Sites or Aires?

Gwendolyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now on the move in France. Just catching up with internet stuff.

Thank you spospe for the info, will check that out.

Have to say, so far, we have not really been tempted to stay on an Aire. To begin with we “need” [OK, “have a strong preference for”] EHU and we have only a small motorhome – more a campervan really.

And still finding it difficult to switch the mindset from 20+ years of caravanning / tenting [thus needing sites] in Europe to motorhoming.

There were 2 Aires on our route so far which we had identified as possibilities. The first was very attractive and had hook up, and showers and loos were available. BUT>> the price was almost as much as staying on a site and it was in a not very attractive town, so I could see no real reason to stay there. The next, again, although attractive enough in itself, was in a rather scruffy town and had no hook up facility.

So we travelled on to where we actually wanted to be – a lakeside resort. The Aire there was in an extension of a supermarket car park. To echo JamesFrance – why would anyone choose to stay in an Aldi car park surrounded [dwarfed even] by large white Motorhomes?

A site there, minutes away from the lakeside walk, did us fine.

Now we are in a very pleasant site on the edge of a most attractive village. We are surrounded by vineyards. Very nice. The site is hardly busy enough to speak in terms of being “surrounded” by other types of vehicle….. but of the very few that are here, motorhomes [some of which are FRENCH!] outnumber caravans.

So, the quest for the Aire experience continues!

• 2 weeks later...

Heres my choice:-

1) France passion

2) Aire de stationment-Camping car

3) for more than 2 days a municipal.

Asci card is only useful on sites out of season

I find my Aires on :

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?topic_id=30654

and my campings on:-

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

PS i read somewhere that France-passion had requested quite firmly that their site locations were not posted as GPS locations due to the difficulty regarding access that GPS doesnt recognise.

I guess the difference is in attitude you are either a campingcariste or a motorised caravanner!

whatever enjoy your travels

:-D

Hi All,

Just picked up on this thread, been away on world cruise last 3 months, hence why we have not responded earlier. As we are sure many of you know we are one of the main supporters of the French aires on this forum and clearly do not agree with many of the comments from the anti-aires brigade! It is not true that the main or only reason for using aires is to save money; yes aires can be a cheaper means of "camping", although many more now charge, and who does not want to save money these days? But for us the main reason is to do with freedom; come and go when you please, few rules etc. A close second is to do with location; many aires are much closer to town/village centres than sites are, and you can therefore walk in. Third is to do with lifestyle; sites with rows of vans, many static, shared toilet/showers, lots of children kicking footballs around, always towards us, do not appeal. We fit the model Brian K mentioned earlier, i.e. Fixed rear bed, front lounge, low profile, sat TV, and think of our van as a flat on wheels and therefore see no need for other facilities, hence aires meet all our needs.

One or two other points. Regarding sharing of aires then we have started many threads on this over the years not always with great success, but intend to start another on main forum end this week and with luck show aires are not all "rough car parks" and that there are many more than 50 quality aires in France. (O.K. some aires are poor, but so are some sites).

Aire at Sarlat (dept 24) was mentioned earlier as not up to much but we were happy to stay. Yes it is next to a busy main road and vans do park in close, but you can walk into Sarlat (amazing at night when lit with gas light) and the out look from aire is fine. So it is location that is the reason for staying here, not money saving (12€/48 hours plus services). We did not see any sites within walking distance.

robertandjean - 2011-04-25 10:13 PM

Hi All,

Just picked up on this thread, been away on world cruise last 3 months, hence why we have not responded earlier. As we are sure many of you know we are one of the main supporters of the French aires on this forum and clearly do not agree with many of the comments from the anti-aires brigade! It is not true that the main or only reason for using aires is to save money; yes aires can be a cheaper means of "camping", although many more now charge, and who does not want to save money these days? But for us the main reason is to do with freedom; come and go when you please, few rules etc. A close second is to do with location; many aires are much closer to town/village centres than sites are, and you can therefore walk in. Third is to do with lifestyle; sites with rows of vans, many static, shared toilet/showers, lots of children kicking footballs around, always towards us, do not appeal. We fit the model Brian K mentioned earlier, i.e. Fixed rear bed, front lounge, low profile, sat TV, and think of our van as a flat on wheels and therefore see no need for other facilities, hence aires meet all our needs.

One or two other points. Regarding sharing of aires then we have started many threads on this over the years not always with great success, but intend to start another on main forum end this week and with luck show aires are not all "rough car parks" and that there are many more than 50 quality aires in France. (O.K. some aires are poor, but so are some sites).

Aire at Sarlat (dept 24) was mentioned earlier as not up to much but we were happy to stay. Yes it is next to a busy main road and vans do park in close, but you can walk into Sarlat (amazing at night when lit with gas light) and the out look from aire is fine. So it is location that is the reason for staying here, not money saving (12€/48 hours plus services). We did not see any sites within walking distance.

Hi Robert & Jean, nice to see you back, hope you had a good trip. I have said many times you are some of the most helpfull people on here and I have 'picked your brains' several times with regard to aires. You have always given good advice and pointed me in the direction of some good aires. However and it is a big however, although I have used aires more and always look out for good ones, their are still to few of them that my wife and I find acceptable. Your view on sites and reasons for not using them are the ones trotted out all the time and just do not stack up. What is the freedom on aires you are talking about, you are just as free to come and go on a site. Sites do have rules, on most kids cannot kick balls around anywhere they like, but I have never had reason to question the rules or am even aware of them, many aires have rules to by the way. As for sites with rows of vans surely you mean aires here, most sites now you have plenty of space, much more than you get on an aire, they are rarely crowded outside of August. Their are some bad sites but unlike an aire if the site is not good you simply take a look and move to another a few miles down the road. The aire at Sarlet I have looked at and my wife and I would certainly not stay their and I feel this is the crux of the matter, regular aires users are prepared to stay in places we would certainly not. We still had half a day in Sarlet though, this was enough, and moved on to a site a little way out of town where we could spend late afternoon sitting by the swimming pool rather than in a carpark, it was also an ACSI site and cost 13e, better value than the carpark I would suggest. The other problem we have is in places their are simply no aires, even bad ones. One place that comes to mind is the Tarn gorge, ok I know their is an aire at Millau and one at the other end but none in places you really want to be in the centre area of the gorge. Their are many sites that are within walking distance of towns/villages but this does not bother us, we have our scooter and would rather be away from towns. I am not an aires hater as some have suggested, although am completety against so called 'wild camping', and am certainly not above saving some money so will use aires if they are good ones but refuse to stay in carparks which the great majority are, I am on holiday. So please someone come up for some proper reasons for not using sites other than simple saving money and not arguments that may have been correct even ten years ago but are certainly not valid now. I doubt their are more than fifty aires in France we would use and this is simply not enough especially as all the good ones are far to well known and usually very crowded.

Rupert123

I agree with your view. We seldom stay on aires, As to staying on a glorifed car park, and paying, well would sooner use ACSI sites.. We have stayed by rivers, with permision from the Marie in some cases, but we prefer to have ehu

Each to his/her own.

PJay

Little did I realise when I first posed the question, in genuine enquiry, that I was entering an area of motorhoming which has such polarised opinions. However, I have to say that I have found little of what has been termed up-thread “Anti-Aires Brigade” attitude. It has been interesting reading all the differing experiences. For which, much thanks.

Now, one month into our 3 month trip, we have moved on to Italy and did not stay at a single Aire in France. As I said a few posts back, the ones we looked at did not appeal – either the location was wrong [very nice Aires in themselves, but on the edge of not very appealing towns] or, in an area where we wanted to stay, the Aire was unappealing – an Aldi car park in once case.

I have now come to the conclusion that using Aires is very much dependent on one’s vehicle. Ours is, I think, by definition, a Campervan, thus not so suitable for life on Aires ….. I have started another thread on the subject elsewhere!

Although that’s not to say never….

My well posted and published views cause some folk great distress, (I love it).

As ever, for the trillionth time, use what you ****** well like to achieve your camping aims, but don't ram them down my throat OR have the temerity to question what I do.

Oh put a smile on yer chops, don't you know there's a Wedding on? 8-)

Martyn

bazooka - 2011-04-26 8:41 PM

Hi robertandjean,we use airs and sites,one thing were airs gives more freedom you don't have to return at the end of the day because you've left your carnet or passport as you often do with campsites

Baz

That is what happened to us last year, the girl at the campsite posted the passport and it never arrived, probably not a large enough stamp.

Being resident in France we had to get a replacement from the Paris Embassy, who charged 170€. An expensive night, particularly as we got no sleep with motorbikes roaring around on a rally all night, which is why we left without the passport.

LordThornber - 2011-04-26 8:57 PM

As ever, for the trillionth time, use what you ****** well like to achieve your camping aims, but don't ram them down my throat OR have the temerity to question what I do.

Martyn

Well I don"t know you of course, although I used to know the person whose photo you are using quite well, as he let us use the tap outside his house for water years ago when we anchored in Port Ligat one summer.

Are you really the cantankerous old character you appear to be from reading your posts?

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2011-04-26 7:57 PM

Martyn

Wedding? Bah Humbug!!!

Fair enough Martyn I won't condem you for being soft enough to not be able to live without ehu, insecure enough and daft enough to pay silly site prices any more just as long as you won't bash me for being a tight old git and refusing to pay silly site prices!!

Deal - or no deal?

JamesFrance - 2011-04-26 8:10 PM

Are you really the cantankerous old character you appear to be from reading your posts?

Hi James, no not at all, I'm just having a bt of fun with the keyboard.

I noticed your response to my personal hygiene comment. It was written tongue in cheek, but also in response to the folk that "get by with a strip wash" 8-)

That went out with the ark as far as I'm concerned.

Not for me thankyou v much. As for dipping/washing in the sea, well, if you camped all year in a camper, (as we did), then the sea in Scotland is too cold, particularly in November............

Nice yarn about Salvador. My connection is this, my late Father was a good friend of Dr Brian Mercer, (Netlon owner & inventor), who in turn was Dalis' best friend.

As for the Aires wisecrack, well you're possibly not quite aware of the bilge that gets spilled on here in support in defence/support of some folks chosen camping mode.

Apologies if you aware up to date, but here's an example, "why do you use sites, what's the matter with you, do you enjoy giving site owners your money?"

Err, actually I do enjoy giving it, because, A - it's mine to do with what I want, and B, I make snuff movies of the site owners faces as I hand over my Euros.

Ok, I lied about the last bit :D

This is Dr Mercer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Brian_Mercer

Martyn

Tracker -

Fair enough Martyn I won't condem you for being soft enough to not be able to live without ehu, insecure enough and daft enough to pay silly site prices any more just as long as you won't bash me for being a tight old git and refusing to pay silly site prices!!

Deal - or no deal?

I'll have to call the Banker Rich.

3 to you, (soft, insecure & daft) and one to me, (tight old git) is a bit lop sided. Nah 2nd thoughts, tight AND old AND git is 3 so I'll agree to Deal :D

Martyn

As we suspected our very pro-aires views would not gain the full support of all! But at least it gave this thread a boost in traffic. Thanks for your supportive comments Rupert 123; we will never agree on how great aires are, but all that matters is that we all enjoy visiting France, no matter if staying on Castles and Camping sites, municipals or aires. (we do agree with Rupert that in no way would we support wild camping in France, given the aires network). Reflecting on Ruperts comments regarding why we use aires then we still think lifestyle is the key but to be honest another reason is that in some ways finding new aires and returning to old favourites is a part of what we enjoy when In France. So suppose could say we are "aires people".

Enough of this analysis, will on that wedding day spend time (not Jean she will be watching!) putting together an aires update with a focus on quality aires in as many different areas as possible, but agree Tarn Gorge not great for aires so there would use sites.

robertandjean - 2011-04-26 10:58 PM putting together an aires update with a focus on quality aires in as many different areas as possible, but agree Tarn Gorge not great for aires so there would use sites.

Just had a look through CC-Info's and note that while there may not be too many Aires in the Tarn gorge area there are also a nomber of Municipals with a tarif CC ie at Florac and at malines/ispagnac.

don't be too hard on yourselves and keep the faith!!!

robertandjean - 2011-04-26 10:58 PM putting together an aires update with a focus on quality aires in as many different areas as possible, but agree Tarn Gorge not great for aires so there would use sites.

Just had a look through CC-Info's and note that while there may not be too many Aires in the Tarn gorge area there are also a number of Municipals with a tarif CC ie at Florac and at Malines/Ispagnac both under

Don't be too hard on yourselves and keep the faith!!!

Not sure about that. We could afford to use any sites and do, though we would not pay more than we thought was good VFM, but there are lots of Aires that we will use as we like them as well.

We have stopped on sites that have had motorhomes parked next to us like a car park, whereas caravans have had a full pitch to themselves, we have stopped on some very nice and handy Aires with free use and free electric hook up. Be it site or Aire if we don't like it we move on normally spending as little as we need as a personal protest against those that we dislike and making a point of spending liberally at places we do like.

But so far as we are concerned it has nothing whatsoever to do with the cost only about the situation we are in.

Bas

I'll expand my view a bit Bas. I wasn't referring to value for money, merely some folk are incredulous at site use and therefore spending money.

I mean what do folk want to use sites for when they can use an Aire?

Answer? Because they can.

As a friend said the other day, (boy did he hit the spot with this observation), saving money becomes a hobby for some folk.

The conversation flowed to a natter about a mutual friend who is very wealthy. He won't spend a penny on anything he doesn't have to, i.e.never has a meal out, never buys a nice steak. So I asked, what for? Is his gravestone going to be engraved with, I NEVER SPENT ANY MORE THAN I HAD TOO - SO THERE?

Just what is the b****y point?

You can see it on here in some folks posts.

Not for me, no thankyou. I'm quite happy to spend money on whatever I choose, As Chris Evans said the other day on Radio 2, it's ok saving money, but what are you saving it for?

I loved that.

Martyn (done ranting for now) :D

Retread24800 - 2011-04-26 10:36 PM

Just had a look through CC-Info's and note that while there may not be too many Aires in the Tarn gorge area there are also a nomber of Municipals with a tarif CC ie at Florac and at malines/ispagnac.

don't be too hard on yourselves and keep the faith!!!

Look all you like their are NO aires in the central part of Tarn Gorge, which is what I said. Florac is at one end of the gorge, as is Millac and well out of the best area. Their are municipals but all about the normal price. Good municipals these days, for the most part, are not cheap alternatives any more. the one at Malene last June was 18 euro from memory. Anyway not really my point, Robert and Jean understood what I meant if you do not am happy to explain.

Martyn, at some point it would be nice for you to aknowledge that for many dedicated aires users like ourselves the money thing does not in any way come top of our agenda. Can assure you we do not fall into the "never spend a penny" schoolof thinking, having just returned from 3 months cruise on the Aurora, changed our car last week and change our van every three years how can we! (just plain daft I hear some say). No for us it is the fact that aires are on the whole in better locations than most sites, are, again in our view much free and easier to use and to be honest we just enjoy finding new aires, revisiting others and then sharing this info as wide as we can. O.K. if along the way staying on aires means we make some savings over using sites then that's fine, but can assure you any savings and more are soon spent in local resturants, visiting local attractions etc. We have nothing against site people like yourselves, and as you say if that's how you want to spend your money then that's fine.

In putting the case for aires we have always felt that those not using aires were missing out on what motorhoming should be like; however on reflection it is clear that many do not share this vision of motorhoming so we will seek no more to convert others. Instead we will share info regarding aires stayed on etc which can be used or ignored depending on ech persons own preferences.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I could not agree more with the above, in addition many aires provide what sites rarely do in our experience, that is to be tucked away up a quiet spot in a small village, but with the convenience of a short walk to soak up the atmosphere. Martyn misses one of the points of the free, or minimal costs of aires, that is in many cases they are provided by the local community to encourage the use of local shops / restaurants / bars etc, that's why they are free, or very cheap. Or check out the French passion scheme.

It's NOT about money, it's about choice for us, and the freedom to set off without any pre- conceived plan in mind, It's different full stop. It is best summed up for us by being as close to "freedom" that it is possible to be in this ever more regulated world.

Martyn you want to spend your cash on sites, that's fine, just lay off with your judgments about others motives for using Aires.

We simply do not wish to be surrounded by a sea of other people as is often the case with sites, we have no desire to use a pool, we have ALL of our own facilties on board our vehiicle, surely that IS the point of a motor-home in the first place for many. And as far as we are concerned most sites resemble a modern take on Butlins, the kind of place we would not go if they paid us.

Now must get down to Segre and sit by the river and do a spot of fishing, and stroll into the village for a cooling drink later this evening. you never know we may be joined by one other M/home, or maybe none, bliss.

The previous two posts I can entirely agree with and how nice to read such sensible comments.

I think that Martyn likes to argue because he enjoys it and the same would apply to a few other forum members also. A bit of lively debate makes a forum interesting.

Archived