Advice re upsize

Suda

Just upsized from 6m to 7.23m van and am feeling a little short of confidence as new season begins.Any advice re driving and parking a longer vehicle? We are off to France and Italy later in the year but thought a trip to Scotland might be useful as a longer stint in UK as well as shows and weekends away.

Hi Suda,

I'll bet, after an hour or two of driving, you will be totally comfortable with the additional 1.23 metres, it's only another four foot in old money! Just remember to pay attention to the back end when turning tightly or pulling away from a kerb too sharply, don't want to catch that vunerable rear panel on a post, wall or tree, etc.

When parking in a 'pay and display' carpark we always buy two tickets as our wheels (tag axle) usually straddle two bays.

Enjoy your extra room, you'll love it, we do!

Dave

Hi. I agree with euomotorhometours. We changed from a coachbiuld to a longer A class, the extra length was no problem, the concern I had at first, was the extra width of the A class cab, and then the mirrors sticking out another 10" each side. 8-) soon get used to it though.

Brian B.

Just remember as your wheelbase is likely to be longer, to:

- Allow for more 'swing' when you go round corners, pull out/into side roads etc, as your van's rear will swing out and either clunk any cars going past on the inside or hit obstacles.

- On a left hand turn especially make sure you don't turn too early as you'll end up going up the curb.

- You'll also need to be aware of any possible grounding situations, such as ferry ramps, the bottom of steep roads etc.

- When in a car park you'll have to bear in mind that you'll need more space to 'escape' from a parking spot due to the extra length, so make sure you park where you can drive straight out without having to make tight turns, once you get cars alongside you'll be 'trapped' if you're not careful.

I upsized last year from 7.5m to 8.7m (Tag Axle). Did a number of weekend trips and then 4 weeks touring Scotland all the way up to Dunnet Bay on their local roads. No problems, you don't notice the extra length when driving but need a bit of practice reversing onto pitches. Once you get familiar with the turning circle of your van you will wonder why you fretted in the first place. One of my major concerns was limitation of campsites and although that has affected us a little, certainly not to the extent we imagined.

My advice won't apply to all vans, but our 7.57 metre van is on a Mercedes chassis, and whilst we love the van, the overhang is awe inspiring, and is the only real problem we encounter. We have a fairly robust chassis extension/tow bar/bumper bar fitted, and it has saved us panel damage on more than one occasion, but it has also seen us stuck with the towbar grounded and the rear wheels no longer in contact with the ground. It is the one aspect of driving the van that has me continually being very vigilant.

AGD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Archiesgrandad - 2011-03-06 8:53 PM

My advice won't apply to all vans, but our 7.57 metre van is on a Mercedes chassis, and whilst we love the van, the overhang is awe inspiring, and is the only real problem we encounter. We have a fairly robust chassis extension/tow bar/bumper bar fitted, and it has saved us panel damage on more than one occasion, but it has also seen us stuck with the towbar grounded and the rear wheels no longer in contact with the ground. It is the one aspect of driving the van that has me continually being very vigilant.

AGD

The latest Movera (Hymer ) catalogue sells castors (rammschutzrollen €330) for the back end for you guys with negligable ground clearance. Glad I dont have that problem B-)

Archived