Non-expiring Vodafone Dongles available

Robinhood

Unashamedly picked up from elsewhere and repeated here.

The original non-expiring Vodafone dongle appears to be available from the Argos outlet store on Ebay.

I have one of these, and have never topped it up since buying (as it is generally only used for eMail and minor browsing). It still works 18 months down the line.

Caveat emptor, as there were rumours that Vodafone would eventually change the Ts&Cs (but AFAIK they haven't yet, even though they removed the item from their own marketing, this particular version still has unlimited top-up). Also needs care that it is the correct version that is being bought, but the Argos blurb lower on the page confirms the non-expiry.

http://tinyurl.com/donglenon

(Only works in UK)

May be of interest to you people who missed out first time round.  

Thanks for this Robinhood, have just ordered one.

I have been looking at various mobile broadband options since my 18 months of free BT dongle expired - talk about right place, right time!

The blurb goes...:

15 TopUp gets you 1GB of data.

Doubles up as a memory stick using a MicroSD card.

The only pay as you surf mobile broadband with no 30-day expiry.

Compatible with Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Mac 10.4 and 10.5.

3.6 Mbps download speed.

Plug in and go.

See vodafone.co.uk for details.

...so it should last as long as the download limit between top-ups! And if it doesn't, I've had 30 days' worth for £17.98, no bargain, but not the end of the world either. 8-)

Thanks again for the tip Robinhood :-D :-D :-D

Come on motorhomers, grab yourselves a very good deal... ;-)

Hope it's the same as I've got, and it works for you; as I've said, I've blatantly stolen the posting from another site, as I find mine quite useful.

BTW, whilst there were some initial concerns expressed on forums about Win7 use, mine is working fine on Win7. (though when I use it it asks me each time whether I want to go through the s/w installation process, which I cancel - having done it once)

I believe that the only one that had those Ts&Cs was the K3565 (which is what I have) which was superceded by the K3565R (which gave you more topup for your money, BUT with a monthly expiry).

You should probably check it is a K3565 (not R) when you get it.

The Ts&Cs on the non-expiry version include a provision that you  log-on and use it at least once every n months, to retain the account (but off the top of my head I can't remember how many months it was, but it wasn't small enough for us to worry about). 

We still have credit from the original purchase 18 months ago! (it gets used less in Winter)

I used to have one, but the software would prevent my BT one from being recognised, so I managed to take it back to the shop where I bought it 8-). I think you had to use it every 6 months to keep it going, and you can only top up £15.

I had thought that Vodaphone had cottoned on to the fact they would be used sparingly and withdrawn the deal, but if this works or not it will still be worth trying... (lol)

I'll keep you posted...

From their (Vodafone's) current "Help" pages:

How much data do I get for £15.00 on my TopUp and Go Mobile Broadband?

If you have the K3570Z or the K3565R USB dongle, a £15 TopUp gets you 2GB of data that is valid for 30 days.

If you have the K3565 USB dongle, a £15 TopUp gives you 1GB of data with no expiry date.

I recently bought one from a fellow member of MHFacts and he also unlocked it for me. I have used it a couple of times and it seems to work OK.

From seeing how much of the 1 gig I have used so far, I think it will last me a long time. :-D

I have had my Vodaphone dongle for a couple of years, do not use it very often and have never topped it up, but now need to do so.

The reason being I tried it to see how the streaming from You Tube was. It was ok but my balance dropped like a stone and reched zero.

It does work in France and connected no problem, I have left it for many months at a time and it carried on working.

Clive.

coach2000 - 2011-02-03 3:26 PM

I have had my Vodaphone dongle for a couple of years, do not use it very often and have never topped it up, but now need to do so.

The reason being I tried it to see how the streaming from You Tube was. It was ok but my balance dropped like a stone and reched zero.

It does work in France and connected no problem, I have left it for many months at a time and it carried on working.

Clive.

I have also been warned that YouTube is a very heavy draw if you have a limited allowance for surfing.

Robinhood - 2011-02-03 10:43 AM

From their (Vodafone's) current "Help" pages:

How much data do I get for £15.00 on my TopUp and Go Mobile Broadband?

If you have the K3570Z or the K3565R USB dongle, a £15 TopUp gets you 2GB of data that is valid for 30 days.

If you have the K3565 USB dongle, a £15 TopUp gives you 1GB of data with no expiry date.

How can anyone know that the dongle on sale is in fact a K3565. I've looked at both the e-bay site and the vodaphone site and no where can I see any reference to K3565. I remain yours puzzled.

starvin marvin - 2011-02-03 8:28 PM How can anyone know that the dongle on sale is in fact a K3565. I've looked at both the e-bay site and the vodaphone site and no where can I see any reference to K3565. I remain yours puzzled.

There is no reference to the number (K3565) hence my statement of "caveat emptor".

However, if you use the supplied link and scroll down the page, you will find the words (as Oldlowie posted above)

£15 TopUp gets you 1GB of data.
Doubles up as a memory stick using a MicroSD card.
The only pay as you surf mobile broadband with no 30-day expiry.
Compatible with Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Mac 10.4 and 10.5.
3.6 Mbps download speed.
Plug in and go.
See vodafone.co.uk for details.

Which is more conclusive than the number - and sufficient to take action on if it turns out not to be correct.

(It just so happens that the K3565 is the only dongle they sold that these words applied to, and it is the easiest way to check when/if you receive one).

Edit:

BTW, if you follow the Argos Outlet link, they are selling the 3GB expiring version as well for 18.99 on a separate listing. So a good chance this is the non-expiring.

starvin marvin - 2011-02-03 8:28 PM

How can anyone know that the dongle on sale is in fact a K3565. I've looked at both the e-bay site and the vodaphone site and no where can I see any reference to K3565. I remain yours puzzled.

"Faint heart never won fair lady..." ;-)

747 - 2011-02-03 10:42 PM I have heard that the Vodaphone 30 day deal for 3 gig for £15 will shortly be 2 gig for £15. I suppose they have to recoup the millions they will lose after the forced reduction in roaming charges.

AFAIK it happened on the 1st of this Month, and is in line with the extract from their current help pages I posted above. 

They do appear to work abroad but don't bother trying it will cost you a fortune.

Don't bother putting a Micro SD card in & using as a memory stick, has to have the Vodafone software loaded on the PC before it will recognise it . Not much good if you are transferring data between PC's.

Recently Vodafone stopped access to their SMTP server for PAYG customers.

Apart from the above works treat in Windows.

Has anyone had any luck getting it to work with Linux?

Installed the drivers OK and the system recognises it but every time I connect it drops the connection.

Excuse My Ignorance in these Matter,s ,I ,m still catching up with some of the technology, I have just Bought one from e bay, do I have to top it up with £15 right away and can this be done at any mobile phone shop,? also whilst I remember, any idea,s where I  can get Unlock codes for my Blackberry 8830 or does this need to be done by a mobile phone shop ?,   ( 5o mile away )  Many thanks.

Corky 8 - 2011-02-04 2:42 PM Excuse My Ignorance in these Matter,s ,I ,m still catching up with some of the technology, I have just Bought one from e bay, do I have to top it up with £15 right away and can this be done at any mobile phone shop,?

Comes with the first 1GB included, (of which I still have some left after months of use) you only need to top-up after you've (almost?) used that. You can top up in various ways, online, via voucher, etc. as you can a mobile 'phone, but AFAIK, for this particular device it has to be £15 at a time.

Edit:

after posting that, I had a think, and I'm not sure it is true - as I bought mine at a Vodafone shop when they were still on open sale, I think I might have bought a top-up at the same time. :-S 

Further Edit.

I'm going to see if I can find my original box, but I don't remember topping up, and the current devices come with an initial loading, so I think it may well include an allowance. Wish I could make my mind up  :-s

Further Further edit.  :-O

Research elsewhere indicates that if they truly are K3565, they come with 1GB included.

laimeduck - 2011-02-04 9:27 AM Just what I've been looking for - have bought one this morning. However I'm somewhat confused in one respect? Robinhood & advert says only works in UK? Clive says works in France? Is this the same dongle? Regards Jeremy

I was only quoting what I was told on purchase, and also still appears on the Vodafone website:

You need the K3565R pay as you go USB Modem stick to use abroad, the older K3565 model only works in the UK.

The R version was the expiring-credit type released when Vodafone took the non-expiring version off the market. (And people started scouring the shelves for unsold non-expiring versions).

People may however have tried it abroad and found it to work - I've never bothered, as I believed the costs would be prohibitive anyway. 

Had a look at the link in the first post but nowhere can I see details regarding the number of Gbytes etc or the expiry time etc etc . Have I missed something on the web site

Edit. Sorry folks, did not scroll down far enough. Found it now and gonna order one

Thanks.

Robinhood - 2011-02-04 3:50 PM
Corky 8 - 2011-02-04 2:42 PM Excuse My Ignorance in these Matter,s ,I ,m still catching up with some of the technology, I have just Bought one from e bay, do I have to top it up with £15 right away and can this be done at any mobile phone shop,?

Comes with the first 1GB included, (of which I still have some left after months of use) you only need to top-up after you've (almost?) used that. You can top up in various ways, online, via voucher, etc. as you can a mobile 'phone, but AFAIK, for this particular device it has to be £15 at a time.

Edit:

after posting that, I had a think, and I'm not sure it is true - as I bought mine at a Vodafone shop when they were still on open sale, I think I might have bought a top-up at the same time. :-S 

Further Edit.

I'm going to see if I can find my original box, but I don't remember topping up, and the current devices come with an initial loading, so I think it may well include an allowance. Wish I could make my mind up  :-s

Further Further edit.  :-O

Research elsewhere indicates that if they truly are K3565, they come with 1GB included.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif  Thank you, Much Obliged to you,For the link and the Reply,  safe Journey,s.

Archived