Burstner 821 "beam benders"

Zyroman

Hi,

I had a Burstner Aviano,with the same Hella head lights, when we went France Last year,I adjusted my headlamps the day before we went ,I turn my head lamps on main beam onto the side of our Garage and Marked on the Garage wall the Approx centre of where both  Main beams  fell on the wall of the Garage as a reference mark to return to, I then adjusted the headlamps using the provided adjusters on the top and sides of the headlamp brackets so the main beam shone to the in the centre ,it is normally the Main beam that causes trouble to other drivers, then on return I have to wait till I,m home to reset to UK side,then when It goes in for a service / mot  I ask them to check the adjustment for me, never been charged for doing so.  Someone on Motorhome facts, actually has the number of turns per screw to do, but I,m not a paid up member so cannot ask, sorry its not more informative and Precise. 

Zyroman - 2011-02-21 1:31 PM Thanks Corky, looks like I will have to lift the lid and have a look, I thought them may just have a LHD setting.

I believe some models do have a electrical (12v) switched system to change from Uk to Eurozone, worth a check with your owners hand book.

Sorry to disagree with Corky but it is not the main beam that causes problems to other drivers (unless of course you forget you're on main beam). The problem is the dipped beam pattern. For UK RHD the dipped beam pattern kicks up to the nearside to illuminate the road edge, pedestrians and signposts better. If you do not alter this and use your headlights when abroad the kick up will dazzle oncoming drivers when you are on dipped beam.

Some of the round Hella lamps can be switched from left hand to right hand dip pattern with a simple lever on the rear. Park in front of a wall or garage door at dusk and put the headlights on dipped beam to see the pattern.

D.

Dave Newell - 2011-02-21 2:54 PM Sorry to disagree with Corky but it is not the main beam that causes problems to other drivers (unless of course you forget you're on main beam). The problem is the dipped beam pattern. For UK RHD the dipped beam pattern kicks up to the nearside to illuminate the road edge, pedestrians and signposts better. If you do not alter this and use your headlights when abroad the kick up will dazzle oncoming drivers when you are on dipped beam. Some of the round Hella lamps can be switched from left hand to right hand dip pattern with a simple lever on the rear. Park in front of a wall or garage door at dusk and put the headlights on dipped beam to see the pattern. D.

Quite Correct as usual Dave, about the dipped headlight pattern, Although (luck perhaps) when driving on dipped beam in France, albeit,dipped light beam turned right down on the dash beam height adjuster, I was never Flashed or stopped or pointed at as they do, But Bow to your Expertise,

Just checked the Garage wall and Dave is 100% right, it was the outside/lower head light I adjusted ,"Dip beam", sorry Vernon, thats what comes of  me not putting brain in Gear before operating mouth peddle. I dont have the Vehicle now (my excuse) apologies,...........I hate this getting old thing.

Just checked the Garage wall and Dave is 100% right, it was the outside/lower head light I adjusted ,"Dip beam", sorry Vernon, thats what comes of  me not putting brain in Gear before operating mouth peddle. I dont have the Vehicle now (my excuse) apologies,...........I hate this getting old thing.

see what I mean ,  anyway two Apologies for the price of one,

Dave Newell - 2011-02-21 2:54 PM

...Some of the round Hella lamps can be switched from left hand to right hand dip pattern with a simple lever on the rear. Park in front of a wall or garage door at dusk and put the headlights on dipped beam to see the pattern.

D.

Dave

I can't argue with you about the "simple lever on the rear" as I've never actually handled one of the small round Hella light-units used on many quadruple-light A-Class motorhomes. However, I've always been under the impression that swapping the light-units from left-dip to right-dip pattern (or vice versa) was more complex than that.

I found the following advice on a Hymer-related website:

"Hella headlamps No E 7415 can be adjusted for left- or right-hand drive dipped-beam pattern. Although access is not easy there are three screws on the back housing that when loosened allow the lamp to be pushed away from the lens and rotated past a locating stub to the other position. On top of the lamp housing is an indicator (marked L and R) to assist with the direction to turn the lamp. I have found that once the procedure has been completed, the bottom screw does not have to be completely tightened. This will make the procedure easier next time."

The main problem (as I understand it) is nomally lack of working room - it's easy enough to carry out the above procedure when the light-unit is not installed, but can be virtually impossible when it's fitted to the vehicle. (I'm sure I recall a photo (in MMM?) of a Hymer where the owner had removed the motorhome's lower front panelling to reach to the light-units' screws.)

Perhaps other Hella lights fitted to motorhomes have LHD/RHD dipped-beam pattern adjustment via a lever? Certainly my Skoda's lights can be adjusted in that way, though - as the lever is buried within the light-unit itself - it's necessary to read the handbook to discover that there's the capability.

You are quite correct Derek, my mistake although I'm almost certain that I have seen small round headlights with such a lever and I assumed it was for altering beam pattern. Yes access to the rear of headlights on Hymers is atrocious and generally requires at least partial removal of the wheel arch liner. good of Hella to build in the adjustment feature only for the likes of Hymers designers to make it all but inaccessible.

D.

thanks everyone, I will have a look next time I am down at the van although I suspect I will not be able to get to the lights, the prospect of having to remove the vehicle battery is bad enough as I cannot see how it will come through the space available! maybe I should see if we have a gynecologist on the boards! and if that is spelt correctly I will eat my hat.

Archived