Lake district enquirey

Mickydripin

Hi I am thinking of going up the Lakes for a week to try out my new van I am going to the quite site near ullswater can anyone tell Me what it is like and if there is any parking for a 7m van or bus services around the Bowness, ambleside,Grange over sands,or Kendal and any other nice places to visit so I am not stuck on site all the time I know there are plenty of walks but I am still a bit slow at the moment due to having two operations in three months any info will help thanks.

Mike.

Most bus services in the area are operated by Stagecoach Northwest . You can get a full timetable at any Lakes Tourist Office. If you are over 60 and have a bus pass you can use it after 0930. We have stayed at Keswick CCC site, never moved the van for a week and found the bus service excellent.

I can recommend Miller Field Motorhome Camping, 5 Rothay Rd, Ambleside, Cumbria. LA22 0EE . Phone 07708 310986. The site is two minutes from the town centre. If you are a member of the Motorcaravanners Club you will get a discount. You will be on hard standing and the scenery is stunning. You MUST book over the phone as it is so popular.

If you want a day at Kendal I would suggest that you use the designated coach/motorhome parking at "Kays outlet shopping centre" you can walk into town once you have had a look around the centre, the parking for kays is just passed it located at the leasure centre.

For keswick there is ample parking for MH at the car park near the "theatre by the lake"

Bowness is not as bad as you think if you know were to go. Parking available up to 2hrs on Glebe road, or you may be ok if you find a corner spot on the car park off "Rayrigg rd" (2min walk into town) we have parked our 6m van there with no probs.

Windermere is easy, you can park at "lakeland" shop for free ask the attendant 1st he is very accommodating (only if your shopping there of course) otherwise park on Booths car park just round the corner (only if your shopping there of course)

Well thats the main areas to get you going lots more info if you need it.

Incidentally I have frequented the lakes for 40yrs and had boats there for many years so we know all the best places and the best restaurants etc. :-D

ips - 2011-03-01 2:56 PM

Windermere is easy, you can park at "lakeland" shop for free ask the attendant 1st he is very accommodating (only if your shopping there of course) otherwise park on Booths car park just round the corner (only if your shopping there of course)

We're great fans of Lakeland Plastics, but I'd not describe the parking attendant there as accommodating - unless he's changed or had a brain transplant in the last few months! Booths are far more accommodating - best to use the larger spaces up by the end of the car park, mainly staff parking up there. But be aware there is a CCTV camera on the way in, and (I think) notices about charges for parking beyond a specified duration. (It's a brilliant shop, too.)

Also, in Keswick, on the Lake Rd car park, make sure you don't go over the marking lines - the parking attendants have booked people for doing so.

The new Kay's Shopping Center is now quite expensive for parking and with a 7mt motor home you may need two spaces. I suggest the Morrison's car park (no time limit as there are several large shops) on the A685 on the way in from junction 38 of the M6, there are frequent buses into town or the walk only takes a few minutes more than from Kay's.

Kays emailed us last week (long story) and informed us that there is designated motorhome / coach parking at the leasure centre just around the corner. You have got no chance of getting a 7m MH into there car park I can assure you of that.

I dont know, you try and assist someone asking for reccomendations and all you get is folk telling you your wrong :-S

With regards to parking on carparks and or going over white lines etc. I find that if you approach the attendant (if indeed there is one) and ask politely if you are ok for a few hours in the spot you have parked usually they will be very accomodating.

Best to park in a corner with no cars behind you so you can if possible stick your rear end over the grass etc, Asking 1st and being polite even works with traffic wardens I have found, I have even had a traffic warden tell me that he would radio his colleagues so no one will bother me, on the understanding that I was only as long as I told him I would be.

Good sized car park in Ambleside, don't know what they charge though. Spaces at the back have grass verges for overhang. If you park at Booth's car park it is in fact a council car park (or it was last November), Booth's will refund your parking fees when you pay for your shopping (or they did last November) although there may be a limit on the amount they will refund eg if you park there all day and buy only a loaf of bread! Very good shop selling lots of local produce too.

ike

ips - 2011-03-01 3:45 PM

With regards to parking on carparks and or going over white lines etc. I find that if you approach the attendant (if indeed there is one) and ask politely if you are ok for a few hours in the spot you have parked usually they will be very accomodating.

Best to park in a corner with no cars behind you so you can if possible stick your rear end over the grass etc, Asking 1st and being polite even works with traffic wardens I have found, I have even had a traffic warden tell me that he would radio his colleagues so no one will bother me, on the understanding that I was only as long as I told him I would be.

I agree entirely - but the problem at Lake Road is that I'm pretty sure they are frequent vistors rather than based there. There are certainly some spaces where you can overhang the grass, but often there there is little or no choice (in season, anyway.)

I'm glad the Lakeland guy was helpful for you - maybe he was "compulsorily reeducated" after we spoke earlier last year to staff in the shop about his aggressiveness! (We were not there in the van that time.)

Archived