This month's MMM

Hawcara

Bottom of page here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/channel/newsitem.asp?c=1&cate=__1178

Edit to add:

I'd found it before elsewhere, and I must admit, I was pleased to find my local Ford dealer as one of the higlighted ones.

Given the difficulties I've had in the past with finding dealers willing to and capable of performing work on Ducato based vehicles, it was good to find a reasonable choice in this area.

It's already had minor recall work done there, and as I've posted before, they reprogrammed the radio such that the fader worked front-to-back (disabled at the factory as only two speakers in the base vehicle), without charging me - though I had to show them in advance the extract from the Ford BEMM manual that said it was possible!

Well that will prove that I cant read a map or find a sock in the drawer.

Thank you.

On another point, I've looked up www.expamet.co.uk regarding catclamps on page 210.

Turns out it is builder's stuff and no mention of cat security. Any ideas about this one?

Thank you :-D

Hawcara - 2011-02-13 1:29 PM

Well that will prove that I cant read a map or find a sock in the drawer.

Thank you.

On another point, I've looked up www.expamet.co.uk regarding catclamps on page 210.

Turns out it is builder's stuff and no mention of cat security. Any ideas about this one?

....nope! (Haven't even got "the map" to work from on this - not got MMM yet this month - though given the extended debate going on about delivery, I was considering posting that I'd just received April's, just to see what response I got. :D

Hawcara - 2011-02-13 1:29 PM Well that will prove that I cant read a map or find a sock in the drawer. Thank you. On another point, I've looked up www.expamet.co.uk regarding catclamps on page 210. Turns out it is builder's stuff and no mention of cat security. Any ideas about this one? Thank you :-D

Funny, ain't it?  One firm in the Ford manual near us, at Horsham.  First place I took the van when new.  Was damaged by one of their drivers, driving another vehicle, while in their care.  Didn't go back!  Now use what seems a good dealer in Eastbourne, who is not in the Ford manual, but seems just that bit more careful!  make of that what you will!  :-)

Re expamet (commonly "xpm"), it is/was made by the Expanded Metal Company, hence the name.  Comes in a variety of grades, metals, and finishes.  I assume one would have to wrap the cat in the xpm, draw down the cylinder so formed to fit snug around the exhaust pipe, and then clip it to the exhaust pipe fore and aft.  Nasty stuff, with sharp edges where cut, so far from ideal if using a gauge that might deter a cat thief while rolling under a motorhome.  Lacerations for the fixer highly probable!  My take on the result is the thief simply cuts out a larger chunk of the exhaust, including the xpm sleeve, and takes the lot somewhere convenient to deal with the xpm.  So, unless I've completely misunderstood what was meant (highly possible) the words chocolate, and teapot, come to mind!  :-D

Hawcara - 2011-02-13 1:29 PM

I think what Peter Rosenthal is suggesting is that you make a large 'guard' a bit like the old sump guards you used to put on rally cars to prevent a thief getting anywhere near the cat. For this you would need a fairly large rectangle bolted to chassis members or similar with security bolts as Peter suggests. This stuff is very sharp on the cut edges so hoping any thief would give up and go elsewhere rather than risk personal injury.

Keith.

Archived