Sites or Aires?

Gwendolyn

Barry

Some very convincing numbers there.

If your 'average' campsite fee is £20 you would be paying a lot more than that on some.

My experience is that the most I've ever paid is around £20. In fact if it was more than that I would probably move on to another site or find a local, acceptable, aire.

I'm at a loss to understand the comments on this thread that aires give you more freedom - I've never been chained up on a campsite. Can anyone explain what was meant by that comment ?

I occasionally use aires but mainly use sites, French municipals where possible, and I will attempt to attach a photo of the kind I like - which doesn't cost an awful lot more than some aires.

This is a municipal site in Normandy where I stayed in Sept 2010:

rsz_pontfarcy1.jpg.faf880daa1463d97622ad756265b2b1e.jpg

rsz_pontfarcy2.jpg.4db63dfa6db416dc9a70e18f43ad6cb9.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker
malc d - 2011-04-29 10:57 AM

I'm at a loss to understand the comments on this thread that aires give you more freedom - I've never been chained up on a campsite. Can anyone explain what was meant by that comment ?

Not really!

Other than you don't pre book an Aire or spend time to go search out a camp site if unbooked or have to drive to a pre booked site when, especially in France or Germany, a suitable Aire or Stelplatz is often on or close to your touring route, so you can spend more time doing the things you like doing - like touring or fishing?

But for some folks they like sitting on a site and watching the world go by, which could be called a sort of freedom in itself?

I understand that for some sites you actually have to spend extra time booking in and out and some even have key or coded entry and exit - or loo blocks - not that I would find that a problem as we would only be there overnight anyway!

Tracker - 2011-04-29 11:06 AM

malc d - 2011-04-29 10:57 AM

Not really!

Other than you don't pre book an Aire or spend time to go search out a camp site if unbooked or have to drive to a pre booked site when, especially in France or Germany, a suitable Aire or Stelplatz is often on or close to your touring route, so you can spend more time doing the things you like doing - like touring or fishing?

But for some folks they like sitting on a site and watching the world go by, which could be called a sort of freedom in itself?

I understand that for some sites you actually have to spend extra time booking in and out and some even have key or coded entry and exit - or loo blocks - not that I would find that a problem as we would only be there overnight anyway!

What is booking ??

I've never booked a campsite on the continent in my 30 or 40 years of touring, so I'm afraid that none of that bit of your post refers to my "freedom"

But I do understand that on some aires you have to spend extra time finding out where to buy tokens and some even have coded barriers to let you in and out.

;-)

Barryd999 - 2011-04-29 9:01 AM

Well I must say I have really enjoyed this thread! Its clear that you enjoy a good old rant and banter on here. It makes "The Dark Side" look a bit tame! I do however think the Personal Attack on Martyn was a bit out of order, Im sure he is just having a wind up and even if he does really believe we wild camp and use Aires to save money its no excuse to swear at the bloke like that,

Now as I have said I dont wild or use Aires to save money but having said that just to please Martyn and some of the other Campysite brigade, I just got the calculator out as an experiment and on our first trip to Europe in 2008 for three months our average cost per night worked out at £2.50 for camping. Over 90 days. That works out at £225. Now lets say I stayed on a nice campsite everynight at an average of £20 a night. That would be a total cost of £1800. The difference is £1575. Now I dont know how rich some of you are but which ever way you look at it £1575 is quite a lot of money. In fact to us its at least another months holiday (and some).

I hadnt really done the maths before but unless your willing to chuck money down the drain if your touring long term it seems crackers to use campsites all the time. Luckily for us we hate campsites and I research my Aires and wild spots very well to pick out the good ones but even if I did like campsites over that length of time I would seriously have to think hard about Aires or wild spots.

Retards

Barry

Wow! £1500 saving, that's amazing! It's really got me thinking that if I dined at McDonald's instead of decent restaurants I could save about £3000 p.a. and if I bought my suits and shirts off-the-peg rather than having them made to measure I could save another thousand or two a year.

Then again, I'd miss good food and I'd hate clothes that don't fit my rather non-perfect frame properly but think of all the money I'd be saving!

It's really made me think though. Have I wasted tens of thousands of pounds on my new motorhome when for less than half the price I could have bought one of those Wheelhome Skampers? After all it's got an engine and two berths just the same as mine.

Some of you seem to be so conceited that you believe that only you have the right attitude to spending money. If anyone has the temerity to spend money on the finer things of life, such as 'clothes with fancy labels on' or, God forbid, a nice camp site with lots of space and excellent facilities, then we're idiots with more money than sense.

Has it ever occurred to you that someone on the poverty line living in a council house may well view you, with your fancy motorhome and holidays all over Europe, as a flash and rich git with more money than sense?

Everything is relative, there are obviously many people on this site who are not on the breadline and have a reasonable income and money to spare and if they wish to spend the extra £1500 on sites to make their holiday more enjoyable than good luck to them.

There is nothing to be ashamed of in having to watch the pennies and if by not using sites, that enables you to pursue this hobby that you wouldn't otherwise be able to enjoy, then that is a good thing and I hope that you can continue to use aires and enjoy your trips. But please, some of you should stop insinuating that those of us who can afford the finer things in life are idiots for spending our money on them.

If you really object to spending money then you should sell your motorhomes and have your holidays in the back garden, just think how much more money you'd leave when you die!

Malc d thanks for photo/info re municipal at Pont-Fancy. This looks a nice setting, is very close to A84 for a night halt and at 9€ + 1.85€ for electric is very good value; would be happy to stay there if no suitable aire. But depts 50 and14 have many good aires with 2 close to here. For a nice setting, right in the village with resturants, baker etc then St Fromond (on D8 before Cerisy-le-Foret) takes some beating. The parking area is very quite right next to a river and a nice bridge; a small market on Thursday. Free to stay, 2€ for water.

IFor an easy overnight stop from A84 then Villiers-Bocage fits the bill. Now to be fair the town is nothing special, and the aire is at the bottom of the town off a rdbt, in a car park so not very scenic then, unlike St Fromond. But for a quick overnight it is fine ( free parking, 2€ for services). That said our overnight last year turned into 2 nights as we went into town in the morning, found cafe with wi-fi, started chatting with locals and it was after lunch when we returned (remember no need to worry about having to leave aires by noon unlike most sites). Aother British van then arrived who having visited before new a good resturant. So we stayed another night and had a most enjoyable evening. Just shows how things sometimes develop when enjoying the aires lifestyle!

How strange is this argument between people who exaggerate the advantages of their preferences, and equally exaggerate the disadvantages of the options they reject. Why? Is the conviction so weak it only convinces them if exaggerated? We used campsites for many years before getting a motorhome, but seldom used them in peak season. Over the years we have stayed on literally hundreds: since getting the motorhome using in the region of 30 per trip, with only a few ever being re-visited. We have, since getting a motorhome, used a few aires, only staying the night on a handful of occasions, more often using them a handy places to stop of lunch and/or to visit a town or village I wish to visit. So, I have much more familiarity with campsites than with aires, but some limited familiarity with aires.

What mystifies me is the misrepresentation of campsites in this, and many other, strings. Not so much because it reflects a view I do not agree with, but because it is prejudicial, sweeping, and with the possible exception of high season sites in honeypot areas, complete twaddle that seems purely designed to put others off using them. To whose advantage, I ask? For example:

Sites restrict your freedom. Really? I guess they may if you have totally anti-social habits and practises, but otherwise? Barriers generally close after 22:00, sometimes at midnight, and don't open until (generally) 07:00. If that restricts you, good! I like to sleep at night and value the freedom from inconsiderate clots clattering around with vehicles, and then holding the world championships for door slamming, in the middle of the night. (Yes, I have experienced this on more than one aire.)

You have to book. Emphatically, you do not. In UK, with club sites, they like you to believe that, but even there you do not have to. You sometimes get funny looks when you just arrive, and even funny comments, but you get funny folk everywhere so what's new? But outside the UK? We started with a tent in about 1988, and I have only booked twice, in France, since then. In that time, we have tented, trailer tented, caravaned, and for the past six years motorhomed, over almost all of Europe, east and west, never too far north, but frequently south, and never encountered a campsite without a free pitch, and never pre-booked apart from those two occasions.

Campsites are crowded - you are packed in like sardines. Incorrect! Most sites have reasonably marked pitches, the majority in France being 100sq metres, or larger in area. France is exemplary, but the site in all the countries we have visited regulate where you can pitch and how much space you get, with only a handful being bit tight between units. If you think pitch spacings are excessively close I can only say they are as nothing to what I have seen and experienced on aires, especially in Italy!

Campsites are full of children kicking balls around. No, they are not. On a few occasions in the school holidays, maybe, but I have also seen balls kicked around on aires, so why direct this comment at sites alone? Is the almost universal rule forbidding ball games outside the designated area one of those tedious restrictions on freedom? Is there a similar rule on an aire? If there is, I haven't yet seen it.

Sites are too remote to walk to towns/villages. Some are remote, some are not. But then, some folk extol the virtues of finding remote aires or wild spots, so the objection to a quiet, remote, site amounts to what, exactly? If you want to visit a town, or a village, do you really need to sleep there as well? We use sites in/close to the towns and villages we wish to visit, where we can. Otherwise, we use public transport (usually surprisingly cheap and often entertaining in Europe) to get in, or we drive in and park en route, and move on to our site later. All it takes is a little research and organisation, so I do not recognise the difficulty.

Sites are noisy. Well, I have sometimes been woken at an unearthly hour by the dawn chorus, and sometimes by rail or road noise, and once by turkeys - but that was because I chose a poorly located site. Otherwise, as a rule, come 22:00 hours in France, a little later elsewhere, silence descends and the site slumbers. Many aires etc seem uncomfortably close to roads/rail lines so it is difficult to believe they can, as a rule, be quieter than the average site. On a huge sosta in Matera we were one of just three motorhomes, so we parked away from the other two - to be woken just after midnight by an Italian who arrived and parked just six feet from our van. Italians eh? :-) On a site, he'd quite properly have been locked out. Oh yes, and then the German decided to leave at 05:00 cruising the sosta en route to the exit. Germans, eh? :-)

Every argument I see against sites in general, I can demolish from personal experience. I can also tell a few horror stories, but would not extrapolate from these few poor experiences as representative of sites in general, so why do others do this? What is the point? Even seeking to portray the average cost as being in the region of £20 per night, even at current exchange rates, is nonsense. We stayed on one French site where the adjacent aire was 50 cents more expensive per night: to the considerable amusement of the site warden (and us) the aire was packed, and the site 70% empty. So, should I claim that as typical? The French are just the same, quarrelling endlessly over the virtues of aires or sites, some claiming that aires represent "proper" use of camping-cars, others that those who use aires are all freeloaders. I assume it must be an inherent aspect of human nature, but I just can't fathom it. All abuse readily accepted in response.

I was trying to get inside the mind set of the two sets of protagonists on this thread. It seemed an almost religious fervour.

But now I see, the truth is that those who are fervently in favour of camp sites are in the mistaken impression that Aires are exclusively for the use of plebs. Those fervent anti's have an inverse snobbery that makes me want to weep.  

This attitude is exclusively British if you follow threads on continental fora you will not find this constant, childish, bickering.

We have a choice in France and the rest of mainland Europe for places to over night, what a shame that in the UK camping caristes are treated like didecoit, You have no choice and therefore anything other than a camp site is considered to be un British and therefore suspect and certainly infradig, perhaps this is the root of the deeply felt antagonism toward Aires?

And perhaps the anti-campsiters need to ignore the Col. Blimps and get on and enjoy their travels no matter what arguments you put forward deeply held prejudices will always hold sway and of course the British are a deeply conservative nation and the whole concept is new. Perhaps if the Aires were sponsored by the CC or the C&CC we might see some softening in attitude?.

Moi?

Aires and campsites all have their uses and I shall continue to use each as needed.

What a superb post from Brian Kirby! I'm new to this but after extensive research I'd made the decision that in France it will be mainly sites (or in Britain sites and CLs) with the odd aire for an overnight, but only if it's not a car park with 'vans five feet on either side.

His post has reinforced my view, and we won't be booking either, just rolling up.

Great post Brian, well put, it is a pity Mr Retread did not read it. Retread just in case you had not noticed everyone on this thread is British and that includes the ones who are certainly for aires, so what is your point exactly. Even people like myself, Brian and Martyn have all said we use aires on occasion, nothing to do with nationality just a preference for not staying in a place that is less than satisfactory. The French do not seem to care much where they stop, they seem to think they have a divine right to stop anywhere, as long as it is free, and to hell with anyone else. It is mainly the French themselves who are causing problems in France with M/H.

rupert123 - 2011-04-29 4:26 PM Great post Brian, well put, it is a pity Mr Retread did not read it. Retread just in case you had not noticed everyone on this thread is British and that includes the ones who are certainly for aires, so what is your point exactly.QUOTE]

Both Brian and myself posted at the same time therefore I was unaware of his post.

My contention is that there appears to be a touch of snobbery , xenophobia or at the very least elitism in those that sneer at the concept of Aires.

Is that clear enough?

Retread24800 - 2011-04-29 3:55 PM
rupert123 - 2011-04-29 4:26 PM Great post Brian, well put, it is a pity Mr Retread did not read it. Retread just in case you had not noticed everyone on this thread is British and that includes the ones who are certainly for aires, so what is your point exactly.

Both Brian and myself posted at the same time therefore I was unaware of his post.

My contention is that there appears to be a touch of snobbery , xenophobia or at the very least elitism in those that sneer at the concept of Aires.

Is that clear enough?

I don't think that is quite correct, Roger, in that much the same could be said for both "sides" of the debate.

The main allegation (always hotly denied!) made against those who use aires is that they are, in effect, mere cheapskates.  To some extent they seem to bring this upon themselves by stressing the cost advantage of aires, rather that any qualitative advantages they may have.  Rightly or wrongly, this does rather give the impression that they are of the "never mind the quality, feel the width", persuasion.

The arguments regarding convenience are, in my view, entirely spurious, since the convenience of either a site or an aire can only be judged against an individual user's requirements, so that from one place to another, either a site or an aire may offer the desired advantage.

There is a counter tendency on the part of those who favour aires, to imply that siting a motorhome on a campsite is not "proper" motorhoming, and those who do so are somehow inferior.  That preferring a hook-up to juggling with battery capacity, solar panels, generators, or fuel cells, is not quite what "real" motorhomers do.  That preferring to use, and so paying for, camp site amenities, is a bit "soft", with those who do so merely feckless, over-remunerated, spendthrifts. 

So each "side", intentionally or unintentionally, irritates the other, provoking bad tempered responses, and the fight begins.  It happens every time the issue arises and I have definitely read the mutual incomprehension being aired (:-)) in one French magazine, so I don't think this is a uniquely Brit issue.

It seems to me to stem more from the perceived criticism each side sees in the other's rejection of their favoured modus vivendi, or even a secret fear that they may, in sticking to their chosen accommodation type, be missing out on something better. 

Who knows?  Fortunately, I'm not a psychologist, or I think I'd be now be busy writing a research paper on this string alone.  :-D  Funny old lot, ain't we?

Thank you Brian for a well reasoned response. I think you have identified the difference in attitude between the two 'extremist' camps.

Must admit I fall between, Enjoying the full diversity that France has to offer, France-Passion, Aires and for a break, in travelling, even a quiet site.

There are on one side those that relish the mobility of their Camping car, the ability to pass from one region to another and lead a fairly nomadic existence, using their vehicle as transport between the tourist attractions, having a vehicle that is short enough to be able to park where they are going and move toward the next attraction using Aires to overnight. ( The provision of L'electricite is usual on Aires payante), without having to retrace ground already covered. Because we are blessed with a reasonable climate we are able to live and eat al fresco so this type of M/h'er tend to have shorter vans.

The use of campsites for one night is under review by many site owners, insisting that stopovers are for a minimum of three nights, so even if the touring  M/H'er wanted to use a site............

On the otherside there are those who travel to a specific destination where they feel the need to put down roots, get out the awning, side screens, windbreak and Bar b Q etc and then go off on the occasional trip to a nearby tourist spot. Personally if I was going to holiday thus I would have kept my caravan so leaving me with the car for day to day transport. but I suppose that as you become elderly the attractions of tugging dim! Naturally if you are going to spend longer than overnight esconsed in your M/H you will want a couple of bedrooms, full size cooker, 'Sky' etc but if that is the case the sheer unweildyness of your vehicle is of secondary importance. 

Thank you Brian for your two brilliant posts. Sums things up perfectly.

Wish I'd had the energy to write as you did, as you echo my thoughts precisely.

Things seem to be calming down now after your reasoning ... hopefully.

And yet, I still have not had an "Aire experience"! But 2 months of our trip remain [as well as another in the Autumn] .... there will be time....

I have never stayed on an Aire in all my years of Motorhoming, fo no other reason than personal preference and perhaps until very recently a degree of ignorance and fear. However, by reading articles in magazines from people who use 'Aires', France Passion sites etc I now have a different perspective. I have planned and booked my 4 week summer trip, this year heading for Bavaria and my first night stop will be on a Stellplatz at Koblenz, something I would never have considered a few months ago. The rest of my trip will be on pre-booked campsites........WHY ! well my Motorhome is 8.7metres long and a tag axle, I want a pitch close to the lakes that we are visiting with amenities such as EHU and where available Fresh water connection and Grey waste. I could just turn up and hope that the site I want to stay at has a pitch with the facilities that I require or I can pre-book and nsure that I get what I require. As for Freedom, The lakes have boats that will transport us around from/to villages/towns around the lake. There are hiking/cycling trails directly from the sites, there is a bus service outside the campsite that will take us into other larger towns and at one site a local train station that will enable us to visit both Munich and Salburg (within an hours journey). So, stay on site and swim in the lake, relax on the man made beach, BBQ or go out walking, cycling or sightseeing. Freedom, yup I think I am free to do whatever I want. At another site on the way back we will be right on the banks of the River Rhein and within a 5 minute walk of the main town and walking distance to a cable car up into the hills and numerous walking opportunities. Our last site in Brugges is in the suburbs of the town and walking distance to all the amenities. Could I do all this on Aires, well quite probably, could I get a space again probably if I arrived in good time, how long could I stay ? variable I suppose depending on location. Could I put my my chairs and tables out and have my BBQ, probably not as this is frowned upon. But, But, But, if I was not on a time restricted holiday and was 'Long Terming' or 'Full Timing' would I use Aires, YES because I would have more time to see and do things and 24/48 hour restrictions on Aires would not be an issue.

Is there a point to this, YES we all enjoy our Motorhomes and use them in a way that suits our own personal preferences and conveniences, for some it may also include budgetry constraints but for other's this may not be so much of an issue. Is it wrong to have the freedom to choose the type of Motorhoming we want to meet our own personal preferences, i don't think so.

I have never stayed on an Aire in all my years of Motorhoming, fo no other reason than personal preference and perhaps until very recently a degree of ignorance and fear. However, by reading articles in magazines from people who use 'Aires', France Passion sites etc I now have a different perspective. I have planned and booked my 4 week summer trip, this year heading for Bavaria and my first night stop will be on a Stellplatz at Koblenz, something I would never have considered a few months ago. The rest of my trip will be on pre-booked campsites........WHY ! well my Motorhome is 8.7metres long and a tag axle, I want a pitch close to the lakes that we are visiting with amenities such as EHU and where available Fresh water connection and Grey waste. I could just turn up and hope that the site I want to stay at has a pitch with the facilities that I require or I can pre-book and nsure that I get what I require. As for Freedom, The lakes have boats that will transport us around from/to villages/towns around the lake. There are hiking/cycling trails directly from the sites, there is a bus service outside the campsite that will take us into other larger towns and at one site a local train station that will enable us to visit both Munich and Salburg (within an hours journey). So, stay on site and swim in the lake, relax on the man made beach, BBQ or go out walking, cycling or sightseeing. Freedom, yup I think I am free to do whatever I want. At another site on the way back we will be right on the banks of the River Rhein and within a 5 minute walk of the main town and walking distance to a cable car up into the hills and numerous walking opportunities. Our last site in Brugges is in the suburbs of the town and walking distance to all the amenities. Could I do all this on Aires, well quite probably, could I get a space again probably if I arrived in good time, how long could I stay ? variable I suppose depending on location. Could I put my my chairs and tables out and have my BBQ, probably not as this is frowned upon. But, But, But, if I was not on a time restricted holiday and was 'Long Terming' or 'Full Timing' would I use Aires, YES because I would have more time to see and do things and 24/48 hour restrictions on Aires would not be an issue.

Is there a point to this, YES we all enjoy our Motorhomes and use them in a way that suits our own personal preferences and conveniences, for some it may also include budgetry constraints but for other's this may not be so much of an issue. Is it wrong to have the freedom to choose the type of Motorhoming we want to meet our own personal preferences, i don't think so.

Two quick points that have just come to mind having read through the thread.

First many of those who focus on the fact that aires users do so only because they want to save money, then go on to say how they manage to camp cheaply by using municipals etc, not that they stay on 4/5 star sites; very interesting!

Second few posters, with the odd exception, seem willing to share either great aires or great sites they have stayed on. A shame as this would move thread on from repitition of well known views to a resource for all of us who love visiting la belle France. For example the aire at Rugles (dept 27) which we visited for first time last year is of a high standard. It is in a parkland setting, marked spaces, easy walk into nice town and free to stay over with free services including hook-up; no limit on length of stay.

robertandjean - 2011-04-29 9:19 PM

First many of those who focus on the fact that aires users do so only because they want to save money, then go on to say how they manage to camp cheaply by using municipals etc, not that they stay on 4/5 star sites; very interesting!

Second few posters, with the odd exception, seem willing to share either great aires or great sites they have stayed on. A shame as this would move thread on from repitition of well known views to a resource for all of us who love visiting la belle France. For example the aire at Rugles (dept 27) which we visited for first time last year is of a high standard. It is in a parkland setting, marked spaces, easy walk into nice town and free to stay over with free services including hook-up; no limit on length of stay.

..and so we go around in circles....

I thought we had all agreed to disagree - in harmony? [if a bit discordantly.]

Oh why did I ever ask the question in the first place???

Cor! Flipping Heck why use one sentance when a book will do! I thought I rambled on a bit. :-D

My quote of £20 a night on average was when we have cruised around the campsites on our scooter for a laugh, I thought I was being generous as many I have seen in Switzerland and Italy were double that and more and they looked like my Idea of hell but clearly to many on here they are their Ideas of bliss (Each to their own).

Our nightly average over 3 months really was £2.50 but we also wild camp as a preference, probably in places you campsite lot could only dream of. How do we find them? Well there is a section on the cc infos site that lists them if you look. Now wilding on the top of an Alp or Mountain lake is what its all about to us. Aires are great but would be a second choice.

We will never agree, and we all think our way is right. At least there is some passion on this site on all sides which is superb!!! :-D

Enjoy your camping no matter where you stay or what you do, Aire, site or wild spot we are all out there to have fun and thats what matters! :-D Look out for the mad couple on the scooter and come and share a ?Beer!!!!

Gwendolyn - 2011-04-29 9:48 PM

robertandjean - 2011-04-29 9:19 PM

..and so we go around in circles....

I thought we had all agreed to disagree - in harmony? [if a bit discordantly.]

Oh why did I ever ask the question in the first place???

Agree Gwendolyn, now going round in circles but am jealous of thread you started. I have never managed to start one that went over two pages, you are five and counting. Robert and Jeans idea of sharing sites and aires is a good one pity we do not have the resource they have on MHF for doing just this. My wife and I love all sorts of stops providing they are good ones and one site we really like is five star. Aires users will hate it but it is called Camping La Nautique near Narbonne and if we are in the area always use it as a relaxing stop for a few days. It has a lovely pool, tennis courts, restaurant, bar etc. Staff are very friendly and helpfull and every pitch has its own shower, toilet, washroom plus water and waste facilities and divided from each other by a hedge. If you are ACSI all for the sum of 15 euro a night, oh it does have barriers with a key code so you will be delayed for about ten seconds going in and out thus curtailing your freedom of movement :-D.

Sorry for double post, but site said was sever error 500 and first post had not gone!

Yes agree everyone has own ideas as to which is best way to use a motorhome in France and that's fine by us. Just thought that moving on to sharing places we each thought others might like to try, be these aires or sites, might stop us going round in circles! Hope this is not too rambling.

I think it was Oscar Wilde who is quoted as once writing something like, "I intended writing you a short letter, but didn't have time, so have written a long one".

Brevity is a virtue, but it is also a gift.  Like many others, I have always struggled to achieve it, while maintaining clarity.  Many do achieve it, but quite a few of them fail also to achieve clarity.  Bit like the aires or sites discussion really!  :-D

Procrastination is the thief of time, (Edward Young, since you ask) so I've decided to put matters off no longer and therefore rob myself of valuable time cogitating about my response.

I'm staggered at the sheer lack of a sense of understanding and /or sense of humour at my earlier post. Even more staggered at the response by 1 foot, and at his age (84, his number not mine), would have thought he'd have recognised my attempts at a laugh.

No matter. That's all my post was about, a laugh. I know full well there are folk, (oops, should I say people), out there who do indeed spend their time completing speadsheets to micro manage their travels.

And you know what? That's fine, but of course, it's my perogative to have a laugh. At them. If I choose to. Geddit? It's called having a laugh.

I once wrote on here a brief yarn about a weeks travels in France. The first response was from the much missed Howie, (where are you mate?).

He wrote summat like, "b****y hell Martyn, is that it, a bit of a walk, a couple of meals out and back home, sounds like a right boring load of crap"

My response? Ha ha, you cheeky so and so etc etc.

So todays lesson to some, ( 1 foot in particular), is learn to know your audience. You don't know me, and never will, but if you're going to make such comments about me on here, at least garner the wisdom to know when I'm making a stab at humour.

For the record, (for the umpteenth time). I have used Aires, I will use them again. CC sites apart, I use CL's and Municipals in France. When on a site I use my own shower. Because......wait for it......because I can, yes, because I can, my dosh, my choice.

Use Aires, peat bogs, CC sites, industrial estates, Castel €70 a night sites, whatever you like, but don't preach your choices to me or insult my choices and how I camp when on them.

Please.

Martyn

Guest 1footinthegrave

Dearest Sir

There is a world of difference between humor and taking the P***, from your comments repeated below some would assume your comments were the latter. If perhaps as you put it I knew my audience ( you in particular ) perhaps I could have found your comments amusing, but I'm sure there are folk on here who do have to budget, and especially on today's exchange rate of £1 to get you 1.04 Euro it will become an issue for many, I doubt they would find it amusing either as they do work out their expenditure. And yes I'm one who does have to budget, but your characature of those you perceive that have too is not, with the best will in the world, particularly amusing to those that do have to, and it gets less amusing as each day goes by for some of us, including me.

I will try to be gracious and apologise for my outburst, but just re-read your post below and maybe think about it.

"You know the sort, sat around the table with the Missus, explaining to her with a straight face that because of the strong headwinds they faced today, (on the N roads, heaven forbid they should use a toll road), their average MPG has dropped by 5%.

He knows this because he's just spent the last 3 hours filling in his travel costs spreadsheet.

In consequence, they'll have to go on the dry bread and gruel for a day or 2 "to balance things up" No matter says the Missus, we've done it before and we'll do it again, let's face it, we didn't wash for a month and that saved us £2 in Aldi washpowder.

Big smile comes back to Hubbies chops, that's the spirit love, maybe we could cash in a ration book or 2 if we have to?

Gosh love look at those flamboyant folk over there, good grief, can you believe it, they've got that hook up thing, whatever will think of next, they'll be getting rid of the gas mantels next,

So todays lesson to some, ( 1 foot in particular), is learn to know your audience. You don't know me, and never will, but if you're going to make such comments about me on here, at least garner the wisdom to know when I'm making a stab at humour."

Archived