Cab security bar

G and D

http://www.fiammastore.com/Security/Fiamma-Duo-Safe-Pro-Security-Bar

Anyone used one of these bars. It is a lot cheaper than HEO Safe cab door locks. Not sure if the motorhome has cab dead locks already. Something we need to ask the dealer.

We can't use the strap around the door handles as it doesn't have those sort of door handles. And a strap could be cut with a blunt stanley knife anyway. A chain might be better but to get one that is bolt cropper proof would add an awful lot of weight and this isn't an option for us anyway due to the lack of door handles.

My theory is that if thieves have to climb through a window there is more chance of them leaving DNA behind than if they just have to open a door.

So I wondered if this bar was any good for keeping the doors tied together. Not sure how hacksaw proof it is and whether one good blow with a hammer from under it, once the window was broken, would just knock it up out of the door frame.

We will probably get HEO safe locks put on the habitation and garage doors and if there are no deadlocks already on the cab doors we will get them fitted on those doors too.

Another thread mentioned an alarm that barks like a dog when activated. I have never seen one of those but I thought if it was coupled with a "Beware of the Rottweiller" sign it maybe a night time intruder deterrent. Anyone know where to get a dog alarm? We don't actually have the Rottweiller obviously and don't want one.

Thanks

Don't get paranoid about security. Just don't leave valuables and stuff just waiting to be stolen on view or even in the van. It might cost more to pay for the damage of getting in than whats actually stolen, and that, you can do absolutely nothing about. Just use common sense in parking etc, as you would if you had a 50K car.

Ranger - 2011-02-28 10:28 PM

A pal of mine had an alarm that barked like a dog, it sounded just like an alarm making a sound some what like a dog. The man who bought the 'van off him had it stolen ALARM AND ALL.

Will forget that idea. Will just have to resort to getting him to growl like a Rottweiller at night. Wouldn't sound a lot different to the snoring.

peter - 2011-02-28 10:07 PM

Don't get paranoid about security. Just don't leave valuables and stuff just waiting to be stolen on view or even in the van. It might cost more to pay for the damage of getting in than whats actually stolen, and that, you can do absolutely nothing about. Just use common sense in parking etc, as you would if you had a 50K car.

What he said.

Just don't leave expensive stuff in your MH.......or have a secret stash place for it.

Don't worry. Be happy.

G and D - 2011-02-28 9:56 PM http://www.fiammastore.com/Security/Fiamma-Duo-Safe-Pro-Security-Bar Anyone used one of these bars. It is a lot cheaper than HEO Safe cab door locks. Not sure if the motorhome has cab dead locks already. ..............

If the van has deadlocks, rely on them.  If it doesn't, fit Heosafe or similar.  Cab door windows are toughened, not laminated.  One crack with a pointed object on the glass and it shatters, then lift off bar, release lock from inside, and open door.  There, how long did that take?  Less time then it took me to type it!

Guest pelmetman

I have two luggage straps which we put through the door handles, its not obvious from outside so hopefully by the time they attempt to open the door we will be awake................with a can of spray glue in my hand, I doubt anyone would appreciate a squirt of that in the kisser >:-)

Oh I forgot 99p each = £1.98 for the straps, glue is a business expense :D

pelmetman - 2011-03-01 8:55 AM

I have two luggage straps which we put through the door handles, its not obvious from outside so hopefully by the time they attempt to open the door we will be awake................with a can of spray glue in my hand, I doubt anyone would appreciate a squirt of that in the kisser >:-)

Oh I forgot 99p each = £1.98 for the straps, glue is a business expense :D

Forget the glue, you could be accused of having a 'dangerous weapon' as you wouldn't have a good enough excuse for having it in the van, but a can of spray deodorant or hairspray should be okay .... they'd be easily identified by the smell if nothing else! :D :-D

G and D - 2011-02-28 9:56 PM

My theory is that if thieves have to climb through a window there is more chance of them leaving DNA behind than if they just have to open a door.

Even if they DID leave DNA behind there's no way that would be of any interest to anyone for a simple burglary .... :-S

Get yourself a good alarm and use it, both when out of the van and in it overnight with an isolation facility for the internal sensors.

Quote "Cab door windows are toughened, not laminated. One crack with a pointed object on the glass and it shatters, then lift off bar, release lock from inside, and open door. There, how long did that take? Less time then it took me to type it!" Unquote

That is what I think which is why I asked if anyone had used this bar as one knock up with a hammer would probably dislodge it but I could be wrong. (I have occasionally been wrong!!)

Quote "Even if they DID leave DNA behind there's no way that would be of any interest to anyone for a simple burglary ...." Unquote

That would depend entirely on which police force whoops police service covered the area you were in when becoming the victim of crime and on what their policy was on theft from vehicle (not a burglary) and whether there was an obvious DNA source like blood.

Of course I would not be leaving stuff on display. I am stupid but not that stoopid !! Although where to hide the laptop is going to involve some creativity. It wouldn't fit inside one of those empty tins that are meant to look like baked bean cans or inside the hem of the curtains. Might make a padded cover to look like a pillow, cover it with a matching pillow case and leave it with the other pillows on the bed.

Don't think spraying glue at intruders would be such a good idea. Think of the mess it would make of the interior. At least furniture polish smells better !!!

Not too worried about break ins whilst in the van as they would come off worse, but we plan on leaving the van parked up probably in remote places whilst doing the Coast to Coast Walk.

I have now found out the van has Ford fitted dead locks on the cab doors so will just have to rely on those and the HEO safe locks on the garage door and habitation door in the hope of preventing theft from and maybe a steering wheel lock and the immoboliser to prevent theft of. Who takes notice of an alarm going off? Thieves would just hide around the bend and come back when it stopped or once they realised the coast was clear.

Brian - how do the dead locks work? Do they have a bolt that goes into the door frame top and bottom like a house door? If it is just an extra long bolt where the keyhole is what stops the door being levered open at the top which is a common way of breaking into cars? Lever it open enough to get a hand or implement in to undo the locks. But if the dead locks do have bolts top and bottom it should stop that method I suppose.

G and D - 2011-03-01 5:02 PM .................. Brian - how do the dead locks work? Do they have a bolt that goes into the door frame top and bottom like a house door? If it is just an extra long bolt where the keyhole is what stops the door being levered open at the top which is a common way of breaking into cars? Lever it open enough to get a hand or implement in to undo the locks. But if the dead locks do have bolts top and bottom it should stop that method I suppose.

In reality, "deadlocks" is a bit of a misnomer.  I assume yours will be the same as ours (said simple Simon ;-)), in which case they are remotely operated from the key fob.  Two presses in succession on the "lock" button activates the deadlocks (can also be done via the single keyhole in the driver's door).  All this does is to disengage the internal door releases, so pulling them to the usual "unlock" position, has no effect.  However, since the Transit locks are, actually quite good - as poor old (make that young! :-() Peter Rosenthal discovered, when the tea leaves re-styled his door with a hammer trying to get in - disabling the inner releases is a simple, but quite effective, way of making life difficult for the would-be thief.

Sadly, you will never make your van bullet proof, so to speak, and it is probable the habitation door is the next soft target in line, followed by the "easy open" plastic windows.  However, I console myself with the thought that a logical thief just wants in-and-out quick, with minimal chance of detection.  So, if your van makes life difficult on the first pass, he'll more likely move on, than mount a concerted attack! 

The flaw in this argument, as you will have spotted, is "thief", and "logic".  But then, it's an imperfect world, and all measures have their drawbacks and weaknesses.  Still, so far, so good!  :-)

Brian Kirby - 2011-03-01 7:02 PM

Sadly, you will never make your van bullet proof, so to speak

I'm told G4 and other security firms sometimes sell off their surplus vehicles. A home conversion on one of those should do it!! :D

Short of that, I'm with Brian and Bruce on this - life's too short to try to eliminate ALL risks, and the Ford "deadlocks" (or whatever) are pretty good. Only thing is, be quite sure the key is where you can reach it quickly, as there's no other way for you to get OUT once they're engaged. :$

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2011-03-01 1:53 PM

Forget the glue, you could be accused of having a 'dangerous weapon' as you wouldn't have a good enough excuse for having it in the van, but a can of spray deodorant or hairspray should be okay .... they'd be easily identified by the smell if nothing else! :D :-D

I am a pelmet maker so I am entitled to have spray glue! as I never know when I will feel the urge to make a pelmet 8-)

Besides before I use it I can say this is a "stick up" (lol)

Just as an aside if you are a bit paranoid then you can get a window film to stick on the glass which would stop any window being smashed, but it would need to be put on professionally to look ok ;-)

Another thought! buy an old van like ours, then they might feel sorry for you and break in, to leave you few quid :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
I was talking to a guy of 74 when last in France who had for years traveled without incident. However they did have an experience we all hope not to have, and I thought he had come up with a good idea. He was telling me they rather stupidly stayed on a M/way aire on a previous trip, and during the night they were disturbed by someone who it had turned out, probably used something like a stanley knife to slice through the quarter light rubber, so gaining access the interior door handle. Luckily they were awakened, but very unnerved by the experience. He had since wired up a small siren to the cab interior light fitting, but also had used Araldite to stick a personal panic alarm to both quarter light glasses, with the activation pin similaly stuck on the door frame. He was quite proud of his solution, and all for just a few quid.

Guest Tracker

These work well when fixed to cover the door locking pins. They are cheap, a highly visible deterrent and look locked even when they are not - as long as they are swung to cover the locked pins that is!

http://www.wickes.co.uk/PVCU-Window-Lock/invt/188193

I'm not sure if newer vans still have the pins taht rise when the door is unlocked on their cab door locks but older vans certainly do!

Guest peter
1footinthegrave - 2011-03-01 8:14 PM

He had since wired up a small siren to the cab interior light fitting, but also had used Araldite to stick a personal panic alarm to both quarter light glasses, with the activation pin similaly stuck on the door frame. He was quite proud of his solution, and all for just a few quid.

That siren idea is brilliant. I've got one that would be heard half a mile away, I'll have to fit it tomorrow. With a switch to turn it off of course. :D

Breaking into an occupied van counts as burglary and body fluids, tissue including hair is all that is needed for DNA. A existing or future DNA record is in theory sufficient to link offendor to crime.

Swabbed a few cheeks before I retired.

Cash in the force budget to cover the cost is a different matter as the National Forensic service has gone bust.

Guest 1footinthegrave

We want to keep them out in the first place.

Even so I doubt even after you've had the fight with some one from God knows what part of the world, and managed to grab some of their hair I doubt their DNA would be on a data base. Also I was under the impression that normal house burglary is rarely treated with much vigor these days in any event.

Archived