Reverse Polarity When using the Inverter

Cliffy

I have an AutoTrail Tracker with a Solar Panel, double Liesure batteries, a 1800w Inverter and a Vanbitz battery master

When using the inverter (not when on hook up) the Reverse Polarity light on the EC200 PSU 2007 comes on. When I check the sockets with my tester Polarity is OK.

Is this a fault somewhere? - and

Do I need to do anything about it?

Have no fear.

I presume inverter output feeds into the vans mains electrics before the main RCD. Via the hookup lead perhaps?

The reverse polarity indicator of your vans control system relies on the mains neutral being bonded to earth back at the electrical sub-station.

When you run from the inverter this bonding is not in place so the reverse polarity indicator system will indicate a fault.

You have two options.

1 Do nothing and ingore the indicator when running from the inverter.

2 INSIDE THE INVERTER Bond the Neutral to the Earth connections.

This will correct the indicator light and enable the earth leakage function of the vans RCD to operate.

If in any doubt use a qualified person to check your instalation and do any changes necessary.

Further note, my guess from your description is that the way the inverter is wired in it will power ALL of the mains equipment. So you need to ensure when running from the inverter that :-

The mains part of the fridge is turned off.

The battery charger is turned off.

The mains part of the water heater is turned off.

The mains part of the space heating is turned off.

C.

• 2 years later...

Hi Clive

I am picking up on an old thread as I am new to this site and to motor homing and the problems you were discussing are exactly the issues I am trying to resolve.

You mention 'bonding the neutral and earth within the inverter' to stop the Reverse Polarity light coming on within the van and to allow the RCU to operate. Is that the same thing as connecting the neutral out to the external earth connection? Would I achieve a good result by simply connecting a wire to the earth and finding a way to the chasis to make this earth?

You will gather that I am a complete novice and if I have totally missed the point then my apologies!

Hope to hear back from Clive or AN Other.

Thank you.

Dave

davidpenny9 - 2014-01-06 11:18 AM

Hi Clive

I am picking up on an old thread as I am new to this site and to motor homing and the problems you were discussing are exactly the issues I am trying to resolve.

You mention 'bonding the neutral and earth within the inverter' to stop the Reverse Polarity light coming on within the van and to allow the RCU to operate. Is that the same thing as connecting the neutral out to the external earth connection? Would I achieve a good result by simply connecting a wire to the earth and finding a way to the chasis to make this earth?

You will gather that I am a complete novice and if I have totally missed the point then my apologies!

Hope to hear back from Clive or AN Other.

Thank you.

Dave

IN A HEALTHY CIRCUIT REVERSE POLARITY PRESENTS NO DANGERS UNLESS YOU WISH TO DABBLE WHEN INVERTER/ECU CONNECTED.

Leave it alone and forget about it. Do not start to introduce additional wires as by your own admission you are a complete novice.

davidpenny9 - 2014-01-06 5:14 PM

Many thanks for that advice. It sounds good to me although I have to admit that, impatient as I am, I have this afternoon fitted an earth wire from the Inverter to the chassis, connecting where other earths meet. I presume this must be OK? :-S

No problems with what you have done, now just relax and enjoy :-D

I have not added any cables to mine and there has been no problems. To be honest I hardly ever use the inverter maybe twice a year. I did switch it on accidentally once and it let me know with an extremely loud whistle that frightened the life out of me and MOH.

Archived