DVD question

ips

Mrs ips has a portable dvd which is fine apart from very low volume. We have an aux port (I believe its for conneting an ipod thingy in the glove box and was wondering if its possible to connect dvd to this and use radio speakers. aux thingy looks like a headphone jack type fitting not sure what fittings we have on dvd. Anyone done this ? any suggestions ?

Should work fine the Aux input is a standard line input DVD headphone output will probably be a 3.5mm mini jack same as the Aux input you just need a standard 3.5 to 3.5mm mini jack lead, a trip down to Maplin's should sort you out.

Have a quick look through the collection of leads everyone has at home from all electronic bit & pieces you have brought in the past you are bound to have one.

many thanks for the reply fairly sure we havent got anything like the lead you mention so trip to pc world req. Glad its do-able because the volume is so low on the dvd thats its not relaxing trying to strain to hear it.

Thanks again - ips

Lenny is entirely correct, but to add:

If you're using a headphone socket (or similar aux out) on the DVD player, make sure get a stereo to stereo lead (it is possible to get mono to mono, though they are less common).

If you use PC world, you'll probably pay a premium for a named brand. I'd be inclined to see if your local supermarket carries a "value" range. Most of the big ones do.

e.g. http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6507.aspx

(the stereo ones, as this, have three separate metal portions to the plug, mono ones have only two)

If you haven't got a headphone (or similar aux out) output on the DVD player, but there is another output, let us know because there will surely be a lead that will work. (Though I would very much expect a hedphone socket on a portable DVD).

(I use my similar Ford socket for playing music back from the Satnav Unit)

Robinhood - 2011-02-20 7:30 PM

Lenny is entirely correct, but to add:

If you're using a headphone socket (or similar aux out) on the DVD player, make sure get a stereo to stereo lead (it is possible to get mono to mono, though they are less common).

If you use PC world, you'll probably pay a premium for a named brand. I'd be inclined to see if your local supermarket carries a "value" range. Most of the big ones do.

e.g. http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6507.aspx

(the stereo ones, as this, have three separate metal portions to the plug, mono ones have only two)

If you haven't got a headphone (or similar aux out) output on the DVD player, but there is another output, let us know because there will surely be a lead that will work. (Though I would very much expect a hedphone socket on a portable DVD).

(I use my similar Ford socket for playing music back from the Satnav Unit)

Many thanks that is most helpfull, I will check that the dvd has the headphone socket (sure it will) then a trip to tesco's it is then.

Guest Peter James
I connected the headphone output of my DVD player to the input of my CD Radio in the van, but the sound is terrible - as though the headphone output is too much for the input even at the lowest volume setting. (Hasn't done any damage though)

UPDATE

Well mrs ips got the correct thing from comet. Its a Belkin and looks very good quality. Tryed it yesterday and very pleased with the results, the sound quality through my trannie radio is very good indeed and now mrs ips will be able to watch, and hear a dvd.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and or give there advice.

ips - 2011-02-22 10:58 AM

UPDATE

Well mrs ips got the correct thing from comet. Its a Belkin and looks very good quality. Tryed it yesterday and very pleased with the results, the sound quality through my trannie radio is very good indeed and now mrs ips will be able to watch, and hear a dvd.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and or give there advice.

We do exactly the same with our portable DVD player/TV.........just with a long 3.5mm-to-3.5mm mini jack cable.

Works a treat.

I've actually used two cables, the first length runs from the van radio to a "male" jack joint on Kathy's side of the MH, so that she can disconnect the extra cable that then runs from that point to the rear of the van (where our DVD thingy lives) and instead plug her iphone into the cable at that point so that we can listen to music from it whilst driving.

The only thing to be aware of is that running your vehicle stereo system whilst parked up does drain your vehicle engine battery, so maybe just keep an eye on that, and remember when parked up to switch off your vehicle stereo as soon as you no longer need it.

Our trannie radio only stays on for 1hr then turns itself off so no danger of leaving it on. We regularily have radio on all evening as we dont do TV whilst away and never drained battery "yet" but point taken many thanks.

Archived