Transatlantic crossing with Adria twin campervan

lindsaybo24

Can anyone help? I'm sure I read a while ago that a couple had taken their campervan with them as 'freight' across to America - and then toured around and come back the same way. I can't find anything via an internet search. Can anyone help? *-) We are both retired and fancy doing this as our 'trip of a lifetime!'

Guest JudgeMental

Yes people do this, you ship from Germany/Holland and fly over yourself. I think it is not that straightforward myself with all the insurance and everything....

cant believe you have looked hard into this? loads of stuff comes up on a google search?

Trip of a lifetime? 2 round the world tickets for me, and travel interesting places as free as a bird.....

If its of any interest this Dutch guy shipped his car and caravan over to the USA for a tour in 2009, the link is here http://america.meuldijk.info/ I did ask why he had not hired a motorhome in the USA and he reckoned it was still cheaper, for the length of trip, to ship his outfit over. I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions you have. Perhaps no need to say that he speaks and writes excellent English!

David

There is a mile of difference between renting a motorhome and having your own.

We rented a small Winebago for a few weeks in Australia, it was OK but provided nothing like the tailored surroundings we have generated in our own tardis. But then again the rental company can "turn around" a hire van in less than an hour ready for the next customer. How long does it take you just to empty your own van let alone re-stock it?

The question is how much do you value having all your own toys, bells and whistles with you?

C.

Guest JudgeMental
Clive - 2011-02-13 2:43 PM

The question is how much do you value having all your own toys, bells and whistles with you?

but will any of your belongings still be in camper when it arrives? ports are notorious for relieving vehicles of there contents..... :-S

Hi,

We wouldn't even consider it personally but when we were in California last October, renting a car and using motels - will definitely hire a motorhome if we go again - we saw a few German registered VW's and a Sprinter PVC. As far as I'm aware there are no Fiat Ducato vans imported to the USA so backup would be difficult for any service or breakdowns. As for insurance ???

We found that there are locally based rental companies that have smaller vans available.

Steve

Archived