Cold in the rear

pointy

On both our previous Rapido 710F (previous Fiat chassis), and current Bustner Marano (on the new Fiat chassis) there is a rear heater from the engine fitted.

We find this excellent,and gives us the oppoortunity to have coffee stops even on the coldest winter day in a lovely warm rear lounge of the motorhome. Also for driving, it gives very good heat at the rear,whilst being able to have cooler air to keep us awake at the front.

I don't think I have ever seen this fitted to a UK made motorhome, though!

Keith T - 2011-02-08 11:10 PM On both our previous Rapido 710F (previous Fiat chassis), and current Bustner Marano (on the new Fiat chassis) there is a rear heater from the engine fitted. I don't think I have ever seen this fitted to a UK made motorhome, though!

Swift have used them, as I've seen them factory fitted to Kontiki's at least.

Unfortunately, many converters, including Swift and (AFAIK) Rapido have now moved to fitting secumotion regulators, to allow for the use of gas heating in transit. 

Given the running costs, and that it is (reputedly) illegal in a good few countries, this seems a retrograde step to me (but is presumably somewhat cheaper - and lighter - for the converter to fit).

Robinhood - 2011-02-09 8:17 AM
Keith T - 2011-02-08 11:10 PM On both our previous Rapido 710F (previous Fiat chassis), and current Bustner Marano (on the new Fiat chassis) there is a rear heater from the engine fitted. I don't think I have ever seen this fitted to a UK made motorhome, though!

Swift have used them, as I've seen them factory fitted to Kontiki's at least.

Unfortunately, many converters, including Swift and (AFAIK) Rapido have now moved to fitting secumotion regulators, to allow for the use of gas heating in transit. 

Given the running costs, and that it is (reputedly) illegal in a good few countries, this seems a retrograde step to me (but is presumably somewhat cheaper - and lighter - for the converter to fit).

Buccanneer used to fit (as an option) an engine-coolant heat-exchanger linked to an Alde Compact 3000 heating system. While travelling, the heater's 12V circulation pump was run and 'exchanged' engine-heat warmed radiators throughout the motorhome's living area. A follow-on option permitted the Alde heater to pre-heat the engine-coolant.The development of gas-fuelled heaters that are designed to be usable while travelling and 'safety systems' like Truma's "SecuMotion/Drive Safe" will have sounded the death-knell for motorhome living-area heaters connected to the engine's cooling system.It was commonplace for living-area heaters using engine-coolant to be fitted to French-built motorhomes, as much as anything because there were French regulations specifically forbidding use of a gas-fuelled heater in a moving vehicle. SecuMotion (and similar-purpose systems) override such national laws and, if a motorhome complies with the stipulations of EU Directive 2001/56/EC, its gas heating system can be operated legally en route while travelling in ANY EU country.This is good news for motorhome manufacturers because a) there's no longer the unavoidable extra cost/weight overhead of a coolant-based heater (as you've highlighted) and b) potential warranty arguments inherent in the converter extending the motorhome's base-vehicle cooling system are removed from the frame.

So you lot are able to get into a car in the middle of winter, that has been stood for hours in the cold and not feel the cold? I don't believe you!!! *-)

I didn't say it wouldn't warm up once you were travelling, just when you get in initially - it would be flipping COLD, just as a motorhome would be, the exception being that a motorhome is a massive space to warm up compared to a car, so would take a lot longer to get up to temperature.

I feel the cold badly so I'm more 'sensitive' to cold cars that most! :D

Archived