Brit Stops

Don Madge

That looks really good Don, sounds much better than the Pub Stopover scheme.

They say it is just a one off fee for the guide not annual which is good as people who are only going to be occasional users will join. However could not find a price anywhere on the site.

Looks a great idea - we'll probably join.

The "no frills" approach probably won't be quite as useful in UK as it is in France though, as we don't have the network of "aires de service camping-cars" to do all the wet stuff en route during the day. So in our case, with only just over 24 hrs water on board (we love our shower!) we'd need to alternate between BritStops and sites, whereas in France we can use France Passion for pretty much the whole holiday.

But hey, no complaints! It's still a great leap forward, and well done to Steve!

I emailed them to find out some more details, annual membership will be £25, with a pre-publication offer of £20.

Problem is, they are going down the same route as motorhomestopover.co.uk i.e. compiling a listing, but as they are not an exempted organisation they can't issue exemption certificates to their sites. The sites will therefore run the risk of contravening licence and planning regulations.

Andy

I got the impression from their website it was a one off fee an annual fee has just put me off.

If they had thousands of sites I would consider it I know it's not much but you end spending a couple of hundred quid a year with all these different subscriptions and hardly ever making use of them.

I already pay out for the two clubs CC & C&CC can't stand their sites only a member for the CL's & CS's & I don't use the van much in the UK.

Guest Peter James

Interesting link, Thanks for posting.

I would rather pay for parking than feel morally obliged to buy stuff I don't want. But could be alright if you want whats on sale.

flicka - 2011-02-26 9:52 PM

Looked interesting, but checked a location nearest to us & it's an (old road)layby Truck Stop & locally known as a Doggers rendevous.

Sorry, but not for us if that is typical.

I think you may be taking the map locations too precisely - it also says on the site "Please note this map is only an overview of the spread of Brit Stops hosts - it is not accurate at a local level so sorry, but zooming in will not pinpoint the site." I guess that's to stop people using it without joining - although some of the host types, like brewery, wouldn't be too hard to guess.

I think the map format is based on the German equivalent, Grune Zwiebel - http://www.gruene-zwiebel.de/Web_GB/index.htm

Looked interesting, but checked a location nearest to us & it's an (old road)layby Truck Stop & locally known as a Doggers rendevous.

Hi John, sorry if I'm being thick, but short of paying how did you check a location please?

Or does anyone else know?

Martyn

Guest Tracker

I like the idea and have every admiration and respect for the people trying to get it off the ground.

It's always easy to criticise from afar but £25 / £20 a year might be a bit heavy for many for an unproven scheme?

Our thanks to Don for bringing it to our attention.

Are they licenced or exempt?

The only legal way I can see it working in the UK otherwise is to limit to 1 van per night at a location and only 28 night use of that location in a year.

Quote Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

Use by a person travelling with a caravan for one or two nights

2. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 13 of this Schedule, a

site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a caravan

site by a person travelling with a caravan who brings the caravan

on to the land for a period which includes not more than two nights—

(a) during that period no other caravan is stationed for the

purposes of human habitation on that land or any adjoining

land in the same occupation, and

(b) if, in the period of twelve months ending with the day on

which the caravan is brought on to the land, the number

of days on which a caravan was stationed anywhere on that

land or the said adjoining land for the purposes of human

habitation did not exceed twenty-eight.

We do not have a diferenciation in the UK between parking and camping. The term used is "stationed for the purposes of human habitation"

John

John J Thompson - 2011-02-27 5:11 PM

The only legal way I can see it working in the UK otherwise is to limit to 1 van per night at a location and only 28 night use of that location in a year.

They are not an Exempted Organisation. Their sites, as far as I can see, will be neither licenced not have planning permission. Much the same as motorhomestopover.co.uk

To be honest the 1960 Act is in need of revision, maybe these type of schemes starting up will eventually force a change in the law.

Andy

LordThornber - 2011-02-27 11:53 AM

Hi John, sorry if I'm being thick, but short of paying how did you check a location please?

Or does anyone else know?

Martyn

I went to the Map & double clicked the marker, that brought up the Grid Reference, then loaded that into Google Map, which identified the layby.

Nowt else in the immediate vicinity either side of the road.

If the Grid references are wrong, what's the point of subscribing.

flicka -

I went to the Map & double clicked the marker, that brought up the Grid Reference, then loaded that into Google Map, which identified the layby.

Nowt else in the immediate vicinity either side of the road.

If the Grid references are wrong, what's the point of subscribing.

Ahh, thanks John, I clicked most of the links but obviously missed the map, DOH! :$

Martyn

Andy_C - 2011-02-27 9:56 PM

John J Thompson - 2011-02-27 5:11 PM

They are not an Exempted Organisation. Their sites, as far as I can see, will be neither licenced not have planning permission. Much the same as motorhomestopover.co.uk

To be honest the 1960 Act is in need of revision, maybe these type of schemes starting up will eventually force a change in the law.

Andy

I agree Andy but change is not on the cards due to the cost of rewriting the legislation (source: Officer at Natural England) so it could well go the other way and NE tighten down on us all.

John

Guest Tracker

I have today had an 'invite' to pre order my Brit Stops membership at a discounted price of £20 for the year's access.

I like the scheme but there are several points to ponder.

There appear to only be about 100 places to stop so far and these seem clustered about the Midlands - where we don't spend much time.

We tend to holiday outside the UK mainly and when in the UK we already have access to CCC and MCC CSs & CLs, plus Motorhome Stopover pubs, plus our own network of known overnight stop locations that work for us.

So whilst I can see the attraction, on balance I don't think that we would benefit from any use at this stage - maybe when the scheme has grown to a wider coverage?

However for those who spend a lot of time touring the UK and want to save on site fees it does seem like a worthwhile investment?

http://www.britstops.com/index.html

I think this is an interesting idea and hope that it survives and prospers.

Interesting that the members on 'facts' have embraced it with many joining but 'fun' has concentrated on the legalities of the scheme - I hope this forum does not go down the second road.

Archived