Full timing....do we need to push that little button?

Daves

Guest pelmetman

Now you have got me going :D

I have long since thought the BBC has been infected by the same bacteria as our civil service *-) Comon sense to them is an alien concept, and are only interested in promoting the views of the sections of society that are not main stream *-)

But then again, you can always indulge in those anticts when you dont have to work for a living >:-(

The looney liberal elite are funded by us >:-(

Daves - 2011-02-16 6:35 PM

Full timing, no fixed abode but watching tv! Do we need to push that little button to buy our TV licence??

ps - TV licence or TV TAX? Is it just another Tax and is the BBC just a mouthpiece for the Government of the day??

Dave S

A TV licence is required to use ANY TV equipment, such as TV set, video or DVD recorder, computer or mobile phone to watch any live TV programmes.

Nothing to do with where you live.

Yes Malc'd. but a TV licence is addressed based. If you are Full Timing, no fixed abode, by definition you have no address.

We lived in Cyprus for 9 mths of the year, UK for 3 mths. Bought a licence when in UK, but cancelled it when we went back to Cyprus. Diverted post to Cyprus and got no end of red threatening letters from TV Licensing. They just wouldn't accept that we weren't in UK watching TV illegally.

I invited them to sit outside our house with the detector van and wait for the (non-existent) indication that we were inside watching TV. Advised them to bring sandwiches and be prepared for a long wait! Needless to say we heard no more.

Don't get me wrong. The licence is (probably) worth every penny. you just have to watch Wimbledon for a fortnight and the F1 season to get your money's worth.

However, its the principle of the thing and I think Pelmetman (at least) agrees that its just another indirect Tax on our hard earned income.

The question was - do you need to buy a licence if you are Full Timing (with no fixed abode). With diesel approaching £1.40/lt we're giving the Gov't enough already in Tax without buying a TV licence when we possibly don't need to.

Dave S

Dave

If you are watching live TV, by any means, while full timing in the UK, then the answer is clearly yes, you do need a licence.

The bit I quoted above was taken, almost word for word, from the back of our TV licence - there is no mention of where people are living.

I don't think that you would get away with the argument that we are paying enough ( too much) tax already !

;-)

Daves - 2011-02-16 8:10 PM

Don't get me wrong. The licence is (probably) worth every penny. you just have to watch Wimbledon for a fortnight and the F1 season to get your money's worth.

However, its the principle of the thing.........Dave S

Seems to me you have a problem with understanding such things as value and principle (.........and for that matter taxpaying).

But hey, that's Hedge Fund Managers for you :D

Hi, I think you will find that having a tv in your van is covered by your home licence while away from home. Since you van is your home, then your address could quite simply be given as the van registration number c/o any caravan site or parking place in uk..That could cause the detector agency a headache to catch up with you, or give them a post restante address.

I wonder what the licencing rules are for tv reception in a continental address, maybe they dont pay a licence abroad for their own services.

tonyg3nwl

Dave Newell - 2011-02-17 9:11 AM

You will also need a postal address for your insurance so use the same one for the TV licence.

D.

The licence is attached to the address, not the person, hence I had to purchase another one as someone else had to buy one for my house when rented out. If he therefore gives a relative's address for the insurance they probably already have a licence so he will not be able to have one there.

In France everyone pays a TV licence even if they don't, or even can't, watch French TV and if you buy a set over there then your address is sent to the authorities immediately.

tonyg3nwl - 2011-02-17 9:25 AM

Hi, I think you will find that having a tv in your van is covered by your home licence while away from home. Since you van is your home, then your address could quite simply be given as the van registration number c/o any caravan site or parking place in uk..That could cause the detector agency a headache to catch up with you, or give them a post restante address.

I wonder what the licencing rules are for tv reception in a continental address, maybe they dont pay a licence abroad for their own services.

tonyg3nwl

In France, if you have a TV aerial or Sat Dish you pay a TV licence which is currently €125 even if you don't have a TV!!!! >:-(

Full timing, no fixed abode but watching tv! Do we need to push that little button to buy our TV licence??

In a word - YES - you have to have a licence for any equipment that is able to 'receive' transmissions, that would include a video, DVD, or hard-drive recorder, laptop with TV adaptor, even a digital picture frame which can receive TV (we use one in our kitchen for this purpose) - whether you chose to use the equipment for TV, or watch the programmes at the time or later is up to you!

As an aside, a question for those who go abroad and get a refund on their TV licence for the period they are away - do you record programmes at home whilst out of the UK? If so, you are using the receiving equipment and would, as far as I'm aware, be required to still have a TV licence to be legally permitted to receive and record the programmes ... so arguing with the licencing authority that you're not there if you do record stuff could be interesting!!

8-)

Daves - 2011-02-16 6:35 PM Full timing, no fixed abode but watching tv! Do we need to push that little button to buy our TV licence?? ps - TV licence or TV TAX? Is it just another Tax and is the BBC just a mouthpiece for the Government of the day?? Dave S

if you Pushed that little red button where would you ask them to send the TV (TAX) Licence to ?  and if your never in the same place very long who is going to detect you, ? Beggar them anyway, dont do it

......Do we need to push that little button to buy our TV licence??.....

Dave S

Depends whether you mean:

a) Am I required to, or

b) Will I get away with it if I don't.

Answer to both is certainly "Yes", but if you choose option b) you effectively put yourself in the same category as the scrote who would willingly lift your wallet with 145 quid in it!

Whether you like what the BBC transmit is irrelevant. If you want to watch TV in the UK you need a licence.

John.

elamessa - 2011-02-17 5:17 PM

tonyg3nwl - 2011-02-17 9:25 AM

tonyg3nwl

In France, if you have a TV aerial or Sat Dish you pay a TV licence which is currently €125 even if you don't have a TV!!!! >:-(

I suspect there are many expats who live permanently in another country but still receive UK TV transmission via satellite (which in itself is technically illegal) who do not pay the UK licence fee and could not anyway without admitting that they are breaking the law.

Mel B - 2011-02-17 5:25 PM

As an aside, a question for those who go abroad and get a refund on their TV licence for the period they are away - do you record programmes at home whilst out of the UK? If so, you are using the receiving equipment and would, as far as I'm aware, be required to still have a TV licence to be legally permitted to receive and record the programmes ... so arguing with the licencing authority that you're not there if you do record stuff could be interesting!!

8-)

Do people really do this? I have never thought of getting a refund and I am sometimes away for months at a time.

Dixie - 2011-02-17 5:44 PM

Dave S

a) Am I required to, or

Answer to both is certainly "Yes", but if you choose option b) you effectively put yourself in the same category as the scrote who would willingly lift your wallet with 145 quid in it!

Whether you like what the BBC transmit is irrelevant. If you want to watch TV in the UK you need a licence.

John.

Cant see the similarity myself. Its ok saying you need a licence to watch ANY tv, but the money is going solely to ONE tv 'company' ie the BBC. So yes, its a 'telly tax' by any other name.

Its the same as if all your road tax went directly To Ford or BMW irrespective of the car you drove. Its a racket, pure and simple.

How Much??????? - 2011-02-17 7:29 PM

Cant see the similarity myself. Its ok saying you need a licence to watch ANY tv, but the money is going solely to ONE tv 'company' ie the BBC. So yes, its a 'telly tax' by any other name.

Its the same as if all your road tax went directly To Ford or BMW irrespective of the car you drove. Its a racket, pure and simple.

Yes its a telly tax by any other name, but that doesn't give us the option to not pay it, anymore than we should dip into someone elses pocket, or to borrow your example, not pay road tax on the motorhome.

The road tax analogy isn't so far off, possibly not Ford or BMW, more like BLMC which swallowed huge amounts of taxpayers money before it disappeared.

Maybe the BBC will go the same way eventually, which would be a shame. I don't watch much telly, but do like Radio 4....

John.

tonyg3nwl - 2011-02-17 8:25 AM

tonyg3nwl

We are Full Timing so our Motorhome is our address. To legaly full time you need a UK contact (not necesarity a residence) address for insurance, Vehicle documents etc. We use our daughter address, she uses a TV there, so we are not covered in the Motorhome by her licence. We have our own licence which has the vehicle registration as the address.

John

Guest Peter James

The licence fee is supposedly to keep the BBC independent, rather than to line the pockets of their fat cats and peddle the Establishment view.

The way the BBC panders to Her Unelected Majesty the Queen and all the hangers on is quite disgraceful IMO. We only found out how corrupt they are through the News of the World bugging their phones, and thats been stopped now.

How Much??????? - 2011-02-17 7:29 PM

Dixie - 2011-02-17 5:44 PM

Dave S

a) Am I required to, or

John.

As you think that paying the licence fee to the BBC is a racket, how would you fund the BBC ?

Would you be happy to see commercial breaks on BBC channels ?

(?)

Patricia - 2011-02-16 10:30 PM

I have a property which I rented out but when I moved out I had to buy another licence. Where I now live I am not allowed to receive mail so the licensing authority applied for a temporary post code - but I still cannot receive post!

Can't the men in white coats trust you not to stab someone with the letter opener?. (lol)

Archived