Stena Line - booking changes - limited supply

Mel B

Not sure if anyone else has a booking on the Stranraer to Belfast crossing, but if you have, you might find it gets changed.

In early January we booked crossings for the beginning and end of June, each being on the HSS Stena Voyager ferry, paying £15 extra each way for the privilege, as it only takes 2 hours instead of the 2hr 50m/3 hours the other ferry's take. We happily paid the extra so that we are on the ferry for the least amount of time as possible so that Lily, one of our dogs, won't be being 'terrified' for longer than she has to be as she really, really hates ferries, being badly frightened on a Dover/Calais crossing.

Before I made the bookings I had numerous email correspondence with Stena Line, and finally got confirmation Lily could go up onto the passenger deck in a pet carrier (normally only foot passengers can transport their pets up there).

Yesterday I got an email to say they were 'please to tell' us that they have changed our outward journey to one of the slower ferries!!! 8-) It appears that the HSS Stena Voyager is being taken out of action, but only for the daytime, for several days, as it is still running each evening which I could have had instead but it doesn’t get into Belfast until 21.55 so it was a bit toooooo late to then try to find a campsite etc - sod’s law ain’t it! *-)

Anyway, I rang them and have re-booked our outward crossing for a few days earlier so I can get the afternoon 14.30 crossing on the HSS Stena Voyager as originally planned. Whilst chatting to the lady there she told me that if I wanted to book the alternative outward crossing I could (no admin charge as they’d altered the original crossing anyway) but as they only had 2 ‘concessionary’ places left (this is what they class Tesco bookings as), so I had to decided quickly - they only have a limited number of these concessionary places on each crossing.

So, if you get an email from Stena and aren’t happy with what they have changed you to you’d better get in touch with them QUICKLY as your choice of an alternative to what they have given you could be limited.

Hi Mel,

Thanks for that info/warning, we are planning to go to Southern Ireland, probably in June, via Fishguard- Rosslare (Stena).

WE "bought" our Stena vouchers last autumn, while we were still getting the 4X value, but have not booked yet.

We know that they are only valid for 6months, but are not certain if this means booking or actually travelling, if you know what I mean. If it applies to the actual travelling we will have to go in April/May.

Until I read your post, it had not occurred to us that there are limited concessionary places, we,ll have to get our act together!

Once again thanks for the "wake up call". (lol) (lol)

Ernie (Sundowner)

You have to make a booking using your vouchers within 6 months of getting them, but your actually ferry travel (return crossing date) can be up to 12 months from the date you make the booking.

I also noticed that the prices have already started to go up a bit so the sooner you book the better price you'll get.

Hi Mel, your post stirred us into action, we booked today, and I posted the vouchers off (special delivery) this afternoon. I also read the small print for at last and as you say, we can travel after 6 months once we have booked.

Surprisingly, the prices are the same as before Christmas, but I think you are right, they'll be going up soon.

Thanks once more for your advice!!

rgds. Sundowner

AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! >:-( >:-( >:-( >:-( >:-( >:-(

As Victor Meldrew would say .... "I don't believe it!!!!

I've just checked my email and have had yet another note from Stena Line to say they've altered my outwards crossing again to a slower ferry .....!!!!!!! >:-(

I've rung them up and the lady was a bemused by it all as I was! She checked with her supervisor and it appears that Stena Line are changing all of their HSS crossings so that instead of two return trips a day they are only going to do one a day from Stranraer in the evening, and just before lunch-time on the return!

So, I've had no alternative but to change the crossing to an evening one - 19.55 gets in at 21.55, but I've altered it to Sunday rather than leave it on Saturday - don't fancy getting into Belfast at 10.00 pm on a Saturday night!!!

If it gets changed again there'll be hell to pay!!!!! >:-)

The stupid thing is that the HSS afternoon crossing are still showing on many days so they're going to get lots of changes to do, why they don't just remove the 'availability' of the ferry from the system I don't know. *-)

I think I might send an email to the customer services office ... :-|

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems with Stena, Mel, we so far, appear to be luckier sailing from Fishguard.

Mind you, back in the early eighties, I and many others spent three days on board a ferry in Fishguard, because of a combination of engine trouble and bad weather, which made it impossible for the ship to sail or any vehicle to disembark.

Happy Days (lol)

• 2 weeks later...

All change again!!!!! 8-)

For the better ... :->

I sent an email in to Stena Line customer services, explaining the problem and the hassle we'd had and got a phone call today from a very nice lady who has changed our booking to the Sunday 14.30 crossing on the HSS Stena Voyager as that is DEFINITELY still showing on the timetable and she wasn't aware that that one was going to be cancelled at all. Thank goodness, it means we'll arrive in Belfast at 16.30 so will have time to get to a site.

As a 'nicety' they also gave us 2 Stena Lounge passes for the outward journey and she said I can take Lily up there too in her carrier ... so free drinks and grub for us on the ourwards crossing!!! Just checked the website and these normally cost £16 each!

Sometimes it pays to complain!

:-D

Archived