My very first "wild"city parking last night alone

Alf Stonehouse

Yesterday evening i made my first “wild camp”that is parked in the centre of town for the night

I had the choice of a main road which is “free of its 1€ an hour charge”from 18.00 to 9.00,a cultural centre parking which is just 100 yards from an excellent clean Laundry(3€ per 8kg machine & 1€ each 10 mins drier) OR the very new “Medatech”parking which is a good 10 minuet walk from the Laundry

The cultural centre is still more of a building site than the media tech and the cultural centre places slope.I chose the media tech,the parking is very new tarmac with room for the largest camper,although in town,it felt cold & unsafe?I parked choosing a place a good distance from the other camping vans,as is the custom & registered to use the internet,half an hour standing at a mediatech PC using my “portable firefox “ or one hour!using own laptop & mediatech supplied cable

There is an underground parking(free of charge for the moment) i didnt try it.I did find an entrance beside the main railway station?Turning in there is a large “dirt”parking which is a separate parking from the main station parking in front of the station or i could drive past & choose the underground mediatec parking or go on around to the cold new parking,

I noticed another place i walked back to find a parking suitable for upto 8 meter long mobile homes at the end of the main platform,at first i wasn't sure as there are signs saying “dont leave things visible”in your car.Even so it had a nice atmosphere,i went back and brought my ancient classic comfortable campingcar & parked.

No traffic noise nor crowds getting drunk on this friday night,i did worry about the trains which were quite loud,happily the last train left at 20.50 and the station master?at 21.00

The Station master returned at 5.56am & the first trains came and went between 6.20 & 6.40 an hour on & silence its proved to be a very good parking quite warm & safe i ve seen a WC which is just 10 yards away i havnt looked inside but several males used it before i closed my blinds so it will at least do as an alternative to a tree extending the camper loo life

This super place which has 8 places suitable for campingcars(longer than car spaces)can be found at 45.25830 & 001.75689

This morning Saturday i went out what a surprise cars parked every where except this quite place(which was very full week days until 17.00)I had intended moving to the mediatech parking Today its used for the market & what a good market it is!I bought dry smoked duck(to try)In supermarkets 32/35€kg shops 42/48€kg at the market the producer is asking 8€ a vacuum packed piece and 4€ for confit but twice the amount!

The kg price for the dry duck was 22€kg the vegetables & salad are on many stalls from the garden prices do vary from far to much to very reasonable indeed!Turnips & potatoes for example varied between 60cents kg to 2.20€kg the quality was about equal just the price varied

The cheese vans varied one with just one customer was not good value at all the other with a very long cue was!

This is proving(so far)to be a very good place to stop,i will move about mid day to return late in the afternoon,at least that's how i feel now.The wonderful freedom of the camping car

:-D I had the possibility to work from home,wherever that home might be :-D My family have a house in France which i thought id visit & work from

The problem was the internet in France just doesn't function,then i thought ive visit some friends & to use their connection but that wasnt very good either.

Two summers ago i used a 1960s VW which i parked on a beach i had a great time,then in December i found i could afford to buy an older camper with more comfort

One thing lead to another & i just left i didnt have a passport thats why i cant leave France unless its to return home

Im having a wonderful time even though finding internet in France is rather boring,i hope Flunch & macdonalds will help & media tecks and post for confidential items ;-)

Im only just getting organised,the camper has & has had a few problems not least the exhaust a dreadful rusty beast under the camper that needs to be changed

Im very glad i came the weather has been ok

Hi alf, read your post, but what town/city is it?

We met someone in Italy in 2009 who was from Prague and he "wildcamped" in the centre of Rome on the parliament building car park! He had his wife and baby with him in a Rimor van. He said he felt perfectly safe because the policeman on guard looked after his van while he was sightseeing! He was there for four days and nights in the centre of Rome for the price of a car park ticket!

Guest pelmetman
Tomo3090 - 2011-02-05 10:28 AM

Hi alf, read your post, but what town/city is it?

Ditto, and what is/are media tech posts, as we found wifi in France virtualy impossible to find, and as recovering junk food addict I dare not go to Macdonalds :D

Im in Tulle the "media tech" is a huge new building next to the station its supposed to be a rusty box?But its a new cement building clad in plastic which is rust colour

I stopped hear to accesses my email to confirm an email from "Flunch"which has free wi-fi and where the food is far better than macdonalds & less costly

i do use it for coffee from time to time as the coffee is 1€ from a machine but quite reasonable & the loos clean *-) After about 14.00 there quite quite, i can plan my route?Organise in peace & calm

The only pity is there are not many of them in west France

I had planned to go much further but the station parking is wonderful :-) especially since im off in town *-)

I have lots to do download online & to my amazement i downloaded this morning faster than i have ever downloaded anywhere 8-) I imagine its because its new :-D

Archived