6 months in Europe, help with itinerary please

TonyandGill

Hello,

we are planning to spend 6 months touring Europe and I have been trying to plan a very loose route. We are planning to cross from Portsmouth to Santander at the end of March going in a kinda anti clockwise direction spending time on north coast of Spain, then into Portugal and then possibly following the coast of Spain into France. We then want to spend time touring the bottom half of France then moving onto Italy. We would like to be in Tuscany for the last two weeks of July to meet up with family. Not too sure of the route out of Italy but want to end up in the northen half of France and probably coming back to the UK via Amsterdam to Newcastle at the end of September.

Our motorhome is 7m long, so not the most manoeuvrable and we will be taking our bicycles to get around. We would like to do a mixture of wild camping, campsites and aires. We would like to spent time on the coast as well as the enjoying the countryside and national parks. We don't want to get caught up in busy resorts and we want to do as little city/town driving as possible but wouldn't mind staying on a campsite and using public transport into some of the cities.

We have been motorhomers for the last three years but have never been abroad with it. I have been reading the Rough Guide books for the countries we plan to visit but think I get bogged down in the detail. I don't want to plan where we will be every single day of the 6 months and we know we don't want to be on the move everyday. I know there is more to Spain than the costas and we have enjoyed time in Grenada, Ronda and Cordoba in the past when on a package holiday. Same with Italy, we enjoyed a holiday on Lake Garda so I know we would like to spend some time there too. We have also visited Brittany and Normandy many years ago and would like to revist there too but I know there will be lots of other wonderful places to visit in these countries but how do we decide where to go?

Sorry for a long ramble but can anyone help with an itinerary or advise the best way to create/decide on one? Your help with this would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Tony and Gill :-D

Archived