automatic transmission

beetle41

:-D hello , this is my first post so let me know if there is a better way of finding my answer .i am 69 and have a rimini autosleeper 1993 reno trafic . is it possible to have automatic transmission fitted? am finding it hard to change gear .is there a way of making gear stick easier to engage like lubricating somewhere . i have the chance of power steering put in out of another van . would this be a good idea ? my next option would be to change it for something easier . any help appreciated .thanks beetle41 .

beetle41 - 2011-02-27 11:50 AM

:-D hello , this is my first post so let me know if there is a better way of finding my answer .i am 69 and have a rimini autosleeper 1993 reno trafic . is it possible to have automatic transmission fitted? am finding it hard to change gear .is there a way of making gear stick easier to engage like lubricating somewhere . i have the chance of power steering put in out of another van . would this be a good idea ? my next option would be to change it for something easier . any help appreciated .thanks beetle41 .

Hi Beetle41,

Welcome to the forum.

First thing to do to help replying to your question is how much do you want to spend? Years ago we owned a Winnebago le’Sharo which is based on the Renault Traffic chassis and fitted, in petrol form, with automatic gearbox so maybe you could find an old Winni and get your engineer to do a transplant; there are a surprising number of these laying about. You would need lots of other bits which would be almost impossible to obtain and swapping from one vehicle to another would be by far the cheapest route. The radiator would have to be changed as the auto needs a cooler. The pedal box would have to be changed. The gearbox on these Renaults has electronic control so you would need some of the wiring loom as well. Other than that the complete engine and transmission unit, plus ancillaries, from a suitable Renault car, maybe a 21 or 25, would give the right bits but you might need to do some bracket fabrication. I believe that adding an auto box to your engine would be difficult do to the different fittings for the flywheel. Loads of money!

As a first step I would get your engineer to check over all the linkages, including the clutch clearance, to make sure everything is as it should be. It is amazing how many times I have read where people have a carpet mat under their pedals and so the clutch is dragging so making gear changing effort far higher.

I hope this helps give some idea of the tasks involved.

Regards,

Hi,

You could cosider auto clutch, sometimes know as click and go.

Cost is around £1000 and can be removed a refittted to another vehicle if you change vans.

You still have to change gear manually, but you don't use the clutch pedal, it will creep in heavy traffic just like an auto, it does take a bit of getting used to at first but becoes second nature after a while, also, just flick a switch to turn it off, for when the van goes into the garage or someone else drives, been using it for six years now and are happy with it.

Pete

Hi Beetle 41 & welcome to the forum.

Considering the age of your M/H & that an Autobox would more than likely have to be sourced from a Breakers Yard, consider what it's condition would be like - an unknown quality. :-S

Breakaleg's suggestion is very valid IMHO - an Auto Clutch would be the most sensible option, especially as you would be able to remove & transfer to a replacement M/H in the future(if necessary)

A few links for you to browse (or Google Auto-Clutch):-

http://www.carfi.co.uk/html/autoclutch.html

http://www.lionvehiclesystems.co.uk/leisure/autoclutch.php

http://www.alfredbekker.co.uk/alfred-bekker-products/hand-controls-driving-aids/auto-clutch

It may also be possible to contact Mobility Vehicle adaptors, as many are removed at the end of their 3 year contracts.

Good luck

It would be considerably less expensive and potentially more reliable to trade in your old van and buy one with power steering and an auto gearbox. Leave major mechanical surgery to the engineering fanatics who like to get oilly. That is unless you are one!

C.

Yes I would go along with what Clive Sez, change the van for an automatic. One on a Transit rear wheel drive with a torqueconverter type box is very good. Torque converter type is better than an elctrically operated type, smoother take-off on wet ground so better traction.

• 1 month later...

:-D thanks to all of you who posted a reply to my query on automatic tansmission . not been able to come back on post till now . will look into the auto clutch/click and go . have been on the lookout for another van with auto so this may eventually be my route as it will solve most needs . good feedback !

beetle .

Archived