importing m.home from europe

nichosi

What are the implication of buying a used motorhome in Germany & importing in the Uk.

I have a few Euros left in europe to use so no exchange rates are involved.

But what will be required here to own it registered.

Where will it be registered when I drive it here.

Has anybody experienced these seller below?

http://www.duerrwang.de/Second-Hand-vehicles.reisemobile_gebraucht.0.html?&L=2

Guest JudgeMental

you just go to your local DVLA and register it (import pack available if you call them) You may have to bring it in for an inspection that will require an MPH speedo and UK compliant lighting. if over 6 months old and 6000Km on the clock vat not payable in UK so bit easier with a used van.

the dealer you mention are well known and will talk you through the process, and supply you with export plates and third party insurance, to get you back to the UK. your UK insurance will kick in from the docks, insured on the vehicles VIN. make sure you get a COC (certificate of conformity) from German dealer.

It really is not that difficult :-D

Guest JudgeMental
nichosi - 2011-02-03 6:28 PM

thank you,

can you remember the cost involved of all that in UK please.

about £1000- £2000 best to look at other thread as Brian advised...

Or save yourself all the bother and stress and buy my van which is already here and in classified section! :-D

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/classifieds/search.asp

Lots of Photos on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eddieoc/sets/72157625484430672/with/5213807571

• 3 weeks later...

We have an imported m/home, though ours was already sorted long before we bought it.

Our headlamps pass the MOT every year with Halfords type plastic stick on deflectors on upside down, they've been in place since we bought it 3 years ago.

For the speedo there is what looks suspiciously like a transfer stuck on the plastic screen that covers the dials, and it is just a thin curved line with marks and numerals at 30 - 50 - and 70. It's not really in the right place, but it gets the van through the MOT and I always do the 5/8 ths mental arithmetic to work out my speed in the UK.

AGD

We have an imported m/home, though ours was already sorted long before we bought it.

Our headlamps pass the MOT every year with Halfords type plastic stick on deflectors on upside down, they've been in place since we bought it 3 years ago.

For the speedo there is what looks suspiciously like a transfer stuck on the plastic screen that covers the dials, and it is just a thin curved line with marks and numerals at 30 - 50 - and 70. It's not really in the right place, but it gets the van through the MOT and I always do the 5/8 ths mental arithmetic to work out my speed in the UK.

AGD

The UK's MOT test checks a motorhome's headlight beam pattern. As long as that pattern complies with the test's requirements, then the motorhome should not be failed. 'Beam benders' and 'masks' are permissible means to obtain the requisite pattern when the motorhome has lights designed for 'right-hand traffic' (ie. headlights designed to dip to the right).

The operation and/or markings of a motorhome's speedometer are (currently) not included in the MOT test.

HOWEVER, any motorhome registered in the UK must legally have headlamps suitable for our 'left-hand traffic' (ie. that dip to the left) and beam-benders or masks are NOT permissible to obtain the required left-dipping pattern. Additionally, any motorhome registered in the UK must legally have an operational speedometer able to display (day or night) to the driver the motorhome's speed in kmh and mph.

This is not a contradiction. The legal requirements I've stated in my last paragraph relate to when the motorhome is first registered in the UK. The MOT test is a completely separate safety test with different rules.

In AGD's case, his motorhome will (and should) pass our MOT test, but it's headlights are definitely illegal. Whether the speedometer marking is legal is moot - there are specific regulations relating to how speedometer 'scales' may be graduated and it's highly unlikely that roughly marking the 30, 50 and 70 mph points would be acceptable.

My T4 california passed the VOSA inspection when imported with masks on the headlights and a sticker on the speedo.

VOSA State

"It will depend on how the vehicle is set up but generally the

headlight will need to be suitable for driving on the left hand

side of the road so that it does not dazzle other road users, the

speedo should show mph"

The rear fog light needs to be on the offside if only one is fitted.

H

Archived