Storage insurance

spinner

It depends on the terms and conditions of storage.

When I worked part time in my post retirement job for a car dealership we had several Sony radios stolen from brand new vehicles on a large CASSOA gold storage facility with 24 hour security guards on site.

The garage was unable to claim against the storage site and had to rely on its own insurance arrangements due to the terms and conditions under which vehicles were stored.

Usually the trick is to pay the security guys NOT to nick your stuff as its them that do it. The more secure the compound the better chance for them.

I have had 25 years experience of shows etc and watched many a firm get broken into but nobody sees anything - funny that as they are the only ones with access.

One boss put cameras to watch all sides and take recordings. The boys shone bright lights in the cameras ,stole the cameras and the DVD recorders and then robbed the stand at the show.

dikyenfo - 2011-02-03 2:34 PM

Usually the trick is to pay the security guys NOT to nick your stuff as its them that do it. The more secure the compound the better chance for them.

I have had 25 years experience of shows etc and watched many a firm get broken into but nobody sees anything - funny that as they are the only ones with access.

One boss put cameras to watch all sides and take recordings. The boys shone bright lights in the cameras ,stole the cameras and the DVD recorders and then robbed the stand at the show.

I ran my own storage site and when I queried about insurance for stored vans I was told that you cannot insure something that does not belong to you or that you don't have an interest in. (ie hire Purchase). I had Business Insurance that included public liability, as a result I had a condition of storage that all vans had to be covered by their owners while in storage.

In my case the thefts I had were traced 1. to a local Garage. 2. Vans were being taken from three sites two in the North East and one at York to a gypsy site in Carlisle. They were being then transported to the Irish Ferry by a legitimate haulage firm. The ferry company were only listing them as blue and while caravan or brown and white caravan and accepting a X as a signature for them being booked in. Incidental the guy they caught had a Mercedes car that had been loaned to him by a caravan dealer in the south of England.

On the day I ceased trading the garage were caught red handed with vans hooked up ready to go. This was spotted by a former customer who saw his father in law's van hooked up to another car. He insisted the police go with him to the compound.

I would say to the OP that it would be a claim for their own insurance.

So why do we pay for the gold award cert sites if theives can still get into the componds. There are cameras on our site but our habitation door, where the little so on so's got in, is not in veiw of the camera!!! so I have been told. Guess whats just come through the post, storage renewal and its gone up £20....

So why do we pay for the gold award cert sites if theives can still get into the componds. There are cameras on our site but our habitation door, where the little so on so's got in, is not in veiw of the camera!!! so I have been told. Guess whats just come through the post, storage renewal and its gone up £20....

Archived