what should I expect

HWO

Hi everybody

Me and the Co-pilot are going to look at a motorhome tomorrow .The dealer has a year old one for the low £50k's and a new one would be in the mid to upper £50k's.

Either option could work for us.

If I trade in my old bus the price in the window when the the dealer comes to sell it will be at least £45k to start with.

Yes I know that the worse way of doing this is to go for the dealers offer, but I am not sure I want to go down the E-bay ,MMM back pages route, so my question is what should I expect the dealer to say tomorrow,money wise

Hard to say what to expect Howard, without seeing either of the vehicles involved.

In general, though, you should assume that at least part of the PX you'll be offered will actually be a discount off the price on the windscreen of your new van. So it's usually a good plan not to ask about PX until you've haggled about the lowest price the dealer will accept WITHOUT it.

At that point, but still before you agree to buy, show him/her your van and ask what they'll give you for it.

Finally, and still before committing yourself, go over the new van and point out anything "extra" you'll need, such as mains cable, levelling ramps, gas bottles ... anything you might end up having to pay out for later. There will be no "freebies" after you've signed on the dotted line.

So you see, if you want to be SURE of the best deal, going to a dealer isn't really all that much simpler than the "eBay/back page" method - except that you'll have the peace of mind that coems from good after-sales service (hopefully! - see other threads!)

All the best with your hunt - keep us posted!

Guest Tracker

The best way to deal is when the dealer needs the sale more than you need to change vans!

No matter what they offer - even in the unlikely event that it is what you hoped for - keep a straight face and politely refuse.

A sharp intake of breath followed by a long sigh might help and be aware that it's a game of bluff and might take you some time to squeeze the pips out of him to get to his bottom line!

Make sure you don't punch the dealer when he offers you a ridculously low price for your beloved van! We were offered 5,500 less than we eventually got, from one dealer, and that was for a brand new van. They are there to get the most out of you so don't be shy at playing them at their own game.

When he mentioned the price, I actually laughed at him and said, " a buyer of a brand new van is no walking out of the door, say goodbye to your commision!"

I never went back and I know for a fact his attitude cost him and his company the best part of 20 grand in lost commision on both sales.

Forget how much for your van, and how much for theirs, just negotiate on the price to change.  Form your own view on how much you are prepared to spend, keep a bit back, and start off by asking how much it will cost you to change vans.  Then just chip away at the difference between his figure and yours.  When you reach stalemate, start talking about what extras he'll include.

Then, say you need to think it over: then, go away and think it over.

After a day or two, go back and explain how much you like the van, but even with the extras, it's still too much cash.  You'll probably get a better price if you take a finance deal (they get commission), though you'll then have to pay the interest, so you'll need to do some arithmetic to see how the balance stacks up.

He needs to sell, you don't need to buy.  The pressure is all on him.

I just ask how much do I have to pay to drive the new  vehicle away then say thats a shame I can only afford £XYZ do no look too enthusiastic regarding the new vehicle and then give the salesman the silent treatment , when I used to sell life assurance as a " man from the Pru " I was taught its as easy to talk yourself out of a sale as it is to talk yourself into one , so say your piece and shut up and let the other party be the first to speak.

Slightly insideous but get a friend to visit the dealer and telephone asking for the exact make and model of the one for sale.

Done over a period of time the memory of the vehicle is in mind and dont forget to offer a really good price but not a silly one.

I have done many deals with cars using this simple ploy. ;-)

Hi

Well we went, we saw, we bought.

The trade in was £39k, which had us both gagging.

A small amount of attempted negotiation, which did not get us even a bike rack, so settled on what we had.

They had a new model in next week, which suited us more than the second-hand one, so it was deal done.

Pick due 11th March,trip away to the SW for the next couple of weeks.

Settling down now with a beer or three to watch England beat the Frogs

Coulpe of happy bunnies.

All the best

Howard

hi, This is mrs Howard, he is abit sqiffy after watching the rugger. We had an Integra810hs and bought an Autotrail Savannah. Loved the Integra but the dog also loved jumping up onto the cab bed at 4pm in the morning because she could see us. Savannah has seperate bedroom. Also fancied a change.

dikyenfo - 2011-02-26 10:03 AM

Slightly insideous but get a friend to visit the dealer and telephone asking for the exact make and model of the one for sale.

Done over a period of time the memory of the vehicle is in mind and dont forget to offer a really good price but not a silly one.

I have done many deals with cars using this simple ploy. ;-)

But bear in mind this can backfire on you, the Dealer will be thinking that Another buyer is interested & you will have more difficulty getting him to reduce (until he becomes aware that the "friend" isn't going to show)

this is what i would do, look at a van that you do not want but is 20k cheaper than the van you do want, then ask about part ex when he gives you a price go to the van you do want and ask for best price pointing out that the van you want is 20k dearer. seemples.

Archived