Midge protection

mel wood

Guest Tracker

May is about as late as is 'safe (ish) but even then if it's warm the little critters will be about.

June can be OK if it's still cool but again if it's warm you will know all about it!

It's better when it's cold wet and windy and away from water and moorland and mountains is less midgery misery!

Guest JudgeMental
we used the Avon in Thailand last year and in India the year before........ worked a treat, although we used a deet product as well.

I’m going to declare my self-interest in this thread as I work for

ktesis - 2011-02-14 5:28 PM

If you want to more about the midge then log on here: http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/index.php/home/

But more of that later

t5tripper - 2011-02-14 1:23 PM

Can anyone tell me when the best time to visit Scotland to avoid midge's please - I know December and January probably would be the best time (ha) but I mean during the summer months, don't fancy being munched to death.

Thanks for the repellent suggestions.

Scotland has over 37 different species of midge, but the most common and most hated in the Highland midge (Culicoides impunctatus). It occurs in highest densities in the West and Central Scotland but occurs throughout the UK and through Northern Europe & Russia and in some Regions of Northern Japan.

In Scotland the midges will start to re-emerge from their larval form in the soil in April but only in small numbers and it will not be until late mid/late May until they are at nuisance levels. This will continue until late August and numbers will drop throughout September.

Midges are ever present but the horror stories of the unprepared hitting an infrequent peak of emergence is a story which blights visits to Scotland. Most people will miss these peaks when they visit and stories of quackery to prevent midge attacks builds up.

Simple measures can be used to mitigate midge attacks.

Location: Avoid sheltered spots, midges cannot fly if the wind speed is greater than 7 miles per hour.

Clothing: Always carry clothing which can cover up your arms, legs and your head.

Repellent: Use a repellent with a World Health Organisation approved insect repellent active such as DEET, Citrapel, IR3535 or Saltidin which have been scientifically proven in hundreds and hundreds of trials to be effective and long lasting.

There are many proven repellents out there, I would like you to try ours, but I will leave that up to you. If you choose badly you will get bitten more and that’s going to be your own fault. ;-)

lennyhb - 2011-02-14 5:39 PM

Tracker - 2011-02-14 1:51 PM

It's better when it's cold wet and windy and away from water and moorland and mountains is less midgery misery!

Looks like a couple of weeks in Glasgow then (lol) (lol) (lol)

You shouldnt have any problem on the East Side, Dingwall etc; we were fine there, it was only when we went to the Ardgarden area, and Stranrar area was fine as well only dont blame me if they have migrated ;-) the skin so soft works for me with a little bit of extra help from deet. If you can stay away from tree, and lakes that is where they are at their worst.

This is supposed to work for midges.

Whenever we go to places where there are a lot of mosquitos we take a very high dose of vitamin B12. My partner is a magnet for mosquitos and since she started taking B12 she hasn't been bitten at all. We start taking the tablets a couple of weeks before we go away and we are also careful to cover up and to use Mosiguard, but the B12 seems to work.

Having said this, I can't point to any medical evidence, but on trips to Egypt, South America and South East Asia we've got on the plane home and seen other people that are covered in bites whilst we've been fine.

I think we origianlly got the idea from one of the Rough Guides. The theory is that the B12 makes the blood unpleasant to insects.

Some people also swear by bananas or Marmite, both of which contain B vitamins.

We take about 4 times the recommended daily dose and I believe that the body will pass any B12 that can't be absorbed, but please do some research and check whether you are happy with this before you start taking any tablets!

Hi Everyone, what brilliant advice and help from you all - thank you so much for all your in depth replies about location, season, prevention and after care - it's much appreciated and will hopefully lead to a midge free holiday.... shame there isn't something that can be done for the rain HA !

Thanks again and happy midge free holidays one and all.

Hi Everyone, what brilliant advice and help from you all - thank you so much for all your in depth replies about location, season, prevention and after care - it's much appreciated and will hopefully lead to a midge free holiday.... shame there isn't something that can be done for the rain HA !

Archived