diabetes

bluehighway

Hi I am a new member and I want to tour portugal and spain and italy ending up in greece or turky my problem is that I have diabetes for wich I take tablets for I amm hopeing to be away 9-12months my doctor will only give me 3months at a time can I get my priscription on the new e 111card or will I have to buy a priscription from a local doctor whenI run out can anybody help me with as much information as possible thank you all

Guest JudgeMental
you can get a private perscription from your doctor and get tablets before you go. Or get someone to pick up your repeat perscription and post the tablets out to you? if only on something like Metformin? thse are a cheap generic drug available anywhere...you can even buy them online

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tracker

I know nothing of these issues but can it be right that as a UK resident entitled to UK NHS care anyone has to pay for their own medication when temporarily away from home - particularly whilst in another EU member State?

Just wondered?

If it's Metformin you can buy 500 x 500mg tablets on line for £18.

It is not an expensive drug, the NHS pays about 2p each.

If it's gliclazide, glimepiride, glipizide, or sulphonylureas they are more expensive, my doc gives me a 3 month supply when I ask.

H (T2)

Like you I'm diabetic but on insulin. The easy answer is the sneaky approach. If he will prescribe three months at a time put in a repeat prescription every two months and build up a stock of drugs your doctor will never twig what you are doing.

Fortunately my doctor is very understanding and will let me have whatever I want within reason. I have no problem with insulin but do have to take some pills for blood pressure that are often difficult to get and are in short supply due to the fact that it is more profitable to sell them abroad. To overcome this I always maintain a two month supply as a minimum.

Tracker - 2011-02-19 4:18 PM I know nothing of these issues but can it be right that as a UK resident entitled to UK NHS care anyone has to pay for their own medication when temporarily away from home - particularly whilst in another EU member State? Just wondered?

Right or wrong, Rich, the NHS rules are that if you leave your home address for more than three months, you are automatically deemed to have moved, and so must be removed from your GP's patient list.

This means that if you tell your GP of a planned absence exceeding three months (even if just touring UK), and the GP sticks to the rules, s/he cannot prescribe for you as, beyond the three months period, you are technically no longer his/her patient.  Failure to observe this rule is a disciplinary matter for the GP.  Some overlook it (accident or design I know not!), others don't.

Whether this rule will survive the forthcoming changes to GP practises, who knows?  It is supposed to prevent secondary dealing in NHS prescribed drugs, so I wouldn't bet on it!

I too am a Type II diabetic and I'm on Metformin and simvastatins and ramopril..my Nurse Practitioner will only give me a prescription for only 2 months at a time I've questioned this a few times and she says it's the doctors who sign the script and they will only let you have a 2 month supply..In fact she said if your not happy change to another practice and they may sign a script for 3 months..and this from a lady who is a personal friend even that doesn't sway it!!

I too put in repeats and have built up a good supply..But I still can't get a 3 monther!!

You can buy all the tablets you will be on over the counter in Turkey, I had a bag stolen there a couple of years ago with all my meds for diabetes, and just replaced them in the nearest pharmacy.

Perhaps you should revise your trip and visit Greece and Turkey first, then buy enough supplies for the remaining months.

Margaret has type 2 diabetes and before we retired and went on normal length holidays she noticed her blood sugar levels would improve whilst on holiday. She mentioned this to the doctor and he said that others had said the same but he could not explain why except perhaps being more relaxed might have some effect. In the light of that you would think doctors would be more than happy to let you have a big prescription :-D Mind you I think you would need another tailer to cart it all around (lol)

David

Klyne - 2011-02-20 5:03 PM

Margaret has type 2 diabetes and before we retired and went on normal length holidays she noticed her blood sugar levels would improve whilst on holiday. She mentioned this to the doctor and he said that others had said the same but he could not explain why except perhaps being more relaxed might have some effect. David

I find the same in France and put it down to the fact that there is no sugar in French bread.

Randonneur - 2011-02-23 8:17 AM

I don't think so Patricia, when I was diagnosed with Type 2 my Doctor warned me off French Bread as whatever is in it goes straight to the liver because the sugars don't break down.

That is interesting. I certainly know that English bread has a lot of sugar in it, particularly wholemeal I believe, and recipes to make your own always include sugar, salt and butter. Out here I actually make my own too but do not need to add anything else but water and, depending on the type of flour, yeast.

Here is my recipe for low carbohydrate bread, I also add bran but now to much or it won't rise.

For wheat gluten try Flourbin.

120g wheat gluten 16g carbs

10g oat bran 5g carbs

60g very strong wholemeal flour 39g carbs

45g soy flour 11g carbs

30g linseed (flax) 9g carbs

10g sunflower seed 2g carbs

1/2 tsp of sugar (carbs not counted as the yeast converts it)

2 pkts dried yeast.

15 ml of oil

Warm water to mix.

You can use a bread maker to mix it, but I then take it out after kneading and

raise it somewhere warm, single raising and straight into the oven. About 30

mins at gas mark 4.

This makes a 530 g loaf @ 15g carb per 100g.

One of my slices weighs 35g so 5.25 g of carb per slice.

If you are T2 (or T1 for that matter) you should be counting your carbohydrates. Try

http://www.diabetes.co.uk

for more info.

Not to far off topic I hope, it IS diabetic related.

H

Guest JudgeMental

I am on a no salt diet (doctors orders) my blood pressure has plummeted and I am on half the cocktail of drugs I was on, all withing a few months...

Bread is FULL of salt. I bought a Panasonic bread maker and we have lovely fresh bread now.....shop bread tastes like cardboard in comparison

Archived