headlamp converters.

athiest

Hi all, I seem to have read a post on this subject but am unable to find it now. I intend to visit France soon in my 08 Peugeot Boxer MH. I will need to convert the headlights to lefthand. A site on Ebay is advertising beam converters for £50 for my van and it seems a major job to fit them. Any help in this matter please? "A"

Atheist

The £50 ebay-marketed product you are referring to is actually a pair of clear plastic headlight PROTECTORS on to which 'masks' or 'beam deflectors' can be stuck.

What Alan is referring to is the stick-on 'beam deflectors' themselves. As he says, these are readily available at UK ports, on ferries, etc. and probably at most UK motor accessories shops. If you want to buy them via e-bay, GOOGLE-search using "ebay headlight beam converters" (about £5 seems to be the going-rate).

This may be the earlier headlight-protector-related forum thread you had in mind (though there are lots of others on the subject):

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20549&posts=15

mirage - 2011-02-28 9:14 PM

I have never ever been flashed in any of the major tunnels by on-coming traffic in my Peugeot X250 on dipped headlights and thats one place you would be flashed. I do carry a set of converters.

Presumably you mean that you have "never ever been flashed in any of the major 'FOREIGN" tunnels by on-coming traffic" even though the dipped headlight beams of your Peugeot are still pointing left (ie. as UK lighting regulations demand).

There are two worthwhile reasons for fitting dipped-beam converters while driving on the Continent. The first is that adapting the beam-pattern to a right-dipping configuration is bound to make life easier for approaching traffic even if your original UK left-dipping pattern doesn't actually infuriate on-coming drivers.

The second reason is that, with your UK registration and RHD, you are a sitting target for Continental police feeling in a regulatory mood. No masks or beam-converters on the headlights mean that (unless you can convince the police that your unmasked/unconverted lights dip right), you are up for an on-the-spot fine.

I suppose that carrying a set of converters and playing the "Oh deary me, officer, I forget to put these on" card might just work, but so could carrying a lucky rabbit's foot.

It's almost certain that, with a dashboard-mounted headlamp-beam adjustment control, it will be possible to depress the dipped-beam angle so far downwards that the chance of dazzling on-coming traffic will be nil (seeing where you're going with such a lowered beam will be another mattter) but "So what?" If your unmasked/unconverted lights still left-dip, you'll be asking for potential trouble Continental-policeman-wise.

(And, yes, I know that UK traffic policemen don't care about 'foreigners'' lights, that Spanish traffic police apparently don't care about anything, and that "Ive been driving millions of kilometres on the Continent for over 40 years with UK-standard left-dipping headlamps and I've never once been stopped or fined", but (once again) "So what?")

There is no French law or any other that can insist on a bit of stickey to make your headlights legal as they are already E approved. Lorries have double lifted beams so they can see signs on both sides of the road.

You do have an obligation not to dazzle other road users here and on the Continent.

Put converters on your vehicle the next time you see a continental car or lorry with them fitted.

Its just another rip-off for the Brits.

Hi all again, my question seems to have opened a can of worms. I must admit that I was thinking more of not getting fleeced by the French Police than causing concern to local population as we do not intend to be on the road at all after dark as our itinerary is already laid out. Thanks for the input I still intend to fit them if I can get them and it seems that a cheaper stick on mask is preferable to the covers. "A"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi athiest, just to point out you say you do not intend to drive at night, but you may need dipped headlights during the day dependant on the weather. In inclement weather some countries insist on dipped lights in poor visibility, so you could still conceiveably get stopped! We are going to Portugal soon and I will fit 'beam benders' before we get off the Ferry, but it's personal preference and if you are willing to take the chance. Just paid £7.99 at a local motorist discount shop for a set of beam benders.

Have a great trip, regards

barbarian

The advantages of sticking the beam-benders onto plastic protectors are twofold.

Firstly, there have been numerous reports of the adhesive used on the BBs causing crazing of the surface of some headlights.

Secondly, once you've stuck them on a pair of protectors, you can keep them forever and keep re-using them - without having to measure the positions every time (just as we older folk used to do with those big yellow they used to sell, back in the day whewn all headlights were round and the same size!

If you think either or both of those benefits makes it worth the extra money, you'll get the protectors. If not, you'll just buy a new set of sticky BBs each time you cross over.

Personally, I decided when I bought this van that it made sense to get the protectors and make up a permanent pair of "converters" with them - but for you, it might not.

Look at your expected pattern of travel, and make the choice that works for you.

PS (in edit) - I'm not usually one of the pedantic ones on here, but shouldn't it be spelt "Atheist?" Not that I'm an expert of course!

Hi all again, Tony & Barbarian, thanks for the input, "athiest" is probably spelt wrong but that is my "online gaming handle" as has been used for the last three years so must stay. The plastic covers are the best way if we do intend to visit our European friends often, but for our first time I think that stick ons will do. Thanks again "A"

Looking at this from another point of view, lense protectors are a very good idea. These headlights do not come cheap and a cracked lense from a flying stone is the last thing you want. So buy some lense protectors and as a bonus you have the beam masks you can fit to them.

To clear up another point which comes up regularly, The adhesive in itself does not cause any crazing to the plastic lenses, it is the extra heat absorbed in the lense material as the deflectors insulate the surface or indeed absorb more of the heat from the bulb themselves heating the surface. So it is not the adhesive or the solvents in the adhesive.

Jon.

Archived