French Speed Cameras

flicka

Syd - 2011-02-28 10:54 PM

Thanks Flicka

Going near the end of March and returning in June, I usually get caught going out and coming home always around Claremont Ferrand but so far no tickets yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed now

Have you not got a SatNav with camera warnings on? We subscribe to www.pocketgpsworld.com for our camera alerts, they send an update link every week, much better than the TomTom alerts.

lennyhb - 2011-03-02 10:01 AM

Why not be law abiding and keep to the speed limits?

My OH usually drives between 55/58 MPH except through villages when the speed limit is lower, but a couple years ago he got a speeding ticket from Alencon and we don't know why. The only thing that we can think of is that there were roadworks but this would be unusual. The reason we have camera alerts is just as a reminder and hopefully the above will not happen again.

It is illegal to carry a speed camera detecting device in any vehicle in France. I also understand this includes Sat navs set to detect or show speed camera locations and Such a device is not allowed in France. Getting caught having such a device in your vehicle means a 1500 euros fine, device impounded (with the car if fixed to it).

the fine is on the spot,But there is nothing to stop you setting your sat nav to warn you when over the speed limit. But ensure that any camera setting is turned off.

ham - 2011-03-02 12:40 PM

It is illegal to carry a speed camera detecting device in any vehicle in France. I also understand this includes Sat navs set to detect or show speed camera locations and Such a device is not allowed in France. Getting caught having such a device in your vehicle means a 1500 euros fine, device impounded (with the car if fixed to it).

the fine is on the spot,But there is nothing to stop you setting your sat nav to warn you when over the speed limit. But ensure that any camera setting is turned off.

The cameras in the TomTom are not SPEED cameras but SAFETY cameras and are therefore legal. They are also printed on the maps of France.

When approaching towns and villages you will notice the names in black on a white background these are equivalent to our 30mph signs so you need to reduce your speed accordingly or you can expect to be flashed by a covert speed camera. So remember BLACK and WHITE.

Randonneur - 2011-03-02 12:50 PM

ham - 2011-03-02 12:40 PM

The cameras in the TomTom are not SPEED cameras but SAFETY cameras and are therefore legal. They are also printed on the maps of France.

The French police officer that stopped me in a road side check last year did not accept that my TOM TOM sat nav showing camera sites was legal. After a verbal warning and advice to change the settings. i was sent on my way.After a disscusion on Rugby once he found out i was Pay de galle Welsh. So following his advise i will only have my sat nav set to speed wa rnings and it will be on the dashboard not the window screen Le policier français qui m'a arrêté dans un contrôle de côté de route n'a pas accepté l'an dernier que mon TOM TOM est assis les sites d'appareil photo de démonstration de nav étaient légaux. Après qu'un avertissement et un conseil verbaux pour changer les paramètres que j'ai été envoyé sur mon façon.après qu'un disscusion sur Rugby une fois il a découvert j'étais Salaire de galle Gallois. Si suivre le sien conseille j'aura seulement ma série de nav assise pour expédier wa rnings et ce sera sur le tableau de bord pas l'écran de fenêtre. so you see there was no difficulty in understanding the officer.

Archived