Van Insurance

AJSIL

Hi, we own an autosleeper symbol (Peugeot Boxer) and we're currently having trouble finding insurers. We work as a mature couple on a campsite abroad for six months, and then we spend time travelling on the continent in our van, so we are out of the country most of the year. We do not own another vehicle, and this seems to be problematic to insurers even though we have many years no claims and we both have clean driving licenses. The policies quoted have been very high, but now insurers are saying that they can not insure people like us, especially as we are working some of the time (even though where we are going is really low risk and we do NOT use our van for any business)!! Anyone got any ideas? :-S

As an alternative, you might like to check out the insurance being promoted on Motorhome Facts, which is underwritten by Aviva. 

You might also like to check out who underwrites Saga's insurance, where they are based, who regulates them, and who ultimately owns them.  I have no special knowledge of the insurance industry, but it didn't quite give me a feeling of confidence, although I must say I haven't heard/read any bad reports if the product.

I am in the process of renewing my ins for 1/3/11

Quote £416 Caravan guard (Current insurer)

Safeguard £295.

B oth include overseas breakdown cover

Still to get a couple more quotes.

Any one used Safeguard?

May try Saga , but have never yet had a good quote from them on cars

Any one recommend a company?

PJay

Have been with Safeguard for 7 years, not always the cheapest but I have had good value. I have needed their help 3 times. One breakdown and 2 accidents. One of the accidents was in France and their service was second to none.

As long as they are reasonably competitive I will continue to use them.

Are you sure about that?  Scenic says it is part of Swinton (who are French owned), and Manchester based, while Comfort is independent, and Dagenham based.  Can't quite see where the synergy would come in, unless Comfort is in the process of being acquired by Swinton (who have two Dagenham branches already).

my comfort quote is slightly higher this year, than last so i got a quote off saga (best quote), motorhomefacts, caravan guard and safeguard who im sure are the company that passed me to their budget branch, scenic(who were very expensive!!!)

i had a claim when with safeguard some years ago, and i agree that they were very good.

my comfort quote is slightly higher this year, than last so i got a quote off saga (best quote), motorhomefacts, caravan guard and safeguard who im sure are the company that passed me to their budget branch, scenic(who were very expensive!!!)

i had a claim when with safeguard some years ago, and i agree that they were very good.

Hi AJSIL

My partner Charles and I also work as mature couriers in France for the summer, and I had a problem getting insurance when we first started 3 years ago, I finally managed to get insurance with the Camping and Caravanning club, they do 365 days European cover and were happy with the fact that we were working too and living in our motorhome. We don't travel for the rest of the time when not working though, we come home after 6 months and then get all the jobs done at home before we do our own thing again. I think you need to be members of the C&CC to take their insurance though. Hope this helps

Carol

Brian Kirby - 2011-02-05 4:20 PMAre you sure about that?  Scenic says it is part of Swinton (who are French owned), and Manchester based, while Comfort is independent, and Dagenham based.  Can't quite see where the synergy would come in, unless Comfort is in the process of being acquired by Swinton (who have two Dagenham branches already).

Well, only going by what the operative told me .............. !

I had thought that they would know, but hey, nothing would surprise me.

AJSIL - 2011-02-08 5:47 PM Thanks for that info. Guess we ought to join the C & C club! Cheers! :-)

AJSIL, If you go with CC you will have to get breakdown cover separately which they recommend Green Flag.

Dave

I Should learn to read the post better. It's the Caravan Club that I'm referring to, not the C & C club, Sorry 8-)

Just renewed mine with comfort - they had increased their price, so I got alternative quotes - some lower, then bargained with comfort who then lowered theirs! It pays to ask!

Result - £318 by Aviva, including 1 years breakdown with RAC

(Last year was £322)

Now - my wife is an insurance broker which helps!

Jeremy

I have my car and motorhome insured with LV. I just renewed my Car for £146 and the Van for £243. I do not need breakdown cover with my insurance. I have breakbown cover that allows me to drive anywhere in europe and any type of vehicle that i my licence covers with the owners permission

I have my car and motorhome insured with LV. I just renewed my Car for £146 and the Van for £243. I do not need breakdown cover with my insurance. I have breakbown cover that allows me to drive anywhere in europe and any type of vehicle that i my licence covers with the owners permission

AJSIL - 2011-02-08 5:43 PM

We used Safeguard last year, but I felt that we were mis-sold, so I wasn't keen to use them this year. I think it depends what your criteria are, and if you have access to another vehicle or not.

What was the mis-sell ? Please

I am considering going to them

PJay

PJay - 2011-02-04 3:20 PM

I am in the process of renewing my ins for 1/3/11

Quote £416 Caravan guard (Current insurer)

Safeguard £295.

B oth include overseas breakdown cover

Still to get a couple more quotes.

Any one used Safeguard?

May try Saga , but have never yet had a good quote from them on cars

Any one recommend a company?

PJay

I'm with Safeguard. Service received has always been good. Just renewed for my second year at £477. Not cheap - your quote seems excellent value - but no mileage or duration abroad limitations. Recovery service also covers vans over 7 metres and over 3500 Kg which I need, and something which many recovery services do not. I got two quotations from the Caravan Club - around the same or more expensive.

Richard.

I'm with Safeguard and my quote last time was £420. I have changed my 1994 Duetto to a 1999 Polensa, so more valuable and also bigger and now a coachbuilt instead of van conversion. I rang around to see if I could better £420 and decided to go with Comfort at £295, but I then found out that Comfort do not do PNCB so if I had a accident my premium next time would have been sky high. With Safeguard you automatically get a second named driver with no further expense. I went back to Safeguard and told them I was thinking of changing and they offered a £30 cash back after 3 months so I've paid £390, I've stayed with them.

Dave

Archived