Sittin' on the roof

Way2Go

We've got a 2007 Swift Bessacarr E560 and will be going to a couple of airshows this year.  I was wondering whether the roof would be strong enough for us to sit on to take some great photographs?

I'm presuming that some areas are better and stronger than others but would a roof take two peeps sat on top with legs dangling over the side?

Any views (except from Tracker) would be appreciated ;-)

W2G

Roof loading should be shown in your handbook, if it is a bonded sandwich construction they can usually take 75kg. One person should be OK but I would think 2 was pushing it it a bit.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wife & me on the roof of our Hymer, the roof is very solid (they use high density PU foam in the sandwich & steel framing, no timber) & the wife is only just over 40 kg.

Which air shows are you going to?

We watch the Shoreham-by-Sea one in our back garden & the Eastbourne one parked on the cliff top at Beachy Head.

At the NEC in October I asked about getting on the roof of my van, and I was warned that one of the possible consequences was that the seals around the rooflights could be damaged if the roof flexes at all. Of course you wouldn't know it had happened until it rained !

Sounded like good advice, so I stay off the roof.

:-|

Way2Go - 2011-02-26 5:06 PM

We've got a 2007 Swift Bessacarr E560 and will be going to a couple of airshows this year.  I was wondering whether the roof would be strong enough for us to sit on to take some great photographs?

I'm presuming that some areas are better and stronger than others but would a roof take two peeps sat on top with legs dangling over the side?

Any views (except from Tracker) would be appreciated ;-)

W2G

Hi Way2GoIf there is any ambiguity in the Handbook, I suggest you post it on Swift Talk for a definative answer.It's monitored by Swift staff who (IME) are prompt to reply.http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/forum & goto either the Motorhome General or Motorhome Technical areas.

Archived