why is the garmin 510 so expensive?

Alf Stonehouse

It's all about memory capacity and the ability to down load maps. The very cheap ones do not have a capacity to down load maps. Next up in price come the ones with the capacity to down load maps but using limited internal memory which means you can only down load a few at at time making them useless for touring to multiple locations unless you take a lap top with you. The better ones are those that can take a SD card meaning that with a large capacity card you can load more maps than you are ever likely to use. this is the min spec you need to go to. Top of the range models contain lots of bells and whistles and are more accurate but not worth the extra money unless you are going to take advantage of these features.

If you are interested in obtaining a free one I know where there is one half way down a cliff there I dropped it whilst trying to get the dogs buggy over a high stonewall style!

Cos people will pay.the ads say you need it? Her indoors still guides me..yes I get lost..but as she says..its my fault? but its the travel that becomes part of th the holiday

I remember travelling in Germany in the 70s Transit van converted..by me??.couldnt understand a word..people waved to me..me.. and the family waved back..a hoot from a train ..a rapid reverse from me and a realisation of why they waved..?

Anyone who RELIES upon SAT nav needs his knickers feeling [sorry..old Matelot?]

They arew expensive cos they are Gadgets..look good..others buy..and you feel you are somehow..err not "with it"

"WE" bought a Garmin Nuvi 1490T..looks good..nice pics as we approach turn offs..but really??

If you have confidence..dont give a t**s about gadget.Trust the wife??

Cos people will pay.the ads say you need it? Her indoors still guides me..yes I get lost..but as she says..its my fault? but its the travel that becomes part of th the holiday

I remember travelling in Germany in the 70s Transit van converted..by me??.couldnt understand a word..people waved to me..me.. and the family waved back..a hoot from a train ..a rapid reverse from me and a realisation of why they waved..?

Anyone who RELIES upon SAT nav needs his knickers feeling [sorry..old Matelot?]

They arew expensive cos they are Gadgets..look good..others buy..and you feel you are somehow..err not "with it"

"WE" bought a Garmin Nuvi 1490T..looks good..nice pics as we approach turn offs..but really??

If you have confidence..dont give a t**s about gadget.Trust the wife??

Guest pelmetman

I haven't got a Garmin, but bought the Tom Tom XXL for our recent trip, and going through France I was willing to accept it was the 8th wonder of the world...........until we arrived it Spain where it developed some kind of psychotic disorder 8-) ........not content with sending us up dead ends, ditches, dried up river beds and some not so dry *-)......it even made a deliberate attempt to kill us... by telling me to turn sharpe left across 4 lanes of motorway traffic 8-)

So I tend to view all sat navs with a jaundice eye now *-) Yes, a useful tool but dont trust it *-)

Our satnav is 2008 and due for a change. I like the Tomtom 1005 but at present it will not take personal POI,s, although Tomtom say any time now. Am holding off for a bit to see if they do this. Cannot agree with people who dismiss them, they obviously have not figured out how to use properly. Although you must treat them with a degree of caution they are still the best thing to find your way around with, especially in towns.

Hi

Whatever you buy, and you will, make sure you can enter your own POIs. We started out with the predecessor to the latest Snooper and couldn't enter POIs. Also the dimension/weight information is only used by the system to alert you to what is permitted by law, not what is sensible. You need to engage brain as well as SatNav!

Our TomTom is excellent though and we certainly would not be without it.

P&L

We bought the Ventura Snooper 2 weeks ago from Roadpro with the MMM discount. ( had the Blaupunkt previously which came with the van) Quite happy with the Snooper to date although obviously not used it much.

There is an MP3 facilty but couldn't work out how do this as the user instructions are a bit sparse in fact don't even mention it.

Having been a sales rep over 30 yrs travelling all over UK I managed quite well without Sat Nav ( modern gadgets as they are referred to in this & many other threads) However when driving the Motor Home just over 7 mtrs in length we do find it quite useful finding final destination & think in particular with The Snooper with all the camp sites & POIs which are already on it will be an asset both UK & abroad.

Went to Spain last year & unfortunately the Blaupunkt only had the northern Europe map & although we found the areas ok finding the actual sites sometimes proved a bit difficult.

As in previous comments we also wouldn't dream of relying totally on the Sat Nav & always have map at hand & often look routes up on the Michelin web site.

Archived