Awnings - view invited

LordThornber

Following on from the mad or mean thread, I'm interested to hear any thoughts about awnings, but in particular those with the facility to attach a safari room.

This is something we're considering for our next van which we hope to be spending longer periods of time away in.

Many thanks as usual.

Martyn

Hi martyn

Personnally I would not want to be without an Awning, especially in heat of summer - (or is that wishful thinking)

Downsides to consider:-

They are heavy, so will eat into your payload. (From memory - 45kg for the Fiamma F45 x 3.5m, the main alternative Omnistor willbe similar.)

Used on their own, you need to wind them in during heavy rain or strong wind. They can cause major damage to the Awning & the Motorhome.

Safari Room- not for me, again very heavy & also bulky. You only have to look at the magazines to see how many are up for sale.

We've een too many people performing actrobatics erecting them. Neighbour has a 4m Safari Room & it took him + Son-in-law 4hours to erect it the 1st time.

They can be very hot & stuffy on warm nights, if used for extra sleeping accomodation.

We have the very lightweight (less than 4kg all in)"Wind Blockers" that might suit your needs, but worth a look:-

www.windblockershades.com

Just ordered one today and cant wait to fit it. Getting awning and safari room. Son and grandson will visit us in France and it will save erecting a tent on camp site. We also go karting and it will create an ideal garage area.

We were in an aires and French neighbour had awning out with feet down. Local police arrived and not happy. Neighbour put feet into brackets on side of MH and Mr Plod was quiet happy. Will ensure I fit brackets.

The police were not a problem as they regularly patrolled which was very reassuring even although the aires had that feel good factor.

Have you thought about a drive away awning? We got a SunCamp Aspect to replace our role-out Fiamma Store last year and have never looked back.

It doesn't take hours to erect, It's more stable in windy conditions, being enclosed. It's much more practical if you like to go out from site in the van on a regular basis - two minutes and it's disconnected. It can be used to store stuff, even when you are not there, unlike a role-out. It all fits in a sports bag sized carrier and weighs less than the Fiamma Store. It identifies the pitch is taken when you're not in. Even better, it cost the same as the basic F Store and it's got four sides as standard.

We have the 4m F45 Fiamma and use "blocker" sides and front panel to make a "room". Takes about 1/2 hour to put up and has withstood some quite serious weather at outdoor shows. It was our trade area for the last two years so we couldn't take it in at night as it was full of our display gear. Well strapped down and secured it should not be a problem though.

The blocker sides and front are a tad lighter than the full safari room I think but it is still a significant extra weight to carry. We used it last year when on our holiday touring up in the North East and it was nice to have an outside room to sit and relax in.

D.

Guest pelmetman

We have the wind out Fiamma and a drive away, we use both, sometimes at the same time :D much to the annoyance of some CC members >:-)

We even have a Argos gazebo with mesh sides that we take if we are with friends and know its mozzie country.

The wind out we tend to use as a sun shade for my bald patch :$

The drive away we use when on site for a few days, the drawback of the safari rooms we find (our friends have one on their caravan) is the condensation, which seems much less in our drive away :-D

1425451190_001-Copyweb.jpg.44308e4e48592079db3271c84ceae886.jpg

DSCN0670web.jpg.fc6c2b9efa2f6723587405cf55badc8d.jpg

Martyn,

We wouldn't be without our 'wind out' Fiamma as it gives us protection from the both the sun and the rain when required. We do tend to use it as either a sun shade or a brolly though and not as an extra room.

There's enough height to safely use the Cadac under it when its chucking it down and I've never had to retract it due to heavy rain. If it is put up correctly, with one leg lower than the other, along with the additional roof stiffeners, any amount of rain will run off the lowest corner, without the risk of pooling.

Although I use tie down plates for the feet and a tie down strap, I do tend to wind it in when the winds get stronger.

I don't know if its just that the edges of the canvas are exposed and flap in stronger winds, but the material just doesn't seem as robust as the full caravan awnings I've used in the past and I don't have the confidence to leave it out overnight or unattended if we're away from the pitch for any length of time.

We don't have the 'Safari Room' attachments, but I've considered getting a full set of 'Windblockers' that are often recommended on here, however until such time as I overcome the reluctance to trust the awning in the wind, I don't think I would get the best from them and can see me constantly removing them to put the awning away :-S

Ken.

Guest pelmetman
The other thing to bear in mind with the windouts with a safari room is that you have to take the whole lot down everytime you need to move, fine if your not too far from the tap or don't mind emptying your grey water by bucket, and you have some other form of transport if you need to go to the shops for a pint of milk:D

My opinion on wind-outs has flip-flopped as I've changed 'vans.

I've had them installed on purchase, used them, and then on changing 'van looked back and wondered whether I've really used it enough to justify it, and have one fitted on the new 'van. I've usually gone ahead, but somewhat reluctantly.

On the 'van before the current (which has an integral wind-out, and thus saved me the decision), I didn't have one fitted, but after the first break with really strong sun, regretted it, and ordered and fitted one myself.

(...and there's an interesting job - fitting a large Fiamma awning at home *-) ).

For me, however, it is something we only use when we are present; if we're not, it gets wound-in. Having seen the damage caused to both the awning and the 'van, of one which went "up and over" in a sudden gust, I simply don't trust leaving it out.

A safari room wouldn't suit our pattern of use anyway, so I wouldn't have one, and, though it is probably more stable than using the awning alone, for me, the concerns about leaving it up when away from the 'van would still apply.

If I were looking at a bit of extra room for longer stays on site, I think I'd be looking at one of the lightweight, recent-design free-standing awnings.

BTW we used a drive-away awning years ago when the van was small, and so were the kids. It was a pain to put up and take down (especially in the wet) but the extra room it gave us was invaluable. Wouldn't touch one with a barge-pole now.

You simply need to balance the upsides and the downsides in your mind. Echoing what John said, you see an awful lot of Safari Rooms (and freestanding awnings) up for private sale - it would seem to indicate that many people find the downsides are greater.

Wr have the fiami windout with zipped sides. We also have the safari room , which zips on to it. takes no more than half hour to attach. anchors down easily. We don.t use it very often as only two of us, and we move fairly often. Family use it as they stay in one campsite, and have a car to go about in. Nice extra room if you need the space. Fairly heavy to carry.

If thinking of an awing, very usefull in the sun, I would consider the Fiani zipped one, theen if you decide you need the extra room , can buy at a later stage.

PJay

Ps would attache photos , but don't know how to, sorry

We have an Omnistor windout awning on the van and when we went to Portugal in December we took with us a Movelite XL driveaway awning. It was the first time we had used it and it was surprisingly good. It was very easy to disconnect from the van so that we could go out when we wanted to. It would probably be great in Spring/Summer but being as we were there Dec/Jan/Feb we couldn't sit in it during the evenings but good during the day when it was windy.

Thankyou to you all for your excellent responses so far, I'm sure there may be more.

What's clear, well at least to me anyway, is that there is no "favourite", and of course there wouldn't be, everyones usage will of course be different.

I'd heard about the safaris coming up for sale and that concerned me but if the sellers hadn't give much thought to their usage/effort needed to put them up well....buyer beware perhaps?

Lots still to think about as ever.

Martyn

Got a Fiamma F65 (doesn't fit on the side but onto the roof) on our Autocruise Starburst, In the UK it's mainly used to keep the rain off of the entrance door area, and allow the dog to lay outside, also if a 'Barby' (gas) has been planned, it allows it to go ahead, without having to don a 'Souwester', occasionally, (very) it keeps the Sun off while we sit outside sipping a Malt and reading a book. (roll on Summer). Wouldn't be without one, and would be the first thing I fitted to a van without one.

Downsides, you do have to be prepared for sudden wind 'Squalls' and ALWAYS use guyropes or a tie-down strap (with Good strong pegs),even if the sun is Blazing down. Ray :D

Guest JudgeMental
we have a wind out and would not be without one.....we virtually live under it in the summer. they are not that strong though! and need winding in in rough weather, an italian thunderstorm detroyed one of ours *-)

Have not had a wind out but bought a Movelite XL and use it when on sites for more than a couple of nights. Can't fault it apart form its a bit chilly in Britain. Simple to drive away from and takes about half an hour to put up. I can understand having the wind out canopy but the safari room seemed a bit restrictive for our purposes. Just my opinion.

Rog

Fiamma canopy, use it when theres no wind mainly as a smoking shelter :-D Wouldnt have a propper awning as I bought MH because I didnt want to go back to the hassle of caravaning as in having to set everything up and pack it all away and I would consider an awning way too much bother.

http://www.bowenawnings.co.uk/awnings/porch-awnings.html

Jeff Bowen is a great chap to talk to re awnings, so helpful, friendly and patient - he spent a fair bit of time with me talking through what I wanted to achieve with my awning and made suggestions. I bought one, delivered next day - would highly recommend. Contact number below.

Jeff

Anglia Awnings

01787 882277

We Have always had a free standing Awning,stems from Caravanette days, present M/H has wind out type ,but still take our free standing useful when we are on unmarked pitch the free standing is ideal for keeping our Pitch should we have to go out in the M/H,Handy on wet days to hang jackets etc in ,and most uk sites charge Awning prices for wind out shade,s , the wind out we use more as a sun shade (When?????) 

Our last two vans came with windouts already fitted,although we've never had a safari/privacy room as there's only the two of us and after all,we moved to MHs to get away from putting up tents! (lol)

(We used to have a Movelite "square" driveaway,which we sold, having never used it in anger :$ )

As others have posted,we don't leave our Omnistor out unattended either,I'd rather just spend a minute to wind it back in...

If for some reason we need to leave a canopy up (..bbq,table/chairs left out etc)we use an Outdoor Revolution EasiCanopi,slid into the bead groove on our ominstor..at least if that lets go it's only a bit fabric flappin' about!...

So,to summarise,yes a windout canopy is handy,WHEN the conditions are right but are they worth it for the 5-600odd+ quid?..not for us,no.

If I had to spend my money on something,it'd be a proper,tidy one piece awning rail.

This would then give the option of fitting either a simple tarp canopy,a caravan style porch awning or a driveaway MH awning.

(..all of which you'd probably be able to get for a lot less than a windout awning and privacy room set up..) ;-)

sshortcircuit - 2011-02-19 10:38 PM

Just ordered one today and cant wait to fit it. Getting awning and safari room. Son and grandson will visit us in France and it will save erecting a tent on camp site. We also go karting and it will create an ideal garage area.

We were in an aires and French neighbour had awning out with feet down. Local police arrived and not happy. Neighbour put feet into brackets on side of MH and Mr Plod was quiet happy. Will ensure I fit brackets.

The police were not a problem as they regularly patrolled which was very reassuring even although the aires had that feel good factor.

Just a word of warning here - many have commented on the dangers of leaving the wind out awning out without securing it as even a sudden gust of wind can cause serious damage. Having the legs locked in the side fitted catches is even more dangerous - if the sudden gust of wind does take the awning it rips the legs (catches, screws and all) out of the side of the van.

Be careful.

David

Good point David..

Even if we're sitting at the van,we always strap ours' down,using ratchet straps and H/Duty homemade steel pegs...but even this won't stop the fabric from flapping about... :-S

We saw a windout awning that had been ripped off,body casing and all, the side of a Hymer at Glastonbury festival a couple of years back..and the weather hadn't even been that bad that year.

These windout canopies are a little deceiving,in that to the "novice"(sorry,not the best word to use but you know what I mean :$ ),they may think they tick most of the boxes(..self contained,structural support arms etc) but in reality,we've found that in a lot a situations than can be rather fragile...

Guest pelmetman

My tie down kit consists of 2 ratchet straps in dayglow orange 99p each,

and 2 of those curly pegs for tying the dog to, 99p each thats £3.96 :D

Archived