Van Insurance

AJSIL

Hello i'm resident in UK and i'm also finding difficult to insure my pickup with a 365 EU cover.

i only found few insurers that do that and the prices are sky high.

on the European Commission website i found the DIRECTIVE 2009/103/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 16 September 2009

i'm not English and i am NOT a lawyer but for what i understood this directive imposes insurers of all EU countries to cover all motor vehicle for the full length of the contract, even if they tell us that we are cover only for a limited time or short trips (21 - 30 or 90 days trip)

on paragraph 25 says:

Some insurance undertakings insert into insurance

policies clauses to the effect that the contract will be

cancelled if the vehicle remains outside the Member

State of registration for longer than a specified period.

This practice is in conflict with the principle set out in

this Directive, according to which compulsory motor

insurance should cover, on the basis of a single

premium, the entire territory of the Community. It

should therefore be specified that the insurance cover is

to remain valid during the whole term of the contract,

irrespective of whether the vehicle remains in another

Member State for a particular period, without prejudice

to the obligations under Member States’ national legislation

with respect to the registration of vehicles.

this is the link to the full Directive:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:263:0011:0031:EN:PDF

can anyway help me or confirm what i understood?

grazie

fabio

Brian Kirby - 2011-02-05 4:20 PM

Are you sure about that?  Scenic says it is part of Swinton (who are French owned), and Manchester based, while Comfort is independent, and Dagenham based.  Can't quite see where the synergy would come in, unless Comfort is in the process of being acquired by Swinton (who have two Dagenham branches already).

Scenic & Safeguard are both part of Swinton and based in the same offices in a village just north of Leeds I went to their offices a a while ago to do a survey for a digital signage equipment install.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2011-02-05 4:20 PM

Are you sure about that?  Scenic says it is part of Swinton (who are French owned), and Manchester based, while Comfort is independent, and Dagenham based.  Can't quite see where the synergy would come in, unless Comfort is in the process of being acquired by Swinton (who have two Dagenham branches already).

I thought Scenic were part of Safeguard, as when I called them last week they actualy put me through to Scenic to get a better quote, when I said Safeguards quote was not as good as others could offer :-S

Makes you wonder how many actual companies there are :-S

Archived