fiat warranty

andyh

Hello Andyh,

It is my understanding that the 3rd year warranty offered by Fiat Auto(UK) is only applicable to Fiat commercials that have been supplied by and registered by Fiat Auto UK. It also depends on the vehicle being serviced by approved dealers during the first two years and is referred to as an option warranty.

If your vehicle was supplied to a non uk converter and then registered in the UK it may be possible to get work done under warranty beyond the pan european 2 year cover, but only your Fiat dealer can confirm what terms it has been registered under. Your first stop should be a Fiat Professional Service centre and get this clarified. Failing that a call to Fiat Customer Services may help.

Nick

andyh - 2011-02-07 5:36 PM purchased new fiat ducato based motorhome with the understanding it had 3 years warranty have now found out from fiat that they do not honour 3rd year for motorhome conversions. is this common knowledge ?

It may help if you say what van you bought, and who said it had a three year warranty. 

Fiat based vans bought abroad and imported into UK will have only the "Euro" two year warranty. 

Those converted in UK, as Nick says, will have the UK three year warranty (but that third year is not only conditional as Nick says, but I seem to remember is a bit narrower in what is covered). 

New RHD vans manufactured outside UK and imported and sold new through UK dealerships may have two year or three year warranties, depending on what agreement the importer has made with Fiat UK.

However, UK dealers should know what warranty terms apply to the vans they sell.

This has been a source of confusion for some years but as said above a general rule of thumb is a UK Converter buys a UK supplied Base Vehicle and this comes with 2 years Fiat/Peugeot Warranty + an additional 1 year Dealer Warranty, a foreign converter buys his base vehicle in Europe and only has a standard two year warranty. The Habitation Warranty is dependent on each converter. It is well worth checking the Base Vehicle manufacturers records show the date that YOU purchased the (new)vehicle from the Motorhome Dealer, the date should be recorded automatically these days but there have been not infrequent instances where the date that the converter bought the vehicle is the date on the base vehicle database.

A dealer or manufacturers customer care can confirm date of start of warranty. When buying a van ensure you are clear on the exact length of both the Base and Habitation Warranties.

In a recent newspaper article instances of companies declining warranty claims (Citroen) were cited and how impotant it was to ensure servicing was completed on time and as specified in the Service Guidelines.

andyh - 2011-02-07 5:36 PM

purchased new fiat ducato based motorhome with the understanding it had 3 years warranty have now found out from fiat that they do not honour 3rd year for motorhome conversions. is this common knowledge ?

This has come up several times before and I fail to see how their is any confusion. The warranty terms are quite clearly stated in the Fiat motorhome mechanical warranty. However to have this the M/H maker has to have an agreement with Fiat, if they have you should have the booklet. If you only have the standard Fiat warrenty it is only two years if your maker has the M/H warranty agreement it is three. Their is no requirement to have serviceing done by a Fiat dealer, just that it must be carried out in line with their recommendations. If you do not have this booklet you need to check with your dealer not Fiat. If they have an agreement ask for the booklet to get the full terms.

Wishful thinking about not having to have a Fiat Dealer undertake servicing, carry on but how will you prove if a failure occurs say in the engine and Fiat say it was not serviced properly, unlikely a small privately owned garage will get involved. I can never understand people who pay £40000+ for a van and then worry about saving £100 on servicing it.

See Citroen Warranty article on the Independent Newspapers Website, makes interesting reading.

mirage - 2011-02-07 10:39 PM

Wishful thinking about not having to have a Fiat Dealer undertake servicing, carry on but how will you prove if a failure occurs say in the engine and Fiat say it was not serviced properly, unlikely a small privately owned garage will get involved. I can never understand people who pay £40000+ for a van and then worry about saving £100 on servicing it.

See Citroen Warranty article on the Independent Newspapers Website, makes interesting reading.

Well you obviously know better than the Fiat service book which clearly states and I quote, 'You must have your vehicle serviced in accordance with the frequency and content detailed in the Fiat aftercare booklet. Fiat recommend that all servicing be carried out in line with manufacturers recommendations from the date of first registration by a Fiat appointed dealer or AN INDEPENDANT SERVICE/REPAIRER OUTLET'. Personally I never understand people who come on and spout rubbish without checking the facts.

It is not just a question of saving money I am just quoting what Fiat say. Personally I now have my van serviced by Dave Newel and will continue to do so as he can do both base vehicle and habitation at the same time and I get a much better report on the van than a dealer has ever given me.

Rupert is correct, in the event that you have to take your vehicle for warranty during the first 2 years, they will ask for proof of servicing. From you that would just mean keeping your stamped service book and the invoices from the garage that did your servicing. We only get asked for a spreadsheet listing what has been done and when.

Nick

rupert123 - 2011-02-07 11:19 PM

Well you obviously know better than the Fiat service book which clearly states and I quote, 'You must have your vehicle serviced in accordance with the frequency and content detailed in the Fiat aftercare booklet. Fiat recommend that all servicing be carried out in line with manufacturers recommendations from the date of first registration by a Fiat appointed dealer or AN INDEPENDANT SERVICE/REPAIRER OUTLET'. Personally I never understand people who come on and spout rubbish without checking the facts.

It is not just a question of saving money I am just quoting what Fiat say. Personally I now have my van serviced by Dave Newel and will continue to do so as he can do both base vehicle and habitation at the same time and I get a much better report on the van than a dealer has ever given me.

I think you are missing the point, what mirage is saying is if you don't have it serviced by a Fiat dealer it will probably be a lot more difficult pursuing a warranty claim as it will down to you to prove the service work was carried out to the manufactures specification & all genuine Fiat parts were used and it's not worth the risk for the sake of saving a 100 quid.

lennyhb - 2011-02-08 1:24 PM

rupert123 - 2011-02-07 11:19 PM

I think you are missing the point, what mirage is saying is if you don't have it serviced by a Fiat dealer it will probably be a lot more difficult pursuing a warranty claim as it will down to you to prove the service work was carried out to the manufactures specification & all genuine Fiat parts were used and it's not worth the risk for the sake of saving a 100 quid.

These replies get dafter by the day. What point am I missing, Fiats terms are very clear and as Nick pointed out you only need your stamped book and invoices from servicing garage. What risk is their and who mentioned a £100 saving, it may be more expensive or in my case more convenient, my nearest Fiat Commercial dealer is 90 miles away and although Dave is about the same I can stay overnight and have a day in Ironbridge. Incidently their is also no need to use Fiat parts, Fiat state and I quote, ' All parts fitted and materials used must be geniune Fiat parts OR PARTS OF AN EQUIVALENT HIGH QUALITY'. If any problem occured I would suggest it would have to be Fiat that needed to prove these conditions had not been meet. My last two vans have both been Fiat based and I have only had one service by a Fiat agent during this time I have had two warrenty claims neither of which was disputed.

I repeat before coming on to spout rubbish far better to check some facts.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Its just my opinion, but the contributors to this post are doing so out of a desire to help. Being short to the point of rudeness does very little to foster a spirit of helpfullness between motorhomers. By all means point out they are mistaken and explain why, but I really feel that accusing people of spouting rubbish is going a bit far.

No doubt Ill get told to mind my own business now.

Our Swift (Mar 2010) was only owned by the first owner for two months. He realised his mistake and bought something far bigger!

We bought the M/H in May 2010 and checked the warrenty with Fiat CS re transfer. They were very helpful and £27 allowed us to fully transfer the 3 year warrenty.

Rgds,

Chris.

Perhaps someone could clarify when servicing is required? According to the warranty booklet supplied with my new Fiat Ducato X250 based motorhome the first service is due at 28000 miles. At the current rate of usage that will probably be in 4 or 5 years time!

There is no mention anywhere in the booklet of a time scale for servicing, just mileage travelled.

first5 - 2011-03-13 9:13 PM

Perhaps someone could clarify when servicing is required? According to the warranty booklet supplied with my new Fiat Ducato X250 based motorhome the first service is due at 28000 miles. At the current rate of usage that will probably be in 4 or 5 years time!

There is no mention anywhere in the booklet of a time scale for servicing, just mileage travelled.

The Fiat service booklet for motorhomes quite clearly states that in the case of vehicles covering less than 25,000 or 28,000 miles during a twelve month period their is a minimun service requirement in the form of a lower milage annual service with a one month or 1000 mile tolerance each side of anniversary date. So assuming you cover less than 28,000 miles a year it needs servicing every twelve months.

first5 - 2011-03-13 9:13 PM

UK supplied vehicles require a service 28000 miles or every year & have a 3 year warranty.

Mainland Europe supplied vehicles require a service every 45000km (28000m) no annual requirement & have a 2 year warranty. However drive, belts brake fluid etc., should be changed at recommended intervals.

Archived