Sites or Aires?

Gwendolyn

robertandjean - 2011-04-29 9:19 PM Two quick points that have just come to mind having read through the thread. First many of those who focus on the fact that aires users do so only because they want to save money, then go on to say how they manage to camp cheaply by using municipals etc, not that they stay on 4/5 star sites; very interesting!

Not quite sure what the point here is but, so far as I am concerned, it reflects my attitude.  I don't want/like big, all singing, all dancing, sites.  Just a site with a barrier to provide basic security; good good, clean, showers and toilets; fair sized, well defined, pitches; good hot water in clean sinks for washing up; from time to time a washing machine (that works!  :-)), and ideally, a WiFi setup.  Many French municipals manage this at reasonable cost.  So, all I would say is that when cost is considered, the comparative value advantage between sites and aires (at least in France) tends to be over-exaggerated in favour of aires.  You pay less, but you also get less.

Second few posters, with the odd exception, seem willing to share either great aires or great sites they have stayed on. A shame as this would move thread on from repetition of well known views to a resource for all of us who love visiting la belle France. For example the aire at Rugles (dept 27) which we visited for first time last year is of a high standard. It is in a parkland setting, marked spaces, easy walk into nice town and free to stay over with free services including hook-up; no limit on length of stay.

Couldn't agree more, and the "sites speak" section of the forum followed a suggestion of mine that a section for interchanging sites/aires info might be useful.  (Not claiming the credit for it, just that it subsequently appeared.)  As usual, more postsers requested information than provided it, and it was never properly set up or explained, so is not much real use.  Folk do seem to be very tight-fisted over revealing the whereabouts of the really nice aires they say they have found, whereas illustrated sites guides with details of the facilities are ten-a-penny.  We have never had the slightest difficulty with identifying and finding suitable sites, and have seldom been disappointed on arrival.  I am aware that some aires are, in effect, mini-sites, with showers etc, but they seem few and far between, and have so far not lain down one of our routes. 

So, we go to sites and, weather permitting, wind out the awning, pull out the table and chairs, get a beer or a coffee, unwind, and then go for a tramp around wherever we are.  Later, we'll cook in the van, eat outside, wash up at the site sinks, and next morning shower in the site showers an use the site toilets.  So, washroom stays dry and needs little-to-no cleaning, waste tank seldom holds more than a dribble, fresh water lasts weeks, and we go out to play.  It's what we like, and what we do, and our compact van suits this mode of use perfectly.

We're not passionate about sites - they merely fill a need - and we would happily overnight on aires that provided near-similar facilities if we could find some.  So far, most of the ones we have seen/visited are, to us, mere glorified car parks with few, if any, redeeming features, and no nice patch of grass for the table and chairs.  On sites, we meet and chat to other motorhomers who do likewise, so know we are not unique in our preferences, and just get a bit puzzled as to why others seem to want to "convert" us.  It all feels a bit like missionary zeal to me (at times even Jehovah's Witness zeal! :-)), and has a similar effect on my sense of humour.  :-)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2011-04-29 10:14 PM ........... My quote of £20 a night on average was when we have cruised around the campsites on our scooter for a laugh, I thought I was being generous as many I have seen in Switzerland and Italy were double that and more and they looked like my Idea of hell but clearly to many on here they are their Ideas of bliss (Each to their own). ........................

Ah yes, but you did not originally say that, implying that £20 per night is about average for a campsite, and then constructing a fictitious financial argument on that basis to demonstrate the nearly £1,600 savings to be had by using aires over three months.  Of course aires are cheaper: no question.  But in truth they are not quite that much cheaper.

As nearly as I can calculate, at today's exchange rate, what we have actually spent, on average, at some 280 campsites across 12 European states (not all Eurozone), over 570 nights, since 2005, is £15.11 per night.  Undoubtedly more costly than aires, but still 25% lower than you proposed. 

Now, on your basis I've just saved you £400, which should buy a decent meal for two, even at a Michelin starred restaurant in France, including a good bottle of wine and a generous tip!  :-)  So go on, treat yourselves.  Life just got cheaper.  :-D

Barryd999 - 2011-04-29 10:14 PM ........... My quote of £20 a night on average was when we have cruised around the campsites on our scooter for a laugh, I thought I was being generous as many I have seen in Switzerland and Italy were double that and more and they looked like my Idea of hell but clearly to many on here they are their Ideas of bliss (Each to their own). ........................

Ah yes, but you did not originally say that, implying that £20 per night is about average for a campsite, and then constructing a fictitious financial argument on that basis to demonstrate the nearly £1,600 savings to be had by using aires over three months.  Of course aires are cheaper: no question.  But in truth they are not quite that much cheaper.

As nearly as I can calculate, at today's exchange rate, what we have actually spent, on average, at some 280 campsites across 12 European states (not all Eurozone), over 570 nights, since 2005, is £15.11 per night.  Undoubtedly more costly than aires, but still 25% lower than you proposed. 

Now, on your basis I've just saved you £400, which should buy a decent meal for two, even at a Michelin starred restaurant in France, including a good bottle of wine and a generous tip!  :-)  So go on, treat yourselves.  Life just got cheaper.  :-D

1footinthegrave, I accept your apology and have accepted your invitation to reread my comments.

If my attempt at humour or **** taking as you put it offended you - sorry.

It was neither my intention nor directed at anyone - particularly at anyone who has to budget to the degree that I joked about.

Anyway must dash, Le Grand Cru has just reached optimum temperature. That's another joke by the way.

I'm teetotal - but Lady T isn't :D

Martyn

rupert123 - 2011-04-29 11:17 PM

My wife and I love all sorts of stops providing they are good ones and one site we really like is five star. Aires users will hate it but it is called Camping La Nautique near Narbonne and if we are in the area always use it as a relaxing stop for a few days. It has a lovely pool, tennis courts, restaurant, bar etc. Staff are very friendly and helpfull and every pitch has its own shower, toilet, washroom plus water and waste facilities and divided from each other by a hedge. If you are ACSI all for the sum of 15 euro a night, oh it does have barriers with a key code so you will be delayed for about ten seconds going in and out thus curtailing your freedom of movement :-D.

We have just been for a 4 night visit to the same area to try out our new van, but didn't stay on that site, although we once spent a night there. As I recall there is nothing to see within walking distance and the pool is cold, so we got bored with staring at high hedges and moved on.

We stayed in three places this time, the Aire des Quatres Vents in the Yacht marina at Gruissan, which had hot showers, lots to see and charges 7.50€ per night. A nice small Camping called Les Peupliers near the canal du Midi at Colombiers, which charges 11.50€ per night for Camping Cars and gave us a quiet night with a few others. (we found a new Aire with noone on it just round the corner, so not in the books). Finally an authorised 24 hour parking beside the canal at Homps, where we will be going again as it is a delightful village and we were with 6 other Camping Cars which are not in the picture.

My wife and I love all sorts of stops providing they are good ones and one site we really like is five star. Aires users will hate it but it is called Camping La Nautique near Narbonne and if we are in the area always use it as a relaxing stop for a few days. It has a lovely pool, tennis courts, restaurant, bar etc. Staff are very friendly and helpfull and every pitch has its own shower, toilet, washroom plus water and waste facilities and divided from each other by a hedge. If you are ACSI all for the sum of 15 euro a night, oh it does have barriers with a key code so you will be delayed for about ten seconds going in and out thus curtailing your freedom of movement :-D.

We have just been for a 4 night visit to the same area to try out our new van, but didn't stay on that site, although we once spent a night there. As I recall there is nothing to see within walking distance and the pool is cold, so we got bored with staring at high hedges and moved on.

We stayed in three places this time, the Aire des Quatres Vents in the Yacht marina at Gruissan, which had hot showers, lots to see and charges 7.50€ per night. A nice small Camping called Les Peupliers near the canal du Midi at Colombiers, which charges 11.50€ per night for Camping Cars and gave us a quiet night with a few others. (we found a new Aire with noone on it just round the corner, so not in the books). Finally an authorised 24 hour parking beside the canal at Homps, where we will be going again as it is a delightful village and we were with 6 other Camping Cars.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk432/JamesFrance/Canals/IMG_0254.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2011-04-30 7:12 PM
robertandjean - 2011-04-29 9:19 PM Two quick points that have just come to mind having read through the thread. First many of those who focus on the fact that aires users do so only because they want to save money, then go on to say how they manage to camp cheaply by using municipals etc, not that they stay on 4/5 star sites; very interesting!

Not quite sure what the point here is but, so far as I am concerned, it reflects my attitude.  I don't want/like big, all singing, all dancing, sites.  Just a site with a barrier to provide basic security; good good, clean, showers and toilets; fair sized, well defined, pitches; good hot water in clean sinks for washing up; from time to time a washing machine (that works!  :-)), and ideally, a WiFi setup.  Many French municipals manage this at reasonable cost.  So, all I would say is that when cost is considered, the comparative value advantage between sites and aires (at least in France) tends to be over-exaggerated in favour of aires.  You pay less, but you also get less.

Second few posters, with the odd exception, seem willing to share either great aires or great sites they have stayed on. A shame as this would move thread on from repetition of well known views to a resource for all of us who love visiting la belle France. For example the aire at Rugles (dept 27) which we visited for first time last year is of a high standard. It is in a parkland setting, marked spaces, easy walk into nice town and free to stay over with free services including hook-up; no limit on length of stay.

Couldn't agree more, and the "sites speak" section of the forum followed a suggestion of mine that a section for interchanging sites/aires info might be useful.  (Not claiming the credit for it, just that it subsequently appeared.)  As usual, more postsers requested information than provided it, and it was never properly set up or explained, so is not much real use.  Folk do seem to be very tight-fisted over revealing the whereabouts of the really nice aires they say they have found, whereas illustrated sites guides with details of the facilities are ten-a-penny.  We have never had the slightest difficulty with identifying and finding suitable sites, and have seldom been disappointed on arrival.  I am aware that some aires are, in effect, mini-sites, with showers etc, but they seem few and far between, and have so far not lain down one of our routes. 

So, we go to sites and, weather permitting, wind out the awning, pull out the table and chairs, get a beer or a coffee, unwind, and then go for a tramp around wherever we are.  Later, we'll cook in the van, eat outside, wash up at the site sinks, and next morning shower in the site showers an use the site toilets.  So, washroom stays dry and needs little-to-no cleaning, waste tank seldom holds more than a dribble, fresh water lasts weeks, and we go out to play.  It's what we like, and what we do, and our compact van suits this mode of use perfectly.

We're not passionate about sites - they merely fill a need - and we would happily overnight on aires that provided near-similar facilities if we could find some.  So far, most of the ones we have seen/visited are, to us, mere glorified car parks with few, if any, redeeming features, and no nice patch of grass for the table and chairs.  On sites, we meet and chat to other motorhomers who do likewise, so know we are not unique in our preferences, and just get a bit puzzled as to why others seem to want to "convert" us.  It all feels a bit like missionary zeal to me (at times even Jehovah's Witness zeal! :-)), and has a similar effect on my sense of humour.  :-)

Brian, sorry some how missed this hence late with response. My point re cost was that aires users, like us, are often told that we use aires only to save money, but then the same people go on to say that they themselves try to save money by going on "cheap sites, using discount schemes etc. My point therefore was that by saying this they ineffect invalidate their own aurgument. I was not suggesting that site users should go on all singing and dancing sites , unless of course they want to. I agree with you sites are a means to an end, somewhere to stay overnight and if needed, use facilities provided. I can understand how for some, users of van conversions in particular, aires may not be an appropriate choice. Nor if you just want to sit outside your van for a week or two, relax and chat with fellow, likeminded vanners then sites are clearly the way to go.We have stated our reasons for using aires many times before and thefore will not repeat them again. Enough to say it is a lifestyle we enjoy and our perception of aires is clearly different from yours. We just had the idea that it would be nice to encourage more to give aires a try, but are certainly not attempting to convert those, like yourself, who prefer a different way of camping

JamesFrance - 2011-05-03 5:28 PM

We stayed in three places this time, the Aire des Quatres Vents in the Yacht marina at Gruissan, which had hot showers, lots to see and charges 7.50€ per night. A nice small Camping called Les Peupliers near the canal du Midi at Colombiers, which charges 11.50€ per night for Camping Cars and gave us a quiet night with a few others. (we found a new Aire with noone on it just round the corner, so not in the books). Finally an authorised 24 hour parking beside the canal at Homps, where we will be going again as it is a delightful village and we were with 6 other Camping Cars.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk432/JamesFrance/Canals/IMG_0254.jpg

James,

Thanks for these suggestions; Homps looks really nice aire de stationment on photo, although suspect some on here will say it's just a car park!! (just a joke folks). Agree the aire of the 4 winds at Grussian is a nice place to stay, apart from when one of the 4 winds starts to blow! Camping La Nautique on the other hand seems one for us to avoid, as like to be able to walk into a village and do not like just sat infront of a hedge.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading all the repsonses and, reflecting on all the replies and all the different opinions and experiences, I have concluded that, for us, using sites is what we want in the main, because we are still “campers” [in the broadest sense] at heart.

As we still have a caravan [and also some tents somewhere] and definitely know that we will use the caravan for a different, ‘stay put’ kind of holiday [but maybe not the tents any more!] then we enjoy looking at different ‘outfits’, different ways of “camping”, different equipment….

That for us is part of the pleasure of this “camping” [again in broadest sense] hobby. And I guess that you will not get that on an Aire???

Not to say that we are not open to the idea of Aires….

But honestly… the latest we saw wanted 15 Euros a night and was next to some construction work, and teenagers were skateboarding on waste ground adjacent when we turned up.

We looked at each other, and at the couple already ‘in situ’, and waved them ‘goodbye’. Found a lovely site a bit further on for 13 Euros a night… What would you have chosen to do????

So the Aires experience still eludes us…..

I think you make a very good point, Gwen.  We have yet to find that elusive aire that makes us want to stay.  So, when looking for an agreeable overnight stop, I tend to research campsites and not aires so, inevitably, we end up on a site.  Most recent trip I tried a different tack, targeting aires for the mid-day break.  That way, if we find one we like, we can note it for future visits, and if we don't it still offers greater certainty of somewhere fair for a meal than a chance encounter with a decent picnic spot.  Have you noticed how all the nice ones disappear at lunch time, and reappear later on.  How do they do that?  :-)

There are some grotty Aires it has to be said but it all boils down to research I reckon and also your choice of location.

The Aire at Mont St Michel and the Aire at Honfleur for example is overpriced and frankly an eyesore. Thankfully the Aire at Mont St Michel will be under water soon.

Just a mile up the road is a superb Aire, cheaper than the one at Le Mont with full facilities and hookup set in lovely greenery. It's just not right next to the attraction. The Aires at Biarritz is 10 Euros with hookup, cramped and flipping noisy. The Aire 2 miles up the road is free and quiet. Having a scooter helps but if you want to be on top of where the action is it seems the quality suffers and cost rises.

For us, I do a lot of research before and during a trip. I seek out Aires that are spacious, scenic and within a few miles of where we want to be. There are literally hundreds that are superb, you just have to know where to find them. The Aires book is ok but some peoples idea of "Very Nice Aire" as they like to describe some of them frankly beggers belief.

www.campingcar-infos.com is the only way to go.

Here are a couple of examples of free Aires in the Middle of August I might add just a few miles inland in Rural Normandy away from it all.

aire1.jpg.c0a9b343012882130bbd8824a68db3b7.jpg

aire2.jpg.87dc4a15d35856587ab928ad81e04c53.jpg

Gwendolyn - 2011-05-08 9:40 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed reading all the repsonses and, reflecting on all the replies and all the different opinions and experiences, I have concluded that, for us, using sites is what we want in the main, because we are still “campers” [in the broadest sense] at heart.

As we still have a caravan [and also some tents somewhere] and definitely know that we will use the caravan for a different, ‘stay put’ kind of holiday [but maybe not the tents any more!] then we enjoy looking at different ‘outfits’, different ways of “camping”, different equipment….

That for us is part of the pleasure of this “camping” [again in broadest sense] hobby. And I guess that you will not get that on an Aire???

But honestly… the latest we saw wanted 15 Euros a night and was next to some construction work, and teenagers were skateboarding on waste ground adjacent when we turned up.

We looked at each other, and at the couple already ‘in situ’, and waved them ‘goodbye’. Found a lovely site a bit further on for 13 Euros a night… What would you have chosen to do????

Gwendolyn,

First can now see why you prefer sites you are still a tugger at heart! Second we too would not stay on an aire next to construction site and skate board park no matter what the charge per night (or a site if in a similar situation); who in their right mind would? Could you please tell us which aire you are refering to so we do not head there. Thanks

Hi Barryd 999,

Agree that it is important to research aires in order to find ones that you will like and that camping-car infos is much better for this than the "All the Aires" guide. Other way is by us sharing "good" aires, as we are attempting to do on the "aires update thread". Was therefore very pleased that you posted pictures of two very nice looking aires, but you forgot to say which they were; could you please add this info? Thanks again.

Guest 1footinthegrave

We are currently in a place called selles sur cher, just south of Blois, which we had planned to overnight at the Aire which previously was free is now 5 Euro, however there is a private site immediately next door which is completely deserted and on the riverside in 27c of sunshine, we are the only "campers" here, all for the sum of 10.50 Euro which includes Elec, and free Wifi ( hence this post ) so a no brainer really. But we have spent the last two evenings on a brand new aire in the centre of Blois a stones throw from the old town, with excellent facilities and elec hook up for 5 euro. Conversely one night on a municipal site in Chartres at 12.10 Euro which was purgatory unless you enjoy the sound of restless barking dogs, and crammed together much like some of the worst aires we have stayed at. So I guess you win some and lose some whatever choice you make. Heading down to the Lot area, we will see what we find there, it will still be for us a question of sites or aires, and we have another six weeks to roam around ! !

P.S. for those that have used the riverside aire at Blois this is now closed due to the new facility ( above ) which is not in any Aire book, nor indeed did the local tourist info office in Blois know of it's presence ( or the lady that was on duty did not know ! ) :->

CampingCar Infos has the aire at Blois and also full details and the prices you mention at Selles.

Blois and Selles were on our preferred route from here to England and we stayed at Selles in the winter until they put a barrier by the road to stop us going down to the camping area when it is closed.

Do let us know of any good places you find along the Lot, as we plan to go there in July.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Campingcar infos is a bit of a challenge if you do not understand French though ! ! but just double check their entry for Blois as most French vans were still using the riverside car park although there was an antique fayre on Sunday perhaps the official aire was full, but as I said the tourist info office had no idea, it is between the Railway station, and bus station ( not as bad as it sounds ).

Also the aires we found last September at Segre, Mamers, and Broglie ( almost a CL feel to it but better ), were both V.good, not sure if they would be on your route though.

Guest pelmetman
Here is the one at Biarritz :D .............New Years Eve..........As you can see its a bit full (lol)

1711920505_DSCN1956birritz.jpg.d1b3fd59487b772072b41f23398a8781.jpg

robertandjean - 2011-05-09 9:14 PM

Gwendolyn - 2011-05-08 9:40 PM

Gwendolyn,

First can now see why you prefer sites you are still a tugger at heart! Second we too would not stay on an aire next to construction site and skate board park no matter what the charge per night (or a site if in a similar situation); who in their right mind would? Could you please tell us which aire you are refering to so we do not head there. Thanks

Well, still a "camper" at heart!

Had our campervan only since last August. Loving it, hugely ... but still love 'tugging' and [maybe] our tents. Just love the whole camping lifestyle. Different "outfits" for different types of trips.

Now on a site in Austria for a bit of R&R, and to do some laundry!! Great location. Lots of interest for ‘camping’ info. Spotted a Swiss car with a tent which opens on the roof rack. In 25 years of ‘camping’ only ever seen 1 other – and that was on a C&CC site in UK.

The aire of which I have written is in Switzerland, at Scuol [past St Moritz, en route to Austria] - a stellplatz [sp?]. After a long day's drive, and needing an overnight stop, we followed signs for a campsite. Site was closed and clearly being re-developed [hence all the cranes and bulldozers]. The aire was on the approach road and one had to pay 15 Euros to raise the barrier for access. The skateboarding teenagers were on the 'waste ground' created by the work. Now this arrangement may well be temporary because of site closure... not sure..

Brian Kirby - 2011-05-09 12:17 AM

I think you make a very good point, Gwen.  We have yet to find that elusive aire that makes us want to stay.  So, when looking for an agreeable overnight stop, I tend to research campsites and not aires so, inevitably, we end up on a site.  Most recent trip I tried a different tack, targeting aires for the mid-day break.  That way, if we find one we like, we can note it for future visits, and if we don't it still offers greater certainty of somewhere fair for a meal than a chance encounter with a decent picnic spot.  Have you noticed how all the nice ones disappear at lunch time, and reappear later on.  How do they do that?  :-)

They just move themselves a couple of miles down the road, just too late to stop ... But I like the idea of sussing out Aires at lunchtime.

Archived