GB Euro sticker on number plate

chris

This is from the DVLA web site Rules Governing Display and Appearance of Number plates When the new registration format was introduced in 2001, regulations governing the construction and display of car number plates were revised. These revised regulations apply to the number plates on any and all vehicles registered on or after 1st September 2001. They also apply to all replacement plates made and mounted on vehicles on or after the same date.

Number plates must now use one specific, mandatory typeface - a very simple sans serif typeface intended to make the numbers easy to read by both humans and automatic recognition systems, which are increasingly being used by the police and other agencies. All hard-to-read variants, such as multiple stroke and italic fonts, are now prohibited. The one decorative variation still permitted is a 3D effect version of the mandatory typeface.

The size and spacing of number plate characters is specified in the regulations, as follows:

Each character must be 79mm high and 50mm wide (except the number 1 or the letter I). The width of each character stroke must be 14mm. There must be a space of 11mm between characters within the same group, and character groups must be 33mm apart. For the purposes of measurement, each character (again, excepting the number 1 or the letter I), regardless of its shape, is treated as a rectangular block of dimensions 79mm x 50mm

Optionally, number plates may display one of the following national emblems: British Union Flag with “GB”, English Flag (St George Cross) with “ENG”, Scottish Flag (St Andrew Cross) with “SCO”, Welsh Flag (green dragon on green/white field) with “Wales” and “Cymru” or Euro Flag (circle of stars) with “GB”. If the Euro/GB configuration is displayed, then the bearer vehicle need not display a separate “GB” emblem when driving within the EU.

The colours and reflectivity of number plates are also specified in the regulations, and there is a British Standard (BS AU 145d) which describes the physical characteristics of number plates, including: visibility, strength and reflectivity. Front plates must have black characters on a white background, while rear plates must have black characters on a yellow background. The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: the British Standard Number, the name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier, the name and postcode of the supplying outlet. A non-reflective border is optional. There may be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

No additions or variations are permitted. Common illegal variations are:

•Fancy or decorative typefaces

•Bolts placed in such a way as to alter the appearance of characters

•Adjusted spacing between characters or character groups

•Altered characters

•Additional logos or symbols, such as sporting emblems and religious symbols

Bit long but hope this helps I have stuck a vynil sticker on my Car number Plate and had no problems Phil

AFAIK, the full requirements are set out in the UN CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC.

It should be noted that these refer to requirements which are greater than those for the EU. For instance, I'm led to believe that, since they don't conform to these requirments "EU plates" are not valid without a conforming GB sticker outside the EU countries (e.g. Switzerland)

The extract below governs the display of the "national identifier".

Annex 3

DISTINGUISHING SIGN OF MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAILERS

IN INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC

1. The distinguishing sign referred to in Article 37 of this Convention shall

consist of one to three letters in capital Latin characters. The letters shall

have a height of at least 0.08 m and their strokes a width of at least 0.01 m.

The letters shall be painted in black on a white ground having the shape of an ellipse with the major axis horizontal.

2. When the distinguishing sign consists of only one letter, the major axis of the ellipse may be vertical.

3. The distinguishing sign shall not be incorporated in the registration

number, or be affixed in such a way that it could be confused with that number or impair its legibility.

4. On motor cycles and their trailers, the dimensions of the axes of the

ellipse shall be at least 0.175 m and 0.115 m. On other motor vehicles and their trailers, the dimensions of the axes of the ellipse shall be at least:

(a) 0.24 m and 0.145 m if the distinguishing sign comprises three letters;

(b) 0.175 m and 0.115m if the distinguishing sign comprises less than

three letters.

....so, your blue sticker would not be legal outside the EU, either stuck on the number plate or not. (And there are various warnings from the motoring organisations on the fact that the EU plates are not sufficient in these circumstances).

I'll dig a bit further for the EU regs (though I would guess your chances of being pulled in the EU with the sticker attached would be low - I'd probably choose to put one back and front, as would be the case with custom number plates).

Edit to add:

The specification for the EU plates is defined in EC 2411/98 as below:

SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE DISTINGUISHING SIGN OF THE MEMBER STATE OF REGISTRATION TO BE AFFIXED AT THE EXTREME LEFT OF THE REGISTRATION PLATE

MODEL 1 (example)

>REFERENCE TO A FILM>

MODEL 2 (example)

>REFERENCE TO A FILM>

Colours:

1. Retro-reflecting blue background (Munsell reference 5,9 pb 3,4/15,1)

2. 12 retro-reflecting yellow stars

3. Retro-reflecting distinguishing sign of the Member State of registration, of a white or yellow colour

Composition and dimensions:

1. Blue background:

height = minimum 98 mm

width = minimum 40 mm, maximum 50 mm

2. The centres of the 12 stars to be arranged in a 15 mm radius circle; distance between two opposing peaks of any star = 4 to 5 mm

3. Distinguishing sign of the Member State of registration:

height = minimum 20 mm

width of character stroke = 4 to 5 mm

Where the dimensions of the blue background have been reduced for registration plates taking up two lines (see model 2) and/or for registration plates intended for two or three-wheel motor vehicles, the dimensions of the stars and of the distinguishing sign of the Member State of registration may be proportionately reduced.

If your sticker conforms to the above, I can see no instruction that it must be part of the original plate. (but on your head be it ;-) )

Tony Jones - 2011-02-26 9:41 PM

How much is a numberplate with a GB sign? And how much is a motorhome?

And people call ME mean for using Aires!!

I was just going to ask the same question-a number plate is about £10-why take any risks with legality?

Mike

Tony, MIke - I see where your coming from but - looked today and saw that the numberplate is stuck on not screwed. Last year our old van nearly lost its plate as the sticky came loose in the heat abroad and we have had a lot of problems with St(icky pads. If you can give me advice how to remove the current number plate which has been stuck on and what adhesive to use for the news one then I would prefer go go that route

chris - 2011-02-26 10:18 PM

Tony, MIke - I see where your coming from but - looked today and saw that the numberplate is stuck on not screwed. Last year our old van nearly lost its plate as the sticky came loose in the heat abroad and we have had a lot of problems with St(icky pads. If you can give me advice how to remove the current number plate which has been stuck on and what adhesive to use for the news one then I would prefer go go that route

Chris Hi

To remove it-warm it up with a hairdryer and pull-it will come off. You can help it along with a plastic fish slice.

To fix it on I used some green backed (Peel off) double sided number plate tape which the local accessory shop sold as standard and they've never moved

The alternative is just stick the new number plate over the old one as it will be same size. If it is in the bumper recess like mine no-one will ever see it

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi,

You can get a FREE GB sticker from your ferry operator, don't know about the tunnel. That is assuming that you arrive in sufficient time, can find somebody at their counter, and they have some in stock.

Why is the cross of St David not accepted as the flag of Wales (Black with yellow cross). I can draw a Union flag, St Georges flag, St Anderws flag, etc, by dragging a stick in the dust. Be blowed if I can daw a recognisable dragon. :-S

602 - 2011-02-27 7:26 AM

Hi,

You can get a FREE GB sticker from your ferry operator, don't know about the tunnel. That is assuming that you arrive in sufficient time, can find somebody at their counter, and they have some in stock.

Why is the cross of St David not accepted as the flag of Wales (Black with yellow cross). I can draw a Union flag, St Georges flag, St Anderws flag, etc, by dragging a stick in the dust. Be blowed if I can daw a recognisable dragon. :-S

If you can't draw a dragon PM me and I'll send you a photo of the Mrs and her Mother-you can then take your pick and trace round it

Tony, perhaps, with respect, it hasn't occured to you that some folk, of which I am one, do not want an extra permanent indication of origin. The number plate design, i.e. SF60 OPQ is quite enough in my view, hence our removable GB.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2011-02-27 1:06 PM

Tony, perhaps, with respect, it hasn't occured to you that some folk, of which I am one, do not want an extra permanent indication of origin. The number plate design, i.e. SF60 OPQ is quite enough in my view, hence our removable GB.

Martyn

Whilst not intending to sound too pedantic, I think you'll find your GB sticker on A5 in the back window is not technically legal as the sign is smaller than A5 and officially has to be within a certain distance of the number plate to conform to European law (Not sure of size or distance)

Mike

Mike B. - 2011-02-27 2:11 PM

LordThornber - 2011-02-27 1:06 PM

Martyn

Whilst not intending to sound too pedantic, I think you'll find your GB sticker on A5 in the back window is not technically legal as the sign is smaller than A5 and officially has to be within a certain distance of the number plate to conform to European law (Not sure of size or distance)

Mike

I tend to agree with Mike. A 'Euro' number plate is relatively inexpensive and as for not advertising your country of origin - your uk style of plate tells all!

Tim

Hi Mike/Tim. Legal matter, frankly I'm not bothered about it. I don't lose sleep about it as we've utilised it for longer than I care to remember. If folk pay attention to that, that's their choiuce.

As for advertising being British, if you read my post again you'll see that I advocate not advertising further the fact that I'm British. Not hiding it further.

Martyn

our motorhome 4250 kilos mam just returned from Portugal when travelling through france enquired about 90 80 60 signs told only required if towing a trailer or commercial use though have seen some on large 5 ton plus ones, but the lower speed limits do apply to motorhomes over 3500 kilos

weldted - 2011-03-03 5:01 PM

our motorhome 4250 kilos mam just returned from Portugal when travelling through france enquired about 90 80 60 signs told only required if towing a trailer or commercial use though have seen some on large 5 ton plus ones, but the lower speed limits do apply to motorhomes over 3500 kilos

Is this from an authoritative source?

Archived