Morrisons cheap tv

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Just seen a 16"Techwood tv, freeview tuner built-in, HD Ready, Gloss black, slot load DVD player ... and a USB port + an SD card slot...

£99 anyone know anything about "Techwood"

Its got a 12volt socket on the back, which I presume is standard for this type of telly :-S can I plug it straight into the 12volt system on the van (?)

Do not know a great deal but believe is made my Vestel from Turkey. They are a pretty large domestic apliance company and manufavtire for expot world wide, and one of the largest companies making TVs in Turkey, if not Europe.

Specifications for TV are not brilliant but basic and reasonable. Quality - No idea, but they manufactutre for a lot of well known brands but probaly more likely own brands that the big ones. At £99 ir seems a very good deal, but wil be cheaply made. They also make for Mitsui and the likes and reviews generally rate then as cheap and cheerful.

!2 volts straight of battery. There is no way of knowing without testing it. Probably be fine except when battery volts gets low then it may not operate correctly which is common to many 12 volt TVs designed to run of their own switch mode power supply which guarantees a good 12 volts.

With all these TVs you take a risk, they may operate at home fine, but being jolted around in a van and subject to varying temperatures and an electrically noisy supply can have problems.

Sorry I cannot give direct hand on experience of them but is a start to let you know a little more about them.

Hi

The TV may be fine for the use you have in mind. However, it is not a good idea to connect direct to 12v socket. TVs need a regulated supply as we found to our cost when we wrecked an excellent dual voltage set many years ago.

Some LCD TV sets appear to be tolerant but you are taking a risk. A regulated supply costs about £45.

Joyce

Guest pelmetman
Mandy&Andy - 2011-02-06 1:30 PM

Just been out and bought one so they better be good.

Daughters birthday coming up and we don't do TV in the van so thought she could use it in both places. :-D

Thanks for the heads up

Mandy

Is it any good?........ as I'd hate to waste my money :D (lol) (lol)

Brambles - 2011-02-05 6:00 PM

With all these TVs you take a risk, they may operate at home fine, but being jolted around in a van and subject to varying temperatures and an electrically noisy supply can have problems.

Just to add my two bobs worth, we bought one about 7 years ago for the van (14" £280...ouch), and have had no problems.

I'm not disputing his concerns of course merely pointing out ours has been fine.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman

Decided to take a risk for 99 quid :D

Just plugged it in took a few minutes to scan and "hey presto"its up and running, and seems like a cracking little telly for the money B-)

Not tried the DVD yet and the sound might not be up to Bang and Olufsen standards, but for a half deaf (to many years with a staple gun *-) )old b****r like me it seems fine, and picture is as good as our normal telly :D

2 year garrantee aswell :-D

DSCN2037web.jpg.c85d3bb7ad9f1860b68707ae0babd22a.jpg

DSCN2039web.jpg.9f7539a2f680bfce053c391e86ab313d.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Reading the instruction manual (^) and it says you can plug it into the cigarette lighter of your vehicle, so I suspect you can plug it straight into the vans 12volt supply :-D Just got to buy a lead from somewhere (?)

That's great to know, keep me up on all info as her birthday is next month so cannot unpack it till then :-S

how many channels does it have, what kind or ariel will we need for the van, we have non at present and don't want a huge thing will a portable do for UK.

Mandy

Guest pelmetman
Mandy&Andy - 2011-02-06 4:01 PM

That's great to know, keep me up on all info as her birthday is next month so cannot unpack it till then :-S

how many channels does it have, what kind or ariel will we need for the van, we have non at present and don't want a huge thing will a portable do for UK.

Mandy

Just tried it in the van with my "Halfords" inverter and it worked fine :-D .............so saved a couple of quid as I dont need to buy a lead :D

Regarding the ariel we have the Status flying saucer type, but I suspect it will work fine with a portable ariel :D

As for channels, it found all the ones we have on our home telly and a few others................whats Babestation and Gay Rabbit? :D

The biggest surprise is just how light it is compared to our old 12volt with a 8" screen and ways a ton 8-)

Hi Pelmetman

Where dors the speaker come from? Is it at the back., or front?

The one we have in van comes from the back, so have to have sound loud (Deaf ears), to hear it , and can be a problem with the door open.

It looks a s if it may be a better one for us,

pelmetman - 2011-02-06 5:13 PM

I reckon the sound comes from the back as I didn't see anywhere on the front for speakers :-S

Ok thanks for that, so no better for us. Saved me atrip to Morrisons, as not a place I normally shop

PJay

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2011-02-06 4:38 PM

Mandy/Andy, rather than spend good dosh on a TV and then compromise with a cruddy aeriel, get on ebay (£40 ish) or Lidl and get a boxed satellite system.

You'll thank me once you've got the hang of it I promise.

Martyn

Are the boxed sets heavy Martyn (?) as since Dave Newel weighed me I have been very conscious of my weight :$

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2011-02-06 5:43 PM

Dave/Sue, the actual case and contents weigh about 4kgs, the tripod (not included) 2 kgs, safe side? 8 kgs at the very outside. I'm guessing at those figures but I'm not far off..he says without going to the van...

It's in our top 5 best pieces of kit bought. 8-)

Martyn

Ta, for that...... :-D ..............We are thinking in general about the kit we have on board, as we left quite a bit out for our recent trip, but missed our BBQ and the Lafuma's............perhaps if I had lipsuction I wouldn't need to reduce the weight of our kit :$

Guest pelmetman
Mandy&Andy - 2011-02-06 8:30 PM

errr!! what the heck is a boxed satellite system, not a clue on TV's and bits for the van as we have never wanted one and thought this would just be useful for her as she is alone most of the time.

Thanks for any info or links you can send me

Mandy

Martyn? perhaps you can help Mandy and I by telling us if the dish I have found will be sufficent :-S

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-Caravan-Satellite-Dish-Kit-System-Tripod-/360268727790?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item53e1b085ee

Do we just plug it into the ariel socket? and point it in the same direction as everyone else onsite :D

Mandy&Andy - 2011-02-06 8:30 PM

errr!! what the heck is a boxed satellite system, not a clue on TV's and bits for the van as we have never wanted one and thought this would just be useful for her as she is alone most of the time.

Thanks for any info or links you can send me

Mandy

Your wish is my command....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Portable-Digital-Satellite-System-2yr-Warranty-/150411019385?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2305320479

These are portable satellite systems. You set it up each and every time you go away or move your van. It's not easy at first but easy once you've got the knack.

Occasionally there are locations where there is no signal, that due to circumstances beyond your control, like dense forest, whacking great mountains but it's rare.

The 5 mins for setting up, (once you're used to it) is well worth the perfect picture that a satellite dish produces. You can spend bucket loads more to have automatic set ups etc etc but that's another yarn...

Martyn

You may remember a 'television' thread in October when we were looking for a new TV for our lounge, and we eventually bought a 'Tesco special' Technika 32-2010, 32" HD ready LCD TV with built in freeview for £249.

But we haven't got it anymore as about 6 weeks after we'd bought it one of the the speakers went 'crackley' (like old car speakers used to when they'd cracked) and all we could hear was a 'rattle' noise with every sound. Not a happy bunny and we took it back and managed to get a full refund. We then went for a 40" Samsung (which is brilliant!).

In December I was talking to my sister (who moved to Huddersfield and was dropping off Christmas presents at my Mums) and before she moved she worked for Tesco ... she was surprised that the TV had lasted as long as it had as they were always being taken back.

Just be aware if you do get a 'Tesco special' that if you take it back after the 28 days you are unlikely to get a refund, more likely it will have to go away for repair or exchange - we only got a refund because is was chaos in the store, being the first Saturday of opening since the first heavy snowfall at the start of winter, and I think they thought that a refund would be the easiest and quickest option.

pelmetman - 2011-02-05 4:01 PM

Just seen a 16"Techwood tv, freeview tuner built-in, HD Ready, Gloss black, slot load DVD player ... and a USB port + an SD card slot...

£99 anyone know anything about "Techwood"

Its got a 12volt socket on the back, which I presume is standard for this type of telly :-S can I plug it straight into the 12volt system on the van (?)

We run our Akura TV/DVD combi straight off the 12v direct into the tv].

This is what I said on the 'other' TV thread ....

We used the same method with our previous TV for many years without a problem - from 2005 to 2010 if memory serves, possibly since 2004! We do the same with our current TV too - I hasten to add we only changed TV because we wanted one with a built in DVD, not because we destroyed the original TV - my mum uses it in her bedroom now!

By running it from the 12v rather than via an inverter you will use less battery power. There are loads of 12v plugs on ebay ...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=12v+plug&_sacat=See-All-Categories

pelmetman - 2011-02-06 8:51 PM

Martyn? perhaps you can help Mandy and I by telling us if the dish I have found will be sufficent :-S

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-Caravan-Satellite-Dish-Kit-System-Tripod-/360268727790?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item53e1b085ee

Do we just plug it into the ariel socket? and point it in the same direction as everyone else onsite :D

Sorry Dave, I've only just seen this post. No this isn't enough, you need the box to decode the signal too.

So yes this is the set up but it won't give you a pic as it is.

It's the size of a digi box, you'll see 'em on ebay but I'd buy one complete. Lidl regularly have them on offer, (the complete system), they've been as little as £30 if I remember rightly. Ours was £50 I think, it's the same system each time just a different price.

Martyn

Archived