Saturday Night Television

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Is it me or are programmes getting worse on Saturdays nights.

Have just watched Comic Relief Let's Dance - utter rubbish.

For the rest of the night we will be clicking from one station to another trying to find something half watchable.

Sue

pelmetman - 2011-02-19 8:02 PM

For the rest of the night we will be clicking from one station to another trying to find something half watchable.

Sue

Yeah !

Why can't we have some cookin' on a Saturday night !!

;-)

Guest Tracker

The BBC in particular seems hell bent on providing idiot TV aimed at - err - idiots - and/or teenagers when in reality it is not they who pay the license fee!

Or am I missing something - well I ain't missing much that's for sure!

I fully agree that weekend TV is usually diabolical. In fact I am writing this now at 8.30 pm on a Saturday night as the TV is switched off. We watched the Morse repeat on ITV3 and that was basically it. If we had a subscription option for BBC I wonder how many people would actually take it on?

We actually purchased a portable TV for the van and used it for 1 trip, but after the 2nd night it got switched off, and is now in the attic. As we do most of our touring in Europe, that in itself is not such a loss as I am not carrying a 4 foot diameter disch just to watch a soap in Spain.

Have reverted back to the old system of a good book.

What a bunch of misserable old gits. The dancing program is meant to be a laugh for charity.

If you want to do something useful on a Saturday night , get your knitting or crochet out.

Dave225 - 2011-02-19 8:29 PM

I fully agree that weekend TV is usually diabolical. In fact I am writing this now at 8.30 pm on a Saturday night as the TV is switched off. We watched the Morse repeat on ITV3 and that was basically it. If we had a subscription option for BBC I wonder how many people would actually take it on?

We actually purchased a portable TV for the van and used it for 1 trip, but after the 2nd night it got switched off, and is now in the attic. As we do most of our touring in Europe, that in itself is not such a loss as I am not carrying a 4 foot diameter disch just to watch a soap in Spain.

Have reverted back to the old system of a good book.

Same as you.

We bought a small portable TV for the van. Took it once, fiddled with a satellite finder, and when we got a picture found nothing worth watching.

Can't remember where the telly is now, but we just take DVDs and a player away in the van.

TV watching = The News, the ocasional quiz show, Time Team. Top gear for its annoyance value, and birdwatching with Strictly Come Dancing. In all about 6-8 hours a week. Some reading but most evenings on this machine. family history. pics and general surfing.

Away in the van its just the radio and a stack of CDsand the laptop for keeping in touch with home. Some reading but we travel to see places and people.

Have you noticed how noisy the shows are?

Strictly, dancing on ice ,all game shows. I have to mute the sound because of the wall of screaming, whistling, and jungle sounds. What ever happened to polite clapping?

The audience are whipped into frenzy! they must get your attention by any means, like the presenters who wave their arms and make spiders with their hands just in case you look away for an instant!

Or am I getting old?

Dave.

This week the local weather forecast has been very popular as there is a new presenter. Very young, very attractive and on her 1st night was wearing low cut top and micro skirt. Nobody can recall what the actual weather was supposed to be.

Unfortunately the powers that be at the Beeb told her to 'dress down'. Bummer.

Apart from that interlude, Marchlands has proven to be pretty good, and The Promise is worth watching, if possibly a little far fetched. Outcasts is good for a laugh, especially the poor quality sets. As mentioned Top Gear is good until they start with the guest 'stars'. I frequently have never heard of them, must be due to not watching much TV I suppose. And that is about it. The News is always good for a laugh on the Beeb, as it is usually taken from the pages of the Guardian, but before anyone jumps on me I am referring to their political coverage, not tragic events around the world.

We record programmes in the week which we don't get chance to watch, and watch them on Saturday nights instread ... gonna have a look at 'Relocation' with Phil Spencer about Australia shortly and dream of nice hot places ... :-D

... whilst I do my jigsaw puzzle of course! :D

Mel B - 2011-02-19 9:58 PM

We record programmes in the week which we don't get chance to watch, and watch them on Saturday nights instread ... gonna have a look at 'Relocation' with Phil Spencer about Australia shortly and dream of nice hot places ... :-D

not just me then lol ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2011-02-19 9:58 PM

Alright we will "Out" ourselves :D we were doing a jigsaw last night as well :-D

Been pretty dire for some time so tend to watch weird stuff on BBC4.

Original Wallender with subtitles, definitely not Kenneth loveey, and the latest is The Killing, danish with subtitles. Both seem to show the police as prefectly normal human beings with all the attendent problems.

The Killing is a 20 parter and has now got half way and the suspect list is changing by the episode, good stuff.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental
For moi Saturday night is the Swedish language version of Wallender, or at the moment the excellent Danish series "the killing". Probably to high brow for you lot, as it requires reading subtitles and knowing when BBC 4 is *-)

We also enjoyed the Swedish Wallender. However, there were 2 versions with different actors. One seemed to be made for TV while the other was more a film version shown on TV. The latter had Wallender as a much scruffier and paunchy individual, but still enjoyable. Neither introduced the father figure in the UK version. We watched the KB version first and thought it was ok, until we saw the Swedish versions which as others have mentioned, are superior. However, having seen them all there is not much point in watching them again.

Like others we 'tape' some of the programmes, especially those with adverts as this allows us to see the whole thing in a one'er, not forever losing the plot with umpteen adverts for anti ageing cream, which according to my better half, are not any good, and as she also says, 'why use them on 20 year old models? If they have a problem at that age what chance for the rest of us?'

pelmetman - 2011-02-19 8:02 PM

Sue

Dave, how come you aint out bopping on a saturday night?

Glad you guys on here gave me proper advise on several things when I purchased motorhome, I was going to fit dome on roof for TV, solar panels etc etc, now after several outings I find no time to watch the terrible crap on TV and dont need half the other junk advertised in the mags, To move off site I unplug the hook up stow it in locker and we are off, no awnings and dishes to dismantle. Oh well.. planning next trip very soon, looks like Isle Of Skye, or Isle Of Mull? PS Only thing I now watch on DVD is Family Guy. :D

Archived