"The Shortcomings of Caravans"

Gwendolyn

That sounds as if it might be a title of a book by Alexander McCall Smith. I read it somewhere, in the context of someone complaining about Caravan Club sites which, in the writer’s opinion are geared up for the “shortcomings of caravans”.

So I wonder what they are. The shortcomings I mean. And what are the shortcomings of motorhomes? Well none, if that's what you want to use.

If one prefers a caravan, then the shortcomings are minimal to that person. Likewise a tent.. or a trailer tent.

Then of course there are those who see many shortcomings in all forms a of camping and would never stay in anything less than a 4* hotel…..

The writer I've quoted then went on to observe that he watched in amusement as a “tugger” took ages to set up his outfit and erect an awning, all the while he had the kettle on….

Equally I could tell of observing a motorhomer who took 2 hours to attach a safari room; another who drove up in a large outfit, followed by wife in car, and then spent 2 hours re-positioning, getting out the awning, pitching a drive away tent for the children, getting windbreak in place, while we, in our caravan, not only had the kettle on but had moved onto eating dinner, bottle of wine opened. Yet a third drove in, unhitched a trailer with car, the spent about an hour manoeuvring and re-positioning motorhome, car and trailer.

On various Forums I have come across differences of opinion re Aires and Campsites and Wild camping; fixed bed or convertible lounge; towing a car or not… all have their fans and many are convinced that their way is the best way.

Another area of diverse opinion - CC v C&CC. And in the magazines of both endless letters and grouses about:

Windbreaks [use of], barbeques [smoking], watching TV [antisocial], dogs, children, dogs [again], computers [antisocial], groundsheets [ruining grass], dogs [again]. Oh yes… and Cutting Across My Pitch on the Way to the Wash Block. Heinous Crime that one.

The letter writers who complain about the TV watchers and computer users urge them to “enjoy the Great Outdoors” [well worn cliché]. Well….. I don’t ALWAYS use caravan / motorhome to do active things in the Great Outdoors… often I use it as a base to go on a course, visit National Trust properties , go to a theatre… not outdoors at all… indoor stuff. And why not?

But really I suppose, one doesn’t need to defend oneself at all. The reasons for ‘camping’, I use the word loosely, are no doubt as varied as the people who do it.

Then again, motorhome magazines have endless grouses about parking motorhomes [difficulty of] and attitude of councils in UK to motorhomes [unwelcoming].

There is no one size fits all I guess… although some would wish it were so…. as long as everyone conforms to their chosen method…..

We have recently bought a [small] motorhome but have retained out [small, 2 berth] caravan as we still see a use for that when we want to go somewhere and stay put. Also, still have some tents stashed away in the garage and the camping trailer… but no-longer a trailer tent [that was sold years ago].

So we are tuggers as well as motorhomers, and campers too when the need arises. And I was interested to read on another forum a motorhomer who said he will gravitate to other motorhomers when on a site, but not tuggers or campers….. Well, it’s understandable really, naturally, we do undergo a dramatic character transformation when using the one and not the other.

Are there any other “split personality” campers out there?

Whilst I'm well publicised on here for making it clear that, "I want to be alone" when on site, I'll speak to anyone.

Briefly.

I was a tenter, never had a caravan or trailer tent. I wish we had have experienced a trailer tent, it's something that we really never quite thought of.

Tenting? Loved it, Lady Thornber however was somewhat lukewarm on the subject. I often look at young (and older) tent campers wistfully whilst on site in France and think, how ruddy simple was life then?

But then I'll wake up at 3am to reorganize my bladder, step 4ft from our bed into the bathroom and think stuff tenting for a lark :D

Martyn

LordThornber - 2011-03-01 4:23 PM

I was a tenter, never had a caravan or trailer tent. I wish we had have experienced a trailer tent, it's something that we really never quite thought of.

Tenting? Loved it, Lady Thornber however was somewhat lukewarm on the subject. I often look at young (and older) tent campers wistfully whilst on site in France and think, how ruddy simple was life then?

But then I'll wake up at 3am to reorganize my bladder, step 4ft from our bed into the bathroom and think stuff tenting for a lark :D

Martyn

Loved our trailer tent. Went out to buy a new one - came home with a caravan. [We are talking about 20 years ago now.]

Hated towing caravan long distances. Bought a frame tent.

Hated putting up frame tent, bought a quick erect tent.

Sold caravan.

Got older. Wanted more comfort.

Bought another caravan.

Missed camping, used tent.

Changed caravan.

Would like easier touring.

Been fancying a motorhome for 20+ years.

Bought one.

Love it.

On one recent trip - hankered after caravan so we could have used car for exploring down narrow lanes..... sale of caravan off. It's had a reprieve We will keep both.

Shortcomings??? All forms of camping have them.... and I love them all!

Gwendolyn - 2011-03-01 3:18 PM

... On various Forums I have come across differences of opinion re Aires and Campsites and Wild camping; fixed bed or convertible lounge; towing a car or not… all have their fans and many are convinced that their way is the best way.

Another area of diverse opinion - CC v C&CC. And in the magazines of both endless letters and grouses about:

Windbreaks [use of], barbeques [smoking], watching TV [antisocial], dogs, children, dogs [again], computers [antisocial], groundsheets [ruining grass], dogs [again]. Oh yes… and Cutting Across My Pitch on the Way to the Wash Block. Heinous Crime that one.

So we are tuggers as well as motorhomers, and campers too when the need arises...

Are there any other “split personality” campers out there?

There are some very good observations there.. (lol)

(..although you did forget the Gas stove v Petrol stove, debate.. :-D )

We're still quite new to MHing,only having moved straight from tents some 4-5 years ago.

(We "bypassed" caravans for no other reason than we've never had I car I'd feel confident towing with).

We've still got tents,canopies and tarps stuffed under beds and on top of wardrobes though(..coz they'll come in handy.. ;-) ).

We did use our little pop up tent for 3 nigths last Easter,the OH wasn't happy,as she wanted us to take the MH(..but I had some rose tinted idea about back to basics,travelling light,waking up with the birds etc).Well,I really shot myself in the foot with that though,because it hammered down all weekend! *-)

I do like the idea of maybe getting a Dandy Dart or one of those small Eriba caravans..but in reality I doubt very much whether we'd use it,not when we've got a bought'n'paid for MH sitting on the driveway...

Chris ;-)

LordThornber - 2011-03-01 4:23 PM

...Tenting? Loved it, Lady Thornber however was somewhat lukewarm on the subject. I often look at young (and older) tent campers wistfully whilst on site in France and think, how ruddy simple was life then?

Martyn

Yeah..that pretty much somes it up for us! :D

Chris

As the OP has stated correctly there is a vast array of opinions both for and against either tents, caravans or motorhomes. To each their own as they say. I would suggest that the common thread is a desire by all to try something different from home whether it be for a weekend or months or even years at a time. However, apart from possibly tents no one can accept truthfully that caravans or motorhomes are cheap pastimes even if you have something that cost very little to purchase. It still costs ever increasing amounts to move, tax, insure and even site somewhere.

If there is any one thing I have noticed over the years is that possibly too many people ‘jump’ in to the hobby without really examining all the pros and cons. One can see large numbers of nearly new motorhomes with minimal mileage on forecourts literally ‘dumped’ by people who have used them once and discovered too late that it was not for them. A similar situation does exist for caravanners but is not so prevalent. I suspect the approaching retirement, the possibility of a largish lump sum and of course reading too many magazines, will give any blue blooded citizen (usually male I note) a very rosy viewpoint of what is the plan for the future. Very often the spouse has not had any chance to make input, and the first trip is an eye opener in more ways than one. Toilet walls in any recreational vehicle are usually thin plywood, so modesty can be in short supply. Ah, but she loves you anyway????????

Many of us have grown up with caravans and motorhomes from early ages and are fully aware that a wet soggy campsite in February may not be everyone’s idea of paradise. However, the good days sitting outside in the sun with a glass of wine or beer or even a cup of tea, can make it all seem worthwhile. I also defy anyone to not agree that for children, at least till the onset of teenagehood and hatred of the world in general, caravanning or motorhoming is an ideal way to get them involved and having fun.

The OP made many statements in her Post, but I am not sure what her own opinion actually was on any of them, so regretfully I am unclear as to what point she was actually trying to make. She concluded her Post by stating that she was both a motorhome owner and caravan owner, although unless the motorhome is of the camper variety I do not really see why she would wish to keep the caravan. Duplicating many costs seems uneconomic and I suspect trying to put a large motorhome and a caravan on a regular pitch could lead to some interesting questions.

Love camping - always have. Be it a pup tent whilst on a walking holiday or a Eurocamp "bungalow" with our kids.

We really liked the idea of a trailer tent but they seemed so much of a mission to put them up. But they did have the advantage of your sleeping off the ground.

Then we found a secondhand Gobur (it was actually a Sterckman) type folding caravan that was truly superb. We only sold that for a five birth Avondale when we thought the idea of an shower and loo would be good.

Then we traded that in for a TA fixed bed which is super luxury - but the bit I like best?

Sitting in the awning, under the canvas with a glass of red in my hand.

We will probably migrate to a motorhome when we retire and want to tour a lot more. But for now, the idea of using a MH is not as attractive as a caravan where once on site, you have the towcar to explore in and a great base to come back to.

But as previously said - each to his own.

You know :-D it helps if you can deveope a THICK SKIN

A BLIND EYE

and A DEAF EAR ;-)

carry on with what YOU like and let those that pontificate get on with it Who Cares as long as YOU enjoy what your doing. (lol)

Guest Tracker

We too have followed the tortuous route of small tent, big tent, caravan, folding caravan, boat, motor homes and all were great fun and fitted the bill according to our budget, needs, storage space in their time which leads me to one conclusion -

All have their merits and demerits which are well documented so it's 'orses fer courses innit!

Guest pelmetman

I reckon I have a fair history as a camper :D

Starting as a boy scout....dib..dib...dib...digging bogs, camp fire sing songs, and smoking tea leaves (lol

)

To my parents first caravan, a second hand Thomsan Glenevis, a 4 berth van.............shame there was 6 of us (lol)

My older brother and I took it in turns to sleep in the top bunk, or the camp bed, as my younger brother and sister were end to end in the bottom bunk......................unfortunatly I rolled out of the top bunk on to my brother below, so I was bannished for ever to the camp bed *-)

Then I left home and joined the Navy my parents bought a 6 berth Thomson Gleneagle 8-)

So I tried camping Navy fashion ie a 48 hours on Dartmoor with a ground sheet and a 24 hour ration pack.... in the winter 8-)

Then my first motorhome trip was as a driver for another service family to Morocco, as I had been put in charge of a couple of campers bought for service families to hire in Gibraltar :D

I had a camping holiday in a tent coming back from the Rock with a Honda Accord I'd bought new out there, and sold in the UK and made a profit!!on the sale of the motor, my first and only quids in profit on a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We bought our first motorhome in 1985 a Fiat Amigo........it was huge!!!!

(yes its a joke)

Then we inherited our camper the Travelhome in 92 and since then we have done what the name suggests...........we travel with our home :D

Dave225 - 2011-03-01 7:32 PM

The OP made many statements in her Post, but I am not sure what her own opinion actually was on any of them, so regretfully I am unclear as to what point she was actually trying to make. She concluded her Post by stating that she was both a motorhome owner and caravan owner, although unless the motorhome is of the camper variety I do not really see why she would wish to keep the caravan. Duplicating many costs seems uneconomic and I suspect trying to put a large motorhome and a caravan on a regular pitch could lead to some interesting questions.

Not sure I was 'making a point'... I was just musing, in this Chatterbox forum... trying to say that there is no ‘one size fits all’ in the world of camping. In a later post, in reply to another, I listed the various modes of camping we have enjoyed over the years....

We do not intend to tow the caravan with the motorhome. [Who said anything about ours being 'large'?] We are keeping the caravan because we enjoy both types of holiday. Uneconomic it may be in your eyes, but not in ours. So regretfully, I do not accept the point you are trying to make.

And that perhaps is the point that I was trying to make, that what anyone does, however anyone chooses to enjoy their hobby, it is their decision and theirs alone - windbreaks, barbeques, children and dogs and all…..

pelmetman - 2011-03-01 8:55 PM

I reckon I have a fair history as a camper :D

Starting as a boy scout....dib..dib...dib...digging bogs, camp fire sing songs, and smoking tea leaves (lol

)

That takes me back - Girl Guide camps in the 1950s. Latrines dug in a corner of field - just like the early days at Glastonbury Festival!!!

Miner's Fortnight at Porthcawl, in Grandma's "trailer" [to say caravan was thought "common"] - shaped like a duck - supposed to be aerodynamic! Shed at the side of it, painted the same colours, with tin buckets and gas lamps - I can smell the lifebuoy soap and feel the rough flannel now.

Gwendolyn,

I also was just making comments, but was just unclear about your own position on many of the comments you had made. We started with caravans in the 70's, migrated to motorhomes and are now back at the caravan stage. This was due to changing circumstances, growing family and now residence.

I admit that when I changed towcars recently I did look at a small campervan as a tug as I imagined it would give me a taste of both worlds again. Plus not only would it tow well, it would also give an extra fridge and a much higher payload in the camper for all the 'junk' we seem to have accumulated. A camper with a elevating roof would also fit my garage...just.

However, after looking at the costs of even fairly old ones I realised that my ideas were goiung to be a pretty expensive pipedream, so in the end we plumped for another car. I also suspect, hopefully wrongly, that by the time it comes round for another change, costs and age will make us look at alternative pastimes. Motorhomes do not depreciate as much as cars, at least when you are trying to buy one, but they do lose value, especially if you are selling. I guesstimate that over 10 years a large motorhome will lose about £2000 per annum average. The way fuel costs are going currently also does not fill me with optimism.

I also assume that if you are not planning to actually tow the caravan you are intending leaving it on a site either full time, or seasonal. You are not setting it up in the back garden are you?? I admit my father lived in a home made caravan in someone's back garden in the late 40's while he was working in a new area, but with just a primus stove, it was not the best.

As you state everyone has their own ideas. In reading your OP I was maybe looking for a 'punchline', and apologise for any misinterpretation.

Dave225 - 2011-03-02 11:52 AM

Gwendolyn,

I also was just making comments, but was just unclear about your own position on many of the comments you had made......

I also assume that if you are not planning to actually tow the caravan you are intending leaving it on a site either full time, or seasonal. You are not setting it up in the back garden are you??

As you state everyone has their own ideas. In reading your OP I was maybe looking for a 'punchline', and apologise for any misinterpretation.

I am confused too! That’s just it - I was just writing down the ramblings of a nearly geriatric hippy!!! That's what I meant about "split personality" - I love all forms of camping but am not a die-hard devotee of one above others [well.. maybe tenting is slipping down the list as I get older!]

Caravan is stored on driveway, well tucked away... we are, thus keeping the tow car... and husband’s little convertible....

Caravan is a very small 2 berth. Motorhome is a small campervan really [an Auto Sleepers Symbol].

We do now foresee ourselves tugging and staying put for some holidays when we don’t want to tour in Motorhome. And maybe family will use it.

And yes, OK, it all is probably not economical.... but both of us having had health scares last year [fortunately both OK as it turned out] we are "Carpe- ing the Diems" perhaps recklessly... but what the hell ... all paid for, and we cannot take the stuff with us. Growing old disgracefully.... Dear daughter is provided for. So why not!

Sorry no punch line in original post –I have not the wit to do punch lines!

Archived