Autotrail Navajo 2010

penguin9

Having taken our six month old van from Carmarthen to the Argoed Meadows camp site,located in Cenarth,West Wales,a site that we often visit for weekends.We had filled the freshwater tank to 50% as we felt that this was more than enough for a two night stay using the site facilities.We had 13 amps hookup and although the weather was clear skies and sunny,the forecast was for a frost that night.This particular model has the benefit of gas and electric heating ,so set the the system on 2000 watts blown air.We had booked a meal that evening in the local pub along with friends.Checked the outside temperature when we returned,-5C, inside temperature +21C.Did all the neccessary and retired to bed.9am start,[bit late i know] Turned on the basin tap,pump running,no water?Checked tank level,50% water.Got dressed,went to the shower block,washed dressed and fully recovered,climbed under van.pipe from tank to pump frozen.Although the pipe is lagged, it is fully exposed for 1 metre in the elements.Seems i cannot use van in frosty weather.I,m amazed !

Welcome to the forum Penguin, the first response might seem a bit harsh but it's unarguable.

That said, we camp all year, our van isn't winterised, (no lagging /heated tanks), but we've only been frozen up 6 - 8 times over 7 + years.

I think you were a bit unlucky, it must have been a real hard ground frost. We've been in colder than that and the pipes haven't froze. Daft but true. The heating in the van doesn't make a scrap of difference of course.

Martyn

Read somewhere on a forum which described Autotrails a 3 season vans? saying that we own a Tracker and used it in sub zero temps over the New Year for 10 days with no problem, Guess you've been unlucky with your Navajo.

Lovely MH by the way, we almost bought one but the payload put us off.

ATB

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman

Progress eh?

We went away last Christmas in the worst winter for years................and yes our gas froze........... but none of our plumbing seized :D

and it was a bit chilly at night so I wore pyjamas for the first time in 30 years 8-)

Maybe things have not progressed as far as the manufacturers would like us to think >:-)

Just thought I better add for people(new members) who dont know we have a 21 year old UK built campervan (lol)

Archived