Sites or Aires?

Gwendolyn

Well Rupert, that really is a biased view. I've yet to find what you would term as a bad Aire in France, crowded & not to my liking maybe.

I have had experiences of sites in Spain when caravanning where you couldn't oven the van window as it would hit the van on the next pitch!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

Come on folks there are good and bad aires just as there are good and bad sites!

The main difference is that if you have booked and paid a deposit for a site you are commited whereas with an aire you just look one up in the book, type in the lat and long and drive to the next one!

Simples!

'Orses fer courses innit!

Tracker - 2011-02-13 8:06 PM

Come on folks there are good and bad aires just as there are good and bad sites!

The main difference is that if you have booked and paid a deposit for a site you are commited whereas with an aire you just look one up in the book, type in the lat and long and drive to the next one!

Simples!

'Orses fer courses innit!

Why assume that sites are booked and a deposit paid? In all my years I've only booked sites abroad three times - twice when late off a ferry and I wanted somewhere I could be certain of getting a pitch, and once for Dublin, which I wanted to visit before returning to the mainland.

At all other times, we target sites (if we are using them) and then move on to other locations if we don't like the look.

Sites simply suit our holiday patterns and personal preferences, where we may be away from the 'van for long periods either walking or cycling, and we want to relax when we return. Some people may be able to do this on aires but, in general, it doesn't work for me.

I'm also quite happy to use aires/stellplatze or whatever for overnight stops but generally only whilst in transit, and not for a several day exploration visit. The last two years through Germany, for example, we've done this, using two very different stellplatze. Both were entirely acceptable for an overnight, but neither would attract me for longer.

I can make a distinction, however, for such as the stellplatze along the Mosel, many of which are more like slightly less formal campsites than other stellplatze/aires.

Frankly, I think much is down to personal holiday practice and preference, more a matter of courses for 'orses than vice versa.

rupert123 - 2011-02-13 6:09 PM

The only reason to use aires or camp in laybys is to save money the other reasons given are, to me anyway, simply an excuse not to, admit this.

Are we allowed MORE than one genuine reason Rupert? Because I honestly meant everything I said above about the DIFFERENT advantages of sites and aires. However, I cheerfully admit to the financial motive AS WELL. Having spent far more money on a van with full on-board facilities, than I would have on a less well-equipped one, I'd rather not pay again for the same things if I can help it.

The capital I spent on the van was a one-off windfall, but my budget for annual holidays is quite modest (and all gets spent, whether on site fees or local goods and services!).

Tony Jones - 2011-02-13 10:51 PM

rupert123 - 2011-02-13 6:09 PM

The only reason to use aires or camp in laybys is to save money the other reasons given are, to me anyway, simply an excuse not to, admit this.

Are we allowed MORE than one genuine reason Rupert? Because I honestly meant everything I said above about the DIFFERENT advantages of sites and aires. However, I cheerfully admit to the financial motive AS WELL. Having spent far more money on a van with full on-board facilities, than I would have on a less well-equipped one, I'd rather not pay again for the same things if I can help it.

The capital I spent on the van was a one-off windfall, but my budget for annual holidays is quite modest (and all gets spent, whether on site fees or local goods and services!).

Well OK Tony two then, what is the second one? We to have a van with full facilities, difficult not to these days. Do we feel compelled to use them, well no, in fact would rather not. Shower to cramped and takes longer to clean up afterwards than it takes to shower, wash basin and toilet sometimes rather than go out in the rain. Sorry I fail to see a single advantage in an aire except the saving.

lennyhb - 2011-02-13 7:48 PM

Well Rupert, that really is a biased view. I've yet to find what you would term as a bad Aire in France, crowded & not to my liking maybe.

I have had experiences of sites in Spain when caravanning where you couldn't oven the van window as it would hit the van on the next pitch!

Blimey Lenny your standards must be a lot lower than ours. We have been driving around Europe for a few years now and are as keen to save money as anyone so have looked at a lot of aires, stellplatz etc. Very few would we be keen to stay on but would be forced to if we insisted on just using them. If we came across the type of site you mention, no problem just move to the next one a few miles up the road. Many of the nice areas of France do not have an aire worth the bother anyway, places such as the central part of Tarn Gorge.

Tracker - 2011-02-13 6:23 PM

A balanced view Rupert.

However can I point out that we don't spend our entire holiday driving!

We tend to visit places, towns, attractions or whatever takes the fancy by day and parking up for the night is a necessity as opposed to us deriving pleasure from simply being on a site!

We generally find that the late afternoon / early evening time spent finding and driving to, or back to, a site can, for us, be better enjoyed relaxing by a river or by the coast - where I can try and catch our tea - or maybe tucked away in some scenic location or village where cafes abound.

'Orses fer courses!

Fair enough Rich, guess if you do that then aires are best. We would personally find moving on every day less than relaxing but as you say 'orses fer courses'. Incidently we never move our van from site but use our scooter or stay in places we can walk direct from the site. Sometimes when away for long periods we will stay for a couple of days just to catch up with washing etc and lounge around the site pool with a bottle of wine. Oh yes one other thing we have never booked a site in our lives so are just as free to move on as with an aire. Anyway I have said enough on this subject, guess the lady who asked the question can make up her own mind.

Thank you so much for all your replies [and sorry for the delay in replying, I’ve been away, with limited internet access].

I can see now why the first reply to my OP said I was “brave” as this is clearly a topic which polarizes opinion. Feeling a bit naïve and 'daft' now for posing the question…..

I see we will have to try using Aires and see how we get on.

In truth, I suspect we will use them in transit only as, and I should perhaps have said this at the outset, we have only a small van – more a campervan I guess – an Auto Sleepers Symbol.

3 months using only Aires would, I suspect, induce cabin fever.

And, as someone said up-thread, from our experience [20 years caravanning and camping in Europe] sites are really very quiet and empty out of high season [we had to do our share of high season camping when ‘Dear Daughter’ was young, and because of my job – it’s great being able to travel at other times].

So… next question…..to all you Aire aficionados… are you willing to share your info??? Tell us of some good Aires???? Possible itinerary below -

Vague plan of a route atm is to explore 3 departments of France hitherto only passed through – Jura; Drome; Alpes-Hte-Provence [with, possibly, a detour westwards to take in 2 favourite towns - Barjac and Uzes – and the Ceze valley]. On to the Italian lakes; cross into Austria….

Not quite sure after that.

Czech Republic perhaps [i want to revisit Cesky Krumlov, Olomouc, Uherske Hradiste and Luhacovice – any one recommend any sites in those areas???? I stayed in hotels when there previously.]

Bavaria?

Depends on timing, and allowing a week for our DD to fly out and join us – definitely need a site then as she will have her back packing / festival tent with her.

Thanks all…. I enjoyed the posts and the discussions, and now cannot wait to experience Aires for myself! With some sites thrown in for time to relax, reading, bottle of wine ....

Gwendolyn - 2011-02-17 8:03 PM

I can see now why the first reply to my OP said I was “brave” as this is clearly a topic which polarizes opinion. Feeling a bit naïve and 'daft' now for posing the question…..

Don't be daft (again ha ha) Gwen, it was my polite (ish) way of forewarning you :D

Enjoy, however you camp.

Martyn

Guest Tracker

Compared to some threads on the Aires V Sites topic this one has been remarkably refrained and good humoured!

Of course the real point is neither is right or wrong - just different!

Orses fer courses innit - but preferably not at Newbury race course!

Over the last 4 years of touring Europe mainly France we always use the Aires as an overnight stop , but if we find a nice area we often stop for a couple of days or so then move on again until we get to somewhere we want to lay up for a while where we then get the little green book out CC / ASCI find a nice site and stop there for a while , to date we have not stopped on any municipal sites ,but this season we most probabily will do if we find one in an area we like . Although Aires are good bad and indifferent I must admit on all the ones we have stoped on we have only had one occasion when we had a problem with the locals when on 1st May some of the local youngsters having been out celebrating removed all the hook ups from the bourne on their way home from the pubs , but must stresss we would never stop overnight on any motorway Aires.

Thank you Mandy&Andy, just the sort of thing I am looking for.

And yes, this has been a good humoured thread - which is why I used the word 'discussion' rather than 'debate', or some such word. I've enjoyed reading the posts very much.

Any other suggestions - along the route I've outlined?

Any suggestions re possible sites in Czech Republic - near the towns I mentioned?

As for sites - well we think we know which sites we will be using for staying a while. They are ones we have used with tent / caravan. We have the ACSI book [used one last year on our first motorhome trip] and I think [not 100% sure yet] that we will buy some Camping Cheques as one or two sites we are contemplating do not feature in the ACSI scheme, but accept Camping Cheques.

Thanks, one and all.

Gwendolyn - 2011-02-17 8:03 PM .................. Czech Republic perhaps [i want to revisit Cesky Krumlov, Olomouc, Uherske Hradiste and Luhacovice – any one recommend any sites in those areas???? I stayed in hotels when there previously.] .........

Here's one - Cesky Krumlov:  Closest, so far as I know:  Petraskuv Dvur - Kájov.  Here: N48.81872 E14.26651.  About 2.75 miles West.  Slightly set back from quiet road, good facs as I recall, and pleasant rural setting.

Didn't go as far east as your plan en route to-from Prague, so can't help with others.

Using aires is very popular, especially in France and we have seen many that are in attractive locations. However, there were others that would not encourage you to stay too long. However, please do not use sites just to dump the waste and fill the water tank. That makes owners unhappy and of course can lead to them eventually giving up the business and then we all lose out.

As mentioned by others many sites are quiet and out of high season can offer good value compared to an Aire, especially if a swimming pool is thrown in. Also there is always the question of security in an Aire. Just how much can you rely on others watching your van when you are away? At least a site usually has a gate or barrier and an office.

Dave225 - 2011-02-20 4:39 PM

Using aires is very popular, especially in France and we have seen many that are in attractive locations. However, there were others that would not encourage you to stay too long. However, please do not use sites just to dump the waste and fill the water tank. That makes owners unhappy and of course can lead to them eventually giving up the business and then we all lose out.

As mentioned by others many sites are quiet and out of high season can offer good value compared to an Aire, especially if a swimming pool is thrown in. Also there is always the question of security in an Aire. Just how much can you rely on others watching your van when you are away? At least a site usually has a gate or barrier and an office.

Hi

May I ask, as a newcomer to Aires, why one cannot use them just to take on water / dump water?

I was under the impression that some Aires are just for that purpose, and one cannot stay overnight - that was certainly the case with 2 we came across last Autumn. Also, if Aires have their full complement of vans for the night, can one just use the facilities and move on?

As for sites - yes, thanks. I know that out of season sites are fairly empty - we have been caravanning / camping for years .. and years .. using sites, as, of course, we couldn't use Aires then. It's info about Aires in which I am interested - a new experience for us.

Thanks again one and all.

And thanks Brian for the tip about a site near Cesky Krumlov.

LordThornber - 2011-02-20 5:53 PM

Gwendolyn - 2011-02-20 5:29 PM

May I ask, as a newcomer to Aires, why one cannot use them just to take on water / dump water?

Yes you can do this Gwen. You may of course have to pay (at a borne), more for taking on water rather than dumping.

Martyn

Thanks. All new to us!

Guest Tracker

On your travels you will find that some are free and some charge and others ask you to get a key from a nearby office.

If you look around in hardware shops you may well find various shaped keys for sale that will save you a walk.

Some we have come accross are the tapered shaft 'T' key (like used to be used on cars and buses many moons ago) and hollow square or triangular keys (like our own UK style gas / electric meter keys).

Similarly some taps have no head fitted and a couple of old tap heads of differing size square shaft are handy now and again - although a mole wrench or suitable spanner will often suffice!

Similarly as wide a selection as possible of tap connectors and hose fittings have their place in my 'survival' tool box and whilst most of them never see the light of day from one year to another they have all served their purpose from time to time.

Getting water can be a challenge at times but it's all part of the fun - and if all else fails a pack of 6 x 2 litre Tesco Value bottled Water for 60p the pack - other bottled water is available - will often tide you over - as long as you have a funnel or a 12v pump to help you get it into the water tank!

The book we use for finding Aires is Camperstop, we have used this for a few years now and like the fact that you can put it into your Sat Nav then get to an area and find the nearest one to where you are. This then gives you the page number to look it up in the book for more details.

Loads of them in the book along with quite a few different countries. As with most of these kind of books some of the info will be out of date , they do ask in the back of the book for more info from people who find Aires have moved or closed down but I don't think alot of people have the time or energy to do so. 7000 stop overs in 11 different countries should help for a start

http://www.getvn.com/28b/link/camperstop+2011.html

http://ebookbrowse.com/search/camperstop-europe-2011

http://www.outdoorbits.com/camperstop-2011-guide-book-p-1792.html

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...
Geoff Tuckley - 2011-03-03 4:55 PM

Robinhood,

Good news on the Stellplatz as we are taking the van to Germany this year to travel down the Moselle. Nice to know there will be good places for overnight stops. Did you find that you had to be on them early, like after lunch to get a place?

Geoff,

There will be people better placed than me to respond in detail, but FWIW the following might help.

We hadn't visited the Mosel before, but stopped off on the way back home year before last at Zell am Mosel, and only had two nights there. It was at the end of August, beginning of September, so not the peak season.

We did, however, have a long run out on bikes on the full day we were there, and it seemed that every village had its own Stellplatz, including some very large ones (mainly grassy areas on the river bank).

There would certainly have been no problem getting a place when we were there, at any time of the day, and if you didn't fancy one "platz", there was another within a few miles. (there were two at Zell, for instance, one (next to the campsite) very much better than the other).

The only possible advantage I could think of in arriving early would be if you wanted electricity (which was available on quite a few of them), where you would have to be fairly close to an outlet (and fight it out with the rest that were doing the same), or have a very long cable. (I carry two anyway, and if you want 'leccy, I'd recommend it).

The area is great for cycling, and you don't have to move on far to find another village to distract you for half a day.

Hope you enjoy it - Germany has been a good part of our holiday for the last two years, and will probably be again this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Would verymuch agree with the comment that many sites we use are close to centres or on a bus route including one where the bus actually went into the site. We ahev tried aires but much prefer sites with of course our ACSI card.

Gwendolyn - 2011-02-20 5:56 PM

Thanks. All new to us!

Gwendolyn, I never really fancied the 'Aires' experience and much preferred having a site to stay on. However, having read some interesting articles in the M'Home magazines I am certainly warming to the idea of them, especially as some of these are not just Car Parks on the outskirts of a town. You may find it useful to follow a couple of bloggers sites, probably the one I would recommend only because it is very current is www.paulandlynne2011.blogspot.com who are spending 6 months touring France, N. Spain, Portugal, S. Spain, France. They are using a combination of Aires, Freecamping locations and Sites. They include photographs and I think it will add to your perspective of Aires.

Archived