campsites for northern spain

regency

Hi folks.

Hubby and I travelling on the ferry to Santander end of April. Seems to be lots of nice looking campsites on that coast anybody have any recommendations. We plan to spend a week in Northern Spain and then travel up through France for the next 2 weeks.

Cheers!

Two sites that come to mind are the La Paz site at Vidiago, about 50 miles west of Santander and inland, in the Picos Mountains, La Viorna site near Potes.

La Paz site is on a cliff top with nice beach below. Has rather steep entrance and pitches are mostly on terraces with great views out to sea.

It's some time since I went to La Viorna ( with a tent ) but I remember it as an excellent site with extensive views of the Picos. Maybe someone else can say if it's o.k. for motorhomes (?)

La Paz is breathtaking but you have to be able to walk up and down some quite steep paths and steps. It's number 1823 in this year's ACSI Camping Card book charging €15 a night from 15 April to 30 June. Caravans get towed up by the site land-rover to prevent clutch problems. Motorcaravans have to fend for themselves. Ours did, of course:-S

There is easy walking along the coast, or just inland, through a pleasant village to the east. Walking to the west for a couple of miles brings you to a clifftop area where caves have been created by the sea with openings in the clifftop itself. Depending on the state of the tide the flow of water into the caves produces some loud and interesting sounds *-)

I've stayed at la Paz when we had a caravan but I don't think I would use it with a coach built but if you are brave it is a spectacular site.

Most sites on that Coast tend to have small pitches and facilities are in the main not what you will find on the other coasts but it is a must if you have never been.

These may be in the wrong direction for you but worth considering:

Camping Playa Joyel @ Noja had good access and level pitches when we last visited. It's right on a safe beach beach and used by at least one of the clubs.

Camping El Rosal, San Vicente de la Barquera. Good site if you get the right pitch and a short walk over the estuary bridge brings you to San Vicente de la Barquera itself and that's one of our favourite spots.

Hope you get the weather and if going up into the mountains choose your route with care or you will spend more time looking at overhangs then sight seeing. By that I mean most roads go through river valleys so choose a route so you travel mainly on the river side if possible.

Some lovely sites in northern spain, take ACSI book with you also we find usefull is the CC book europe 1. One word of advice, we went in May 2009 and it was wet. Northern Spain gets a lot of rain. We plan to go back , maybe this year, but will leave until June next time As already stated it is quiet hilly, as are many of the sites Enjoy your trip, we also are leaving end of April, but are going to try the tunnel , just one way, back by fast cat to Portsmouth

PJay

If you do decide to go into the mountains then despite what I said about overhangs we traveled direct from San Vicente de la Barquera (my spelling in the above was incorrect) to Riano. In 2008 the site appeared to be new with very good facilities shop and restaurant but at the time no cleaner! Attached is the view from our pitch of the lake and town backed by mountains. We were surprised how cold it was in mid June. The route also passes the turning to Fuente de the highest point in the Picos and reached by a cable car. most camp sites in the area have a board showing what the visibility is like at the top of Fuente de to help avoid a wasted journey. At the top the cable car is met by a Landrover that takes you to a Parador at the top if you want refreshment. Once again we were not dressed properly for the occasion and had a quick look at the view and snow drifts before retreating back down for coffee.

Sorry I can't load the pic but the view was spectacular.

Archived