Could it happen here?

nightrider

The middle east is in turmoil, never has the like been seen before, could it happen here? there are about two and a half million people unemployed and the figures are rising daily.

A million school leavers and educated graduates who haven't got a cat in hells chance of a job, a million and a half other people who are in despair, in debt perhaps losing their homes.

Who are they going to blame? Gordon Brown or David Cameron with his savage cuts, I would say Cameron after all he is the one who is actually putting people out of work, could it be possible all those out of work get it together on facebook and organise mass protests? who knows.

The protesters in the middle East have used facebook to organise things.

Jesus Christ , your blaming Cameron , have you been in a coma for a few years . How the hell do you blame Cameron . Are they going to come into power and make these cuts for fun , to win votes , I think not . Were in a hole mate , a big one if you had not noticed . As for the unemployed , yes there are genuine cases were people have not been able to gain employment and been in that position must be horrendous , but for every genuine case there is another , a lazy scroungin sod with no intention to work only to scrounge off me .

Hi, How about a protest about the 80% tax on fuel which is crippling the whole of the U.K.?

I have a plan for the P.M. --reduce the fuel tax by 15% to boost the economy;

Then reclaim the tax at 5% per year starting in April 2012 and each year until it is back to 2011 levels; this would give the U.K. such a boost in its finances and would cover every aspect of life in G.B.

it,s just a thought!

Dave.

knight of the road - 2011-02-19 6:47 PM

The middle east is in turmoil, never has the like been seen before, could it happen here? there are about two and a half million people unemployed and the figures are rising daily.

A million school leavers and educated graduates who haven't got a cat in hells chance of a job, a million and a half other people who are in despair, in debt perhaps losing their homes.

Who are they going to blame? Gordon Brown or David Cameron with his savage cuts, I would say Cameron after all he is the one who is actually putting people out of work, could it be possible all those out of work get it together on facebook and organise mass protests? who knows.

The protesters in the middle East have used facebook to organise things.

The people of the middle east are protesting because they want a democracy like ours.

( Or an even better one if they could achieve it).

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2011-02-19 7:39 PM

The people of the middle east are protesting because they want a democracy like ours.

Poor sod's.........If their really unlucky they might get one just like ours >:-(

Read my post again sunshine, nowhere in it do I personally blame Cameron, I said that it will be THEY that will blame Cameron, the people who have been thrown out of work etc, the public are very fickle and have short memories, Brown is history, it is Cameron who is in the firing line and it is Cameron that is going to cop for the schrapnel.

antony1969 - 2011-02-19 7:15 PM

Jesus Christ , your blaming Cameron , have you been in a coma for a few years . How the hell do you blame Cameron . Are they going to come into power and make these cuts for fun , to win votes , I think not . Were in a hole mate , a big one if you had not noticed . As for the unemployed , yes there are genuine cases were people have not been able to gain employment and been in that position must be horrendous , but for every genuine case there is another , a lazy scroungin sod with no intention to work only to scrounge off me .

antony,

Whats with your obsession that people are taking money off you?

Like they say, a fool and his money are soon parted, are you that proverbial fool?

No.

I take little notice of anything except my survival. Living through WWII this is nothing, its a bit of a nuisance and thats all.

Pass through life a simply as possible and you cannot fail to find it easy.

Never voted so I have no complaimts on who does what,

art

Guest pelmetman
art338 - 2011-02-19 10:28 PM

No.

I take little notice of anything except my survival. Living through WWII this is nothing, its a bit of a nuisance and thats all.

Pass through life a simply as possible and you cannot fail to find it easy.

Never voted so I have no complaimts on who does what,

art

A great philosophy Art :D

Art,

You may not vote yourself therefore you accept whatever happens, but its the people that do vote who will change things.

People power stopped the poll tax and the recent proposals to sell off the forests, I am of the opinion that anything can happen if the people get angry enough and I think British anger is increasing by the day.

I was going to reel off my theories on government but ... I don't accept most of what they say, which is often set up to antagonise when the real issue is something totally different.

My protest is not to vote, and in my view anyone who does is adding to the confusion.

No more comments, I've done my bit in life.

art

knight of the road - 2011-02-19 6:47 PM

The middle east is in turmoil, never has the like been seen before, could it happen here? there are about two and a half million people unemployed and the figures are rising daily......

Their problems are much more than unemployment.

Many arab countries have been "Governed" by dictatorship regimes, rigged, jiggled and fiddled with by much Western interference. Mubarak met the 'approval' of the West but had held Egypt in an iron grip for 30 years. After Tunisia people of Egypt took to the streets to make clear they wanted Mubarak out. Now we are seeing the same in Libya and Bahrain.

Imagine being told Cameron or Blair would control power in the UK for the next 30 years backed by the vast wealth of the Saudi Royals for example, and there would be absolutely nothing we could do about it. That we had to learn to shut up, put up and do as we were told. Anyone coming on to a forum like this or publishing anti-Government views would risk a visit from the State Police.

Whats happening now in the middle east will rewrite history and the West are going to have to start learning to listen for a change instead of meddling. Both the US and the UK will find that quite difficult. Who takes power in Egypt we have yet to see. It may well be someone that we don't particularly like.......but it's not our country.

So the bottom line being, the same won't happen here as we have a democratically elected Government whom we can change, though that's not always so easy as we know and one heck of a lot of damage can be done in just a few years of Government. And Condem or NL we all know whoever is in power does very nicely thank you very much during their term of office. I don't know of any ex-MP's stacking Supermarket shelves on the minimum wage or queuing up in their local Job Centre!

Hi,

Would you take a pay CUT if you knew it would mean you keep your job? Would you take a pay cut if you knew it would help somebody else keep their job?

But what happens if everybody takes a pay cut? Perhaps we would gain competiveness, and foreign goods would lose out?

How does it make sense to export a product made in UK, and import a product made elsewhere.

Britain is known as "Treasure Island" throughout the EU.

NI contributions are a tax, but they are only a tax on British goods, both in UK and abroad. So get rid of NIC, increase VAT to pay for whatever NICs are spent on. At least that would level the playing field in UK, and give us an edge in countries to which we export. Review the level of VAT monthly, same as interest rates are reviewed.

The system is corrupt and based mostly on lies and greed, I say vote them in on their pledges and promises, then 1 year later see what they have come up with, no pledges or promises then sack the leader immediatly and continue this untill a decent one is found, we need to go back to making things ourselves, engineering in particular, some of the areas I have visited up North are crippled by unemployment, fit young men and woman with no hope or chance of work, its a disgrace and listening to retired proffesional people from various backgrounds we are going down the wrong road, I agree with Knight Of the Road, somthing has to give here, and soon. :'(

If I am not wrong the economic cuts we are facing are happening due to our ever increasing national debt etc . Stop immigration , stop welfare and disability payments to slackers and stop all but absolutely essential foreign aid . Easy Ive just sorted it and not a job lost , oh and also try not selling our gold reserves at giveaway prices

deerhound - 2011-02-20 5:34 PM

The system is corrupt and based mostly on lies and greed, I say vote them in on their pledges and promises, then 1 year later see what they have come up with, no pledges or promises then sack the leader immediatly and continue this untill a decent one is found, we need to go back to making things ourselves, engineering in particular, some of the areas I have visited up North are crippled by unemployment, fit young men and woman with no hope or chance of work, its a disgrace and listening to retired proffesional people from various backgrounds we are going down the wrong road, I agree with Knight Of the Road, somthing has to give here, and soon. :'(

I dont care what anyone says, intelligent youngsters with no hopes of a job are going to rebel at sometime in the future and our ever diminshing police force will not be able to contain them.

Guest Peter James
antony1969 - 2011-02-19 7:15 PM

for every genuine case there is another , a lazy scroungin sod with no intention to work only to scrounge off me .

Where is your evidence of that? (?)

Guest Peter James

Consider this. If I employ a gardener and pay him £6500 per year for 50 years - total £325,000 for his lifetimes work, he will have to pay tax on it.

If I leave £325,000 to a billionaire for doing nothing, he will pay no tax on it.

Why should earned income be taxed more than unearned income?

antony1969 - 2011-02-20 5:46 PM

If I am not wrong the economic cuts we are facing are happening due to our ever increasing national debt etc . Stop immigration , stop welfare and disability payments to slackers and stop all but absolutely essential foreign aid . Easy Ive just sorted it and not a job lost , oh and also try not selling our gold reserves at giveaway prices

Here we go again? another one knocking people on benefits, as if they haven't got enough to contend with already, hit out at the people that are really ripping the public off.

I'm not knocking those on benefits who are genuine but I know and have known several who are on disability and should not be. Lets hope the new tests and reviews put things right. I also know several who are on job-seekers allowance who could get a job but choose not to. I was talking to one yesterday who at 35 has a PhD in some obscure subject and has hardy ever worked. He is currently not working but won't take any jobs that he feels beneath him even though in this current climate he has no chance of finding such a job. In my view he should be forced to take any available job or loose his benefit. I don't see why I should go on subsidizing him.

For those who say there no jobs around I have another friend who lost his skilled job as a machinist when his firm was taken over and moved. Within a week of that happening he had found new job. Not as well paid and skilled as his previous one but a job just the same which as he says is better than sitting around on the dole.

Guest Peter James
Colin Leake - 2011-02-22 9:56 AM

I'm not knocking those on benefits who are genuine but I know and have known several who are on disability and should not be. Lets hope the new tests and reviews put things right. I also know several who are on job-seekers allowance who could get a job but choose not to. I was talking to one yesterday who at 35 has a PhD in some obscure subject and has hardy ever worked. He is currently not working but won't take any jobs that he feels beneath him even though in this current climate he has no chance of finding such a job. In my view he should be forced to take any available job or loose his benefit. I don't see why I should go on subsidizing him.

For those who say there no jobs around I have another friend who lost his skilled job as a machinist when his firm was taken over and moved. Within a week of that happening he had found new job. Not as well paid and skilled as his previous one but a job just the same which as he says is better than sitting around on the dole.

The elephant in the room everyone is ignoring is that there aren't enough jobs. Consider this. A bricklayer gets a bad back and tires easily. He is still capable of bricklaying and would love to go back to work, but because there are so many fit young men looking for work, his chances of actually getting a job are zero. He is on benefits, but if you saw him you would think him capable of work. There may be thousands like him. What will happen if you take their benefits away? The cost of courts and prisons is many times the cost of benefits.

Wouldn't you rather tax the Bankers and Royal Hangers On who caused this mess?

They must be rubbing their hands watching the common folk falling out amongst themselves whilst they continue to rip us all off. Divide and Rule.

There is a very good summary here, for those who can be bothered to read it instead of soaking up all the s**te in the gutter press http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/not_working

In response to Peter and Mr Knight of the Road , I havent suggested for one moment that all who are on benefits are cheats etc . What I did mention were the slackers who sponge from us . Your experiences of people on benefits may be different to mine , what I know personally is to my shame I have 2 family members falsely claiming , people I know and know of are falsely claiming now or have in the past , tenants I have in properties falsely claiming ( may I add not for my rent ) , people who use the same building/roofing supplies as I do falsely claiming and the list goes on , not lies it is unfortunately the truth .

Your candy coated dream world is obviously much better than mine and a place were we all live happily ever after . You are fools If you believe we are not wasting millions on cheats .

P.S , Mr Knight yes your right I did say fools

Archived