Mad or mean?

nuevoboy

Guest pelmetman
blackfingers - 2011-02-16 11:25 PM

And to make matters worse - it's Red!

Ian L.

I like red vans :D ...............................they dont show the blood >:-)

art338 - 2011-02-20 12:44 PM

MelB,

I'm coming to the conclusion that you buy a van for your two dogs.

art

Guilty as charged ... a glorified dog kennel on wheels! :$

Its the only way we can take them with us on holiday, as they are our 'family' we really do not have a choice! :D

Guest pelmetman

Here's a couple of good looking chaps :D

Notice the family likeness? the baggy jowels, with a hint of distinguishing grey, slightly overweight............... Troy is starting to ressemble me (lol)

Not to mention he's got the comfy seat and I'm in the camping chair *-)

DSCN2029web.jpg.d2c2c91eff8cb28690570b81cb617e98.jpg

I think that these days (and certainly for me)

cruise

elec windows

elec mirrors

air con

are the very least requirements for ANY vehicle.

And as for everyday car/vehicle, leather and heated seats are a must also. I would and do pay extra to ensure that I get at least the above and more.

Not because I am a flash git (ahem) or have more money than sence but purely because I drive 35k business miles per year and another 5k ish in the van and I have quite bad sciatica from time to time so I want a decent and comfy vehicle.

Also worth bearing in mind that basic no options vehicles of any sort are not as saleable when the time comes to off load em.

Cruise control ..never again..I had one fitted on the HGV that I drove then one day it didn't disconnect so it was knock it out of gear and a hell of a lot of revs screaming away 3k plus (didn't do a lot for my trust in these so called luxuries) any way one of Volvos finest turned out to sort it out and I had it totally disconnected so it would never trouble me again

I have lost count of the amount of HGVs I've overtaken to see drivers with their feet up..yes it does happen and these are alleged professional drivers...No Need for it!!

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2011-02-22 7:29 PM

The one thing I don't like on modern vans is electric windows, but there not an option :-(

You could always buy a less modern van :D .............besides whats the purpose of a modern camper?........... to provide comfortable accomodation at your chosen destination, my camper did that 21 years ago and is still doing it now :D

I want something reliable, that will not cost a fortune in diagnosis and electronic parts if it should go wrong and will do 60 mpg. I am more likely to get the mpg than the other points on a new generation van, so I will stick with my big white brick.

Like others, I do not need electric windows. If you cannot wind a window then you should not be driving. The same applies to mirrors. I have a cab A/C, never use it. Just open a (electric) window.

I have never liked the colour scheme of my upholstery but it is academic, everything is covered up. That is because I have 6 dogs (eat your heart out Mel) and European travel with them would require a lottery win with greedy French vets and passports etc. Anyway, I worked in most European countries and the wife has no great desire to eat Frogs legs or Bratwurst.

I suppose my background in engineering has coloured my view of what is good and what is not. My idea of heaven would be a horse drawn caravan and quiet peaceful roads. Fresh Rabbit or Partridge cooked on an open fire. You can keep your Remoska and amazing double skillet. That Ray Mears knows a thing or two.

pelmetman - 2011-02-22 8:10 PM

colin - 2011-02-22 7:29 PM

The one thing I don't like on modern vans is electric windows, but there not an option :-(

You could always buy a less modern van :D .............besides whats the purpose of a modern camper?........... to provide comfortable accomodation at your chosen destination, my camper did that 21 years ago and is still doing it now :D

My present van is E reg, new van layout only been produced in righthand drive since last summer. My van has to be good to drive as well as live in, if I was only interested in comfort at desination I'd go back to caravanning. I fully intend to keep the new van untill it's worn out, hopefully more than just a couple of years. :D

We are definitely mad - we even added cruise control to our daughter-in-laws old(er) car when they emigrated to the U.S. last year and we gained it for regular quick trips to our place in the centre of France. Brilliant! At the weekend I drove on a motorway for 165 miles without having to change gear - a really great way of eating up the miles and travelling economically and fairly relaxed into the bargain. As we get anywhere near Paris (Chartres) I hand over to the better half though. :$ Have to admit we wouldn't bother if we just travelled in the Uk as it would be off more than on, due to the awful traffic on our roads.*-)

We tend to tick a lot of boxes when ordering new vehicles - years ago we would have thought it was a waste of money but the older we get the more we go for comfort. The best box ticked was on the Aviano last year - very last minute we decided to have the bigger fuel tank added, for £60, and it has already paid for itself - we can fill up with diesel in France (on Monday diesel was priced at €1.23 at the cheapest site in St Martin Boulogne) and travel up to 600 miles before refilling. (Means we usually don't have to fill up again after coming home until we reach France again on our next trip.):-D

Suits us but firmly in the mad group. ;-)

Solo driving would be a nightmare in France without electric windows so they are very important to me.

I have cruise control on my car in England (bought new 3 years ago) and have never used it. I do use the speed regulator though (not sure if that is the correct name for it) which can be set for different road speed limits and is a useful reminder to keep within them.

Interested to read about the diesel price. I came down beginning of February and the cheapest diesel was €1.26 and at the local supermarket yesterday it was €1.30. You obviously did very well.

Guest pelmetman
Patricia - 2011-02-23 11:06 AM

I do use the speed regulator though (not sure if that is the correct name for it) which can be set for different road speed limits and is a useful reminder to keep within them.

I thought that was cruise control :-S

pelmetman - 2011-02-23 11:29 AM

I do use the speed regulator though (not sure if that is the correct name for it) which can be set for different road speed limits and is a useful reminder to keep within them.

I thought that was cruise control :-S

No the cruise control is a separate control and only works over 40 m.p.h (I think!). I have a Citroen C3. Can't check what the control is called as the car is in England and I am in France.

Should have explained more carefully - when set for 30mph, for example, when that speed is reached there is a resistance under my foot. If necessary I can drive through this but it is a definite reminder. I will work in other speed controlled areas to e.g. 40, 50 or 60 etc.

Solo driving would be a nightmare in France without electric windows so they are very important to me.

I have cruise control on my car in England (bought new 3 years ago) and have never used it. I do use the speed regulator though (not sure if that is the correct name for it) which can be set for different road speed limits and is a useful reminder to keep within them.

Interested to read about the diesel price. I came down beginning of February and the cheapest diesel was €1.26 and at the local supermarket yesterday it was €1.30. You obviously did very well.

We were amazed at the different prices on this trip (our last one was in November) and even our French neighbours said that diesel prices are going up even quicker than petrol. As we were using the car (petrol) the price seemed very high - almost UK prices - and varied even in Mont Lucon by a large margin - €1.559 at a roadside garage and, less than 1/4 mile away, at Carrefour - €1.459. The diesel seemed to be cheaper as we came North (we always make room for 2 x 20 litre jerry cans to fill with diesel to take home. ;-))

The cheapest we saw for either fuel was Le Clerc if heading South on the N12 just north of Dreux, at the roundabout; if heading back North towards Calais, the petrol station / aire on the N12. If you buy an €8 meal you can have a free shower there too - small Aire but well equiped :-D The coffee is also very good there and reasonable at €1.20 per "long espresso" - freshly made. Delicious. I think the fuel was 1 cent difference to Auchan St Martin Boulogne - where we always call in to use their pressure washer and empty the grey/ black water etc. before heading home. Viva La France... B-)

ips - 2011-02-22 2:47 PM

No Need for it!!

Try doing 35k a year with no cruise and sciatica..........you would soon change your mind :-D

Only 35K a year Ips..As an HGV driver I was actually doing on average 1800 miles a week giving me a yearly average of 90.000 a year..I was termed a TRAMPER..out all week sleeping in the cab..and tipping reloading travelling tipping reloading you get the idea...As for back pain I've suffered with back pain since an incident in Ulster in 88 when I found myself cartwheeling across the road and landing in a heap after a blast bomb cracked off...The guy who picked me up said I could only give you a 7 for your landing cos you never pointed your toes!! Mind you those Isri seats were nice..Still no need for cruise though but!!

747 - 2011-02-22 8:39 PM

I have never liked the colour scheme of my upholstery but it is academic, everything is covered up. That is because I have 6 dogs (eat your heart out Mel) and European travel with them would require a lottery win with greedy French vets and passports etc.

Ha-ha! We had 5 dogs ... twice! First lot were Sally (rescue), Pootle (unwanted puppy), Barley (rescue), Poppy (rescue) and Kizzie (unwanted puppy), then we went down to 4 when Sally passed away, then Honey a stray found us .... and we succumbed ....! *-) We then went down to 4, to 3, then within 15 days, to 2, then back up to 3 when we got Romy, down to 2 when we lost Kizzie, back up to 3 with Lily until we had to have Midge put down last year, and are now down to 2.

Might go back up to 3 sometime this year but managing to resist at the moment! :D It doesn't help though when hubby sells dog cages and people come round to buy one with the cutest of puppies in tow .... :-D

Archived