pullovers

Syd

Help, this is driving me mad

In my youth, well maybe before my youth :D men used to wear a type of pullover.

My idea of a pullover is a long sleeved knitted jumper but what I cannot remember is the name that was given to the jumper that had no sleeves and a "V" neck.

Every male seemed to wear them if I remember correctly, of course I am originally a country boy so maybe it was a country workers garment.

Anyone know the name please

Guest pelmetman
I used to have one :D I would wear under my "Bay City Roller" jacket with patent leather stack shoes, and flared trousers with big patch pockets on the side...........I was a cool dude B-) ..... (lol) (lol)

ips - 2011-02-14 11:16 AM

Yep I concurr thats a tank top.

I still wear them ... very smart over a nice shirt with a tie. Particularily if emblazoned with a "Hugo Boss" logo :-D

O.K., so we now know what a tank top is.

What is a tie ???

;-)

Well its a rather infrequently used (these days) item of gentlmens neck wear. I however wear one for work and definately for going out and have been known to wear one whilst driving the MH and for general mooching about around site. Keeps you nice and warm you know ;-)

malc d - 2011-02-14 11:37 AM

ips - 2011-02-14 11:16 AM

Yep I concurr thats a tank top.

I still wear them ... very smart over a nice shirt with a tie. Particularily if emblazoned with a "Hugo Boss" logo :-D

O.K., so we now know what a tank top is.

What is a tie ???

;-)

Two or more people crossing the finishing line at the same time >:-)

Summit like this mate

Bestway 1524: Vintage pattern for fair Isle pullover in 3ply to fit 38" chest. 1946. Great for that special occassion, suprise them at that wedding! Be fashionably daring this season.Try modern 4ply, knit tension square first. See Men's Fair Isle pages for more Fair Isle patterns.

photocopy £1.99

pdf £1.50

http://www.theretroknittingcompany.co.uk/menspatterns.html

My interest in this is from a distant memory and maybe not as accurate as it could be BUT.

Back in nineteenhundred and blood when I was about three I can remember my father leading this bloody great bull into a compound to mate with the farm cattle.

This big bull was a bit short tempered at the best of times, any way it decided that Dad had lived long enough and so it charged him.

Dad swung round only to find himself pinned to the wall with about two ton of bull pushing it's heart out trying to crush him but thankfully it had large horns and they just fitted each side of his chest passing through this sleeveless pullover and into the wall thereby stopping it crushing him.

I remember that we kept the pullover for quiet some time showing off the two rather large holes in it and if I remember things at all correctly the Bull regretted this after Dad got free

My hubby used to wear tank tops all the time ... with his flared trousers .... goodness knows what fashion statement it was! (lol)

He also used to wear a lot of cardigans with zip fronts which, if he sat in a certain way, looked rather rude!!! 8-) :$

t5tripper - 2011-02-15 12:20 PM

When is a tank top a waist coat, I wear a woolly sleeveless, v necked number over my roll neck jumper (ok I feel the cold) but it has buttons down the front of it, I never open them, but tend to refer to it as a waist coat rather than a tank top....

(lol)

Surely that's a sleeveless cardigan ?

*-)

Might even be classed as a 'gilet ' ??

Syd - 2011-02-15 4:26 PM

malc d - 2011-02-15 1:01 PM

Surely that's a sleeveless cardigan ?

*-)

Might even be classed as a 'gilet ' ??

I always thought a "Cardigan" was a button up pullover

The clue to what a " pullover " is, is in the word "pull- OVER "

i.e. the only way you can get it on is over your head.

;-)

malc d - 2011-02-15 5:01 PM

The clue to what a " pullover " is, is in the word "pull- OVER "

i.e. the only way you can get it on is over your head.

;-)

Anyone brought up in Geordie Land knows a gansie is the woollen thing worn on the upper body.

A pullover is something for the weekend bought from the barbers.

Archived