How to clean perspex?

Geoff Tuckley

Welcome to ChrisB, hope you enjoy the forum.

Down to business. . .

I have a Honda Pantheon scooter which I tow on a trailer behind the motorhome so the wife and I can get around the areas we stop over in. It is not my main fun bike but it does the job admirably. The windscreen is a little faded, as though it is bloomed and having priced a new replacement at £130 I am wondering if there is anything known for cleaning perspex that I might use to make it look better as the appearance of ones two wheeled machine is of the utmost importance.

Any ideas, Folks?

If the apearance of the two wheeled machine is of the utmost importance then that screen should be removed immediately!

(Two remove bloom and mistyness from perspex the traditional method is after ensuring its perfectly clean is to "flame finish" it. No its not a joke but serious. But not everybody has the skills or the equipment to do it. I have the skill but no longer have access to the equipment)

C.

Guest Tracker
I always used to use Brasso to polish perspex but I don't know if modern perspex is made the same way - or is even perspex - so whatever you try do it in a small out of sight area first.

We used to have trouble with the perspex headlight protectors on some Jap imports, mainly sportscars. After some experiment came up with this, seems drastic but works. First go over the screen with wet and dry, at least 1000 grade, then with rubbing compound and finally 'T' Cut. Go easy with wet and dry and keep it wet, try on a corner of screen first if you doubt this, but screen will come up like new.

Thanks, Folks,

Sorry about "Perspex", it could very well be polycarbonate, just showing my age! I shall try the various methods suggested on the area behind the body panels which cannot be seen in the normal course of things. I shall let you know, in time, how it workes out.

I agree that for style the screen should be removed but the the years dictate that it is now better to stay dry when caught out by the weather. I dont ride my bike in the rain either unless caught out unexpectedly. Anyway, when the roads are wet I can sometimes have an hours riding followed by two or three hours cleaning (of the bike that is) when I get home.

I would suggest XERAPOL I bought this originally to remove a tree branch scratch from plastic window on van and it was superb. If you just put a bit on the screen and spread it about it would gently remove the surface scrathes, road film, marks etc. Not sure where to buy it as it is a German product but the website on the tube is

www.xerapol.com -maybe it lists uk stockists

Mike

What ever anyone tries for cleaning it will never be as good as the original. Brian is the closest when he suggests flaming, ie, a very light melting of the surface.

The tooling surfaces that makes these screens, also the bezel covers of instruments in modern cars are polished using diamond paste. You will never get anywhere close to that finish with any advertised product.

When the parts are being produced the 'liquid material' is fed onto the polished tooling surfaces where it cools, this is why Brian referred to flaming, its the nearest you will achieve to the original.

art

Apologies it was Clive who mentioned 'flaming' not Brian.

I know little about flaming except that its a logical answer, Clive's comment ties up with injection moulding procedures where the material is fluid and where flaming would have a similar effect on a surface.

art

• 4 weeks later...

Archived