Fiat wing mirror

johnsue

Hi all

Thanks for your contributions. Just to let you know we took the van in to Wessex Garage( Fiat dealership) today & showed them our Swift handbook / warranty details, giving cover for the 3rd year. They are now going to contact Swift for approval, they did say the mirror needs replacing & as mentioned above that they would have to remove the mirror to find the serial number.( one of four )

They won't do anything until Swift have authorised so we now wait & see .

We use Wessex as they are our nearest Fiat dealership but get the opinion they don't do alot of Motor Homes so once out of warranty we will probably look at BT as per advice on other threads on this forum.

Just as a matter of interest what did come to light, Wessex, on their system, had our van as registereed Feb 2008 & hence according to them were out of all warranty & had no MOT. We had to take in our V5 which clearly stated registration November 2008 , which is when we took delivery from Marquis Tewkesbury. They had to take photo copy & they will be in touch with Fiat to have the records put right. Hopefully we won't have any problems with this ..... again we wait & see. *-)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
john&sue - 2011-03-02 6:00 PM

Hi all

Thanks for your contributions. Just to let you know we took the van in to Wessex Garage( Fiat dealership) today & showed them our Swift handbook / warranty details, giving cover for the 3rd year. They are now going to contact Swift for approval, they did say the mirror needs replacing & as mentioned above that they would have to remove the mirror to find the serial number.( one of four )

They won't do anything until Swift have authorised so we now wait & see .

We use Wessex as they are our nearest Fiat dealership but get the opinion they don't do alot of Motor Homes so once out of warranty we will probably look at BT as per advice on other threads on this forum.

Just as a matter of interest what did come to light, Wessex, on their system, had our van as registereed Feb 2008 & hence according to them were out of all warranty & had no MOT. We had to take in our V5 which clearly stated registration November 2008 , which is when we took delivery from Marquis Tewkesbury. They had to take photo copy & they will be in touch with Fiat to have the records put right. Hopefully we won't have any problems with this ..... again we wait & see. *-)

had exactly the same issue with mine. When I had some warranty work done they went on to the FIAT system and my records were there but the date was earlier than the date I collectedmy new vehicle. This was because FIAT input the date that they supply the base vehicle to the Converter. However, as with yourself, when you produce the vehicle registration document they change the date to reflect the date of first registration.

Guest peter
euroserv - 2011-03-02 12:09 PM

OK.

I have started to dismantle a damaged mirror and have run out of time. I am by no means saying that repairs are impossible on x250 mirrors, but it will be very difficult and probably end in damaged covers anyway. These are definitely not designed for DIY repairs! I do not believe that you can successfully 'adjust' the tension in the arm.

I do not know yet of anybody selling the longer arm versions of the mirrors, but will keep looking for you.

Nick

Believe me Nick, I've done it, on both arms. You have to be carefull though.

euroserv - 2011-03-02 12:09 PM

OK.

Of the two suggestions listed above, wingmirrorman does not have X250 mirrors, but Allparts southwest do.

Nick

Only out of interest here, but wingmirrorman DOES list X250 mirrors see

http://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/peugeotboxerwingmirror2006on.html

and are the ones at the bottom of the page not 'Long Arm' mirrors as stated i.e. is there a longer one?

Bas

One of my X250 mirrors has become very stiff to fold and when I try to squirt oil into the hinge all I get is rust running out!

I reckon I need to at least remove the arm covers to see what is going on, but where to start? I've tried gentle prising in a few places to no avail, so is there a recommended technique or a best place to start?

Maybe I need to prise harder, but I'm reluctant without any knowledge of how it's put together!

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2011-03-01 11:34 AM
Peter James - 2011-03-01 8:33 AM Sorry not trying to make fun of Dyslexia, more of a tit for tat for another post http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22723&posts=29#M251082 

How to say this without going all preachy?  There are a number of strings recently that have started with perfectly reasonably questions, from perfectly reasonable people, that have subsequently been totally sabotaged by this kind of egocentric selfishness. 

The ensuing exchanges between Tweedledum and Tweedledee completely destroy any chance for the OP to get answers to their question, while shedding no useful light on anything else either.  It is grossly inconsiderate.

A bit of banter, and the odd OT excursion, are all part of forum life, and I can't say overly bother me, though I know they do some.  However, these particular posts have been opinionated, poorly researched, badly informed, and completely destructive in effect. 

I now understand far better why some schools just exclude disruptive kids!  :-)  Can we have a truce please, and just a bit of attention to the subject in hand, as set by the OP?  If not, this forum is going to degenerate into worthless slanging matches at every opportunity, whereon we shall all lose.  You know who you are!

You quoted my post but I haven't a clue what you are talking about after that.

Peter James - 2011-03-05 11:08 PM
Peter James - 2011-03-01 8:33 AM Sorry not trying to make fun of Dyslexia, more of a tit for tat for another post http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22723&posts=29#M251082 

Because, I had a feeling you may have been about to import a pointless, destructive, point scoring, and ultimately rather fruitless, argument into yet another string.  Tit for tat?  See http://tinyurl.com/63zn4p5

You did rather sabotage the sense of the OP's linked Dethleffs string, by arguing on about wheels.  I'm afraid it was the frustration I felt from wading through all that which prompted my reaction.  However, if I was wrong, I apologise.

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2011-03-06 1:08 PM

Because, I had a feeling you may have been about to import a pointless, destructive, point scoring, and ultimately rather fruitless, argument into yet another string.  Tit for tat?  See http://tinyurl.com/63zn4p5

You did rather sabotage the sense of the OP's linked Dethleffs string, by arguing on about wheels.  I'm afraid it was the frustration I felt from wading through all that which prompted my reaction.  However, if I was wrong, I apologise.

When I post something thats wrong I hope someone will point it out. Thats why I have tried to do the same.

Hi, I've just had a rogue tree branch smash the transparent plastic cover of my nearside wing mirror indicator on my 2008 Fiat Ducato. Is it possible to get a replacement for this or am I going to have to fork out nearly £200 for a complete unit just to replace a piece of plastic?

I saw somewhere on another forum that the indicator in the door mirror is the same part as used as either a rear indicator or side repeater on some Fiat cars could be a Fiat 500 I'm not sure. Go to a Fiat car dealer and have a look around the showroom.

Guest peter
Nicegrover53 - 2011-03-06 6:07 PM

Hi, I've just had a rogue tree branch smash the transparent plastic cover of my nearside wing mirror indicator on my 2008 Fiat Ducato. Is it possible to get a replacement for this or am I going to have to fork out nearly £200 for a complete unit just to replace a piece of plastic?

Perhaps some who has recently replaced one will donate their old case to you, so you can re-build yours. Worth asking.

Nicegrover53 - 2011-03-06 6:07 PM

Hi, yes you can get the indicator lenses.

I think the part numbers are 71748253 for offside and 71748252 for nearside and are about £10. Best check the part numbers with Fiat dealer or you could go to a Peugeot or Citroen dealer......but they are available.

Jon

mirror250.JPG.dafc5dc314aa035e70d2def162a3f138.JPG

Thanks for the replys.

I've found a replacement for my repeater lens for £18 on Ebay. Haven't been down to the dealers yet but suspect they will want more. I think I'll investigate getting a second hand one from a breakers as it stills sounds a lot of money for a bit of plastic. But at least it's not a replacement wing mirror unit!

Big Momma - 2011-03-01 10:28 PM

rupert123 - 2011-02-28 10:43 PM

john&sue - 2011-02-28 6:27 PM

Hi

We have just returned to Gloucester from a trip to Plymouth. Both ways down the M5 the offside (drivers ) side wing mirror repeatedly folded in travelling at speed of 65- 70 mph. I had to open the window & push the mirror back out when wishing to overtake. Obviously this is unsafe.

When we got back to Gloucester we called in at the local Fiat garage/ dealer ( our Swift Bolero is registered 2008 ) therefore the Fiat warranty is only 2 yrs, they are going to get in touch with Swift, if they then agree it will come under a 3 yr warranty on the cab side of things.

Has anybody else had this type of problem?

We have booked it in with the Fiat dealer for them to investigate the actual problem. ( there isn't a problem with the nearside mirror ) *-)

Never heard of this happening but it will not be covered by warranty. The Fiat third year mechanical warranty for motorhomes only covers engine, gearbox, driveline and electronic control units.

It certainly is covered. Exact same thing happened to me. Both wing mirrors folding in on themselves when driving (not even at speed). Took it to Bristol Street Motors in Swindon, FIAT approved dealer (Not the dealer where I bought it as they were too far away) who told me that there was a fault and they obtained replacements within 24 hours and then did the necessary, not had a problem with them since :D My Motorhome is an Autorail Comanche.

Wessex Garage have been informed by Swift that the 3rd year warranty does not cover faulty wing mirrors. In fairness to Wessex they have now gone back to Fiat & although the motor home from new is now only 4 months out of their 2 year warranty it has only covered 6500 miles & Wessex are asking Fiat to show some customer goodwill.

Wessex have informed us that the cost of the mirror is £235 plus of course fitting & have no trouble in sourcing one, could be fixed next week.

Hopefully Fiat will play ball.

Big Momma, was your motor home still in warranty with Fiat or the coach builder? *-)

• 3 weeks later...

How to say this without going all preachy?  There are a number of strings recently that have started with perfectly reasonably questions, from perfectly reasonable people, that have subsequently been totally sabotaged by this kind of egocentric selfishness. 

The ensuing exchanges between Tweedledum and Tweedledee completely destroy any chance for the OP to get answers to their question, while shedding no useful light on anything else either.  It is grossly inconsiderate.

A bit of banter, and the odd OT excursion, are all part of forum life, and I can't say overly bother me, though I know they do some.However, these particular posts have been opinionated, poorly researched, badly informed, and completely destructive in effect. 

I now understand far better why some schools just exclude disruptive kids!  :-)  Can we have a truce please, and just a bit of attention to the subject in hand, as set by the OP?  If not, this forum is going to degenerate into worthless slanging matches at every opportunity, whereon we shall all lose.  You know who you are!

Thank you for sharing.Thank you very much.

Hi All

Just to let you know the out come.... to recap...

The wing mirror on our Swift Bolero which we bought new, registered Nov 2008 , was faulty, Fiat 2yr warranty was up, 3yr guarranty from Swift did not cover wing mirrors. In the Swift habitation booklet read 'mirrors not covered' surprise surprise !! we thought this referred to interior but no included wing mirrors. Wessex, the Fiat garage, in fairness, got on to Fiat customer service & in the end Fiat agreed, as motorhome had only done 6500 mls, to replace wing miror under customer goodwill FOC ( they never admitted that there was a known fault re mirrors folding in from airflow) & Wessex only charged us £53 for labour, which was their cost price rather than retail. In the end we agreed to to get the motor home back to full service.

Just as a matter of interest, we have viewed the recent thread on mirror guard even though ours wasn't damaged by accident etc , we are going to the Peterboro' show & if Mirror guard are showing will have a closer look.

Hope this conclusion will be useful to anybody else who has had infolding wing mirrors. :-)

• 1 month later...
Having had the drivers side wing mirror collide withan another vehicles wing mirror,i took the advice from this forum and contacted Wing Mirror Man.They explained that they were temporary out of stock and should ring back in two weeks.I duly rang back and they had received a shipment of 79 and had 11 mirrors left,i duly ordered one.You may wonder what is the point of this post? well here goes.Firstly these mirrors are selling quite quickly,and the reason i believe is because of the extent that they protrude from the side of our 2010 Autotrail B class van.Our vans measured total width is 2.3 Metres,the total width with both mirrors is 2.9 Metres.Each mirror protrudes 30 cm each side.The mirrors on our previous motorhomes could be adjusted in such a way as to eliminate the extra width,yet still provide a safe viewing angle to the rear.This is not possible with the fixed fiat mirrors.The next time anyone gets the chance,stand at the rear of any new sevel b class motorhome and look along the side.These vans are seriously wide.IE,this referes to the extended arm mirrors currently in production.

If anyone is interested I have a pair of long-arm X250 mirrors for sale - heated and electrically adjustable but without the inbuilt radio aerial in the nearside. One as new and the other has visible scuffing (but not actually scratched). They are from a 2008 Autotrail Tracker and are designated as being for a 2.35m wide conversion. Send a PM for more info.

Archived