Leave thermal cover on windscreen when parked up?

deerhound

I have noted several motorhomes with their thermal covers fitted over windscreens when parked up/in storage, I am continually cleaning the marks on winscreen left by rain coming off the overhead cab, I have treated the glass with Rainx which does not make much differance. Would leaving the cover on ruin it and leave it soaked? Thanks for any help. :-D

A few years ago one of the makers of external screens advised that if left on for prolonged period problems could arise from the filling material retaining moisture and providing a home for moulds etc.

They probably need to come off and dry out on a regular basis.

My guess is that the marks are due to rainwater holding atmospheric pollution and/or dissolving polish or dirt and dripping from exactly the same spot on the over cab. Enough remains as the screen dries to leave the marks.

Although a sheet of plastic might stop the marks I suspect due to retained moisture greenery might appear under it and still need cleaning.

One solution I have seen is to fit a gutter around the over cab that carries water clear of the screen.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Bits-and-Bobs-for-caravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Drip-Stop-Mini-Gutter

I always keep mine on at home, I don't like leaving the Remis blinds closed in hot sun as the adhesive tends to give up where the blind is held to the framework. Keeping the sun out prevents the upholstery fading.

The Taylormade blinds I use at home are 2½ years old and do seem to be adsorbing a bit of water & have gone a bit green with algae. When the weather gets a bit warmer I'll kill of the algae with some bleach & give them a few coats of Fabsil waterproofer. Just brought a Silver Product screen for touring, also have a Solar Silver Screen for the summer.

I have always left my six year old Taylormade external screens on whilst the van is parked on my drive and they haven't suffered in any way other than to have dirty rainwater marks, bird droppings etc, on which are easily removed with a damp cloth. Some dirty marks are also apparent on the windscreen when the covers are removed but these are easily removed by the wipers with screenwash. When parked up on Sites, Aires etc I use the internal silver screens for privacy and protection from the sun. I see no problem with using them, after all that's why I bought them in the first place. :-D B-)

Guest Tracker

On the other hand and having tried windscreen covers I prefer never to use them at all at any time and I no longer have any!

They are bulky to store, a pain in the bum to remove and put away when wet, they take away the view out of the best window in the house and they don't make a lot of difference to internal warmth in my experience - unless you are out in Siberian winter temperatures - and not many of us are!

I have heard all the arguments in their favour and along with many others feel that the marketing types have done a really good job in convincing so many people that they need them!

Morning condensation is quickly cleared with a microfibre cloth and on the rare occasion that I get a windscreen stain a bit of Flash soon clears it.

As far as not getting window streaks in the first place, it pays to go up on the van roof once a year and give it a good wash down with a strong detergent and then do NOT polish it - it works for me!

Each to their own!

Thanks all for info, I purchased the Silver screen cover when I got motorhome and used it over new year, but last week due to torrential rain at night I did not bother to fit it and must say never felt any real difference in temp, only the water and yes it does take up lots space in wardrobe, but the information on the adhesive guttering to prevent the windscreen staining is great news, I will go down this road and get same. Many thanks. :-D

We have had our van for about 6 years now and in that time we have used them while its laid up at home every winter as others have said it saves leaving the remis closed and it protects the windscreen. We never take them with us anywhere as they are too bulky.

We keep our long line Taylormade all the time been in use for just over two years now. Keeps the scuttle clean from tree debris and reduces rain water entering drains and bonnet vent, I should think it will need replacing after about three years.

We have 2 sets, an old set of Taylormade 'silver' coloured ones which we bought many years ago for a Fiat Ducato (2003 model). I adapted them to fit our previous Ford and our current Ford based van. They have been on since December and have shown no signs of mould or getting waterlogged when they have been removed to take the van out.

The second set, Taylormade 'gold' coloured ones, are the ones for the current Ford base, and we bought them from a motorhome show last year in a private sale from someone who had changed his van to a Fiat, but hadn't had the screens long.

It is very subjective whether you want screens or not when out and about, but we do. We have a 'euro lounge' so use the front cab seats for relaxing etc, sitting in a cold cab with only a curtain between you and the outside world doesn't stop the cold coming in through the glass when out of season, so the screens are well worth putting on to make it comfortable, save heating fuel, and don't actually take much time to put on or remove, even if wet - a quick wipe over with a good shammy soon gets the water off and they are nearly dry - we just put a small tarpaulin on top of the fixed bed and plonk the screens on there and they dry in no time at all.

As for storing them - yes they can be bulky, but if you squish them down and roll them up, then use a strap to hold them that way, you can get them really small, about the size of a packed double sleeping bag.

Tracker - 2011-02-19 3:42 PM

On the other hand and having tried windscreen covers I prefer never to use them at all at any time and I no longer have any!

They are bulky to store, a pain in the bum to remove and put away when wet, they take away the view out of the best window in the house and they don't make a lot of difference to internal warmth in my experience - unless you are out in Siberian winter temperatures - and not many of us are!

Each to their own!

I'm with Tracker on this, plus should you ever need to move in a hurry anytime, well.......................mine will be shortly going on Ebay. A much better solution we have found is a silent gliss curtain track and some heavy curtains across the cab area just behind the front cab seats, works wonders, and is less of a faff than closing off all the cab windows at night, plus a bit of instant privacy during the day if needed.

Maybe of use during storage,as long as they don't get nicked :-|

Was a sceptic at first but motorhoming over this winter has converted me with Remis blinds condensation was a major pain and I mean major! Also temperature in cab area was always chillier, purchased Silver Products screens and no condensation whatsoever and cab area is much warmer. Ours has the fold down centre panel allowing light in during the day.

Cold night here on shores of Loch Ken (Dumfries & Galloway) I'm warm and cosy sitting on swivelled front passenger seat with only the convector heater on half power. So yes they do what they say and insulate the large frontal glass areas eliminate condensation and reduce heating costs.

I'd thoroughly recommend them, but horses for courses (I'd also disagree re the comment about fitting, once done a couple of times they are fitted in seconds and are not bulky when stowed).

Archived