Hymer Desirability?

Robinhood

I do hope this is not going to annoy those people for whome Hymer can do no wrong *-). It's a genuine personal take on the subject.

I've run motorcaravans for some 20 years or so now.

When I started, my aspiration was to own a Hymer A-class, probably at the time a B544.

They always appeared to be well-designed, comfortable and bullet-proof, and even when they were supplied by Madisons, they were an aspirational brand which commanded both a dedicated following and a premium price.

I remember calling in at Madisons on passing once, simply to drool over what they had in stock.

Time passed, Brownhills came along, and Hymer UK was formed. They started to stock them at Newark, which meant I could inspect them more often, and they became a viable proposition without travelling over-far for service. (Brownhills and myself know each other, and I've never been put-off by their reputation, after all I'm close enough to send the boys round >:-( ).

When I finally some years ago decided on an A-class, however, it was a Rapido. IMO after looking at both brands, better-built, better-equipped, and in many ways more attractive than the Hymer, at a better price.

I found myself looking much more critically at the Hymer build quality, the options and base chassis, and came to the conclusion that style was beginning to triumph over substance.

On my most recent change, I specifically wanted a Ford base, and looked at both the Exis-I and the Hymer Van. Again, I was disappointed with both the build and the general user-friendliness of them. I then looked at the Hobby van, and though it had a bit more "bling" as standard than I would normally choose, it ticked a lot more boxes than the Hymers - better built, better equipped, nicer environment, and, for what I wanted, cheaper (though not cheap!).

Frankly, I'd reached a point where I wasn't seeing Hymer as anything that I had 20 years ago! (other than still attracting a premium on price, and apparently still a dedicated following).

On Monday, I had a look round Brownhills in Newark (who have quite a lot of stock at the moment), and found myself looking at this and last year's Hymers.

The build quality of the new models was (IMO) absolutely appalling, with badly fitted parts, veneers not properly applied, everything lightweight and far from hard-wearing, and on the first 'van I tried, the bathroom door was solidly stuck shut (not with the catch, simply interfering with the frame), on the next two, I manage to get the door open with difficulty, but could not close either, due to the interference with the frame. It was symptomatic of the fit and finish everywhere.

Not only that, but at least last years B-class model had the smart and archetypal front looks, this year's model is simply plug-ugly (especially from the side - a bit like the low-selling Pilote City-van).

Is it just me, or have they lost their way? I just don't see them as at all desirable now.

Guest JudgeMental

we are going for a panel van and really like the finish of the Hymer Car 322. similar in spec to the Adria/Karmann Davis but better seats and bed and for what its worth probably easier to sell on because of the name...

But you are right, the bigger vans are a long way from the bomb proof consruction of years ago, but the Car 322 has an air of quality about it that the others simply dont have.

We had a Hymer a few years ago and it was pretty bad but this was only one and probably not a reason to go off them altogether. However I went to the NEC again this year as my wife and I are probably going to change our van at the end of the year. We looked at all the vans in our price range and as we do not need a four season van, three is just fine for us, are not willing to pay the massive premium being charged for this. Bearing this in mind the best designed, for us, are still the Swift group. The German vans, again in our range, are very poor value for money with no noticable rise in quality, and layouts, for us, are poor. So not only Hymer, they and others are now relying on 'badge engineering', bit like Mercedes have been doing for years.

My very first motorhome was a 600 series twin wheel Merc which I bought second hand from HymerUK, the owner new was the MD of JCB, it was the Bees Knees and I will be the first to admit my regret of parting with it. It was perfect in every respect and I've never found a motorhome that ticked all the boxes like that did since. My only concern was that it drank diesel and I should have uprated the final drive and fitted an overdrive gearbox.

Every time we visit the Belgium dealer for the annual damp check we always have a good poke around the new models in the showroom. We have not seen any of the faults you mention. I will say I don't like the latest design of lockers with side opening doors. You may not like the front end but it has made vast improvements to the drop down bed.

We have had our van 2½ years and have not had any build quality related problems. When we looked around Düsseldorf before buying, we went round on the last day of the show and one thing that stood out was after thousands of people tramping through the vans Hymer's had the least bits damaged & that helped to sway us to buy a Hymer. The other deciding factor was the body construction the Pual system they use with a steel frame PU foam & marine ply for the inner walls.

We previously had a Hobby caravan although good value for money it was the bottom end of the market and build quality wasn't bad but not on par with Hymer.

For some reason in UK Hymer's are perceived as being up market they are not they I would say towards the upper end of mid range vans and sold at inflated prices by Brownhills buy in Germany or Belgium and they are not that expensive.

Talking of Brownhills I was in Swindon yesterday so I went and had a look at Brownhills the impression I got was that they are struggling again. They claim to be the largest dealer in Europe they had 7 new Hymers in stock one was a mid range model the other 6 were down market ones, picked up a catalogue it doesn't even list half the range. Didn't have much stock of other makes either & in the accessory shop half the sheves were empty certainly would not give buyers any confidence.

lennyhb - 2011-03-02 4:08 PM

You may not like the front end but it has made vast improvements to the drop down bed.

Whilst I've felt that the overall quality was falling for some time, I must admit I was surprised by the general "repeatability" of the faults, which is really what prompted me to post.

You may not like the front end but it has made vast improvements to the drop down bed.

Yes, so I understand. Couldn't vouch for it without trying, but this was one of the advantages that the Rapido had against the previous design, when I bought it. Maybe an improvement, but not easy on the eye.

The current Exis-I however (where the drop-down bed is lengthways) seemed an incredibly flimsy arrangement to me.

Talking of Brownhills I was in Swindon yesterday so I went and had a look at Brownhills the impression I got was that they are struggling again.

At Newark it struck me as just the opposite - stock has been very low over the winter, to the point that I might have echoed your worries, but seems to be significantly higher now (but it is the start of the selling season - as evidenced by quite lot of people browsing on a cold, grey Monday).

Not casting aspersions at your 'van by the way, simply commenting on what I found. :-S

Robinhood - 2011-03-02 4:24 PM

The current Exis-I however (where the drop-down bed is lengthways) seemed an incredibly flimsy arrangement to me.

Maybe but it is £18000 cheaper than the equivalent B Class and £22000 cheaper than a B Class SL which is the model range most associated with Hymer.

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are not in the Hymer fan club. I am afraid that I am of the other camp. Rapidos look great and on the strength of that I purchased one in feb 09. An A class on a fiat,and it was new. The design was excellent however after my wife got stabbed with the 4mm support rods, with the sharpened ends in the seat I started to look deeper. 3 or 4 things went wrong and rapido in the Mayenne were not interested in putting them right in a reasonable time scale. WE found them quite uncooperative until I parked the van on their forecourt an told them to fix it. The worst problem. well after the stabbing, was the radio aeriel had been leaking water inbetween the outside panel on the roof of the van and the inside roof lining. When you had real heavy rain it would cascade over the lift up bed *-) . I could go on it was a catalogue of irritating faults and bad workmanship and superficial glitz

We now have a new Hymer B class 594, you know the really 'ugly one' ( I don't think). The van is brilliant. Well constructed, warm and cosy when skiing and it is possibly the best van we have ever owned. Things were not perfect as the awning which we ordered was a bit too short. Not Hymer UK's fault its just that the Germans measure the awning from the back of the garage whereas we tend to position them conveniently to the position of the door *-) Anyway, it was changed at no extra cost.

The whole topic of what individuals think about designs really gets summed up by that phrase we used to use when chatting up the birds at Nottingham Uni....... I don't like the look of yours Bill ;-) ;-)

Cheers Ned

I dont know but have a suspicion that Hymer are doing their damdest to make the vehicles lighter so they have an adequate payload. Lighter tends to be flimsier!. Hymer seem to be getting closer to Frankia build techniques. Up to now most Hymer owners travelled overloaded knowing that the likelihood of being pulled in for a weighbridge test was miniscule. Many purposely never went near a weighbridge so they didn,t know. But police in various European countries are getting far more active in this respect as instructed by governments.

This is why we went from a rather overloaded 3.5 tonner to a 6.4 tonner with some margin to spare.

But as has been said diesel they do consume!

We could always de-clutter, but where,s the fun in that?

C.

ned - 2011-03-02 5:18 PM

The whole topic of what individuals think about designs really gets summed up by that phrase we used to use when chatting up the birds at Nottingham Uni....... I don't like the look of yours Bill ;-) ;-)

Cheers Ned

....but then, after a pint or two of Shippo's, in the Buttery, the beer goggles took over. 8-)

Guest pelmetman

A few years ago we spent a fortnight driving my old man back from Spain in his Hymer, it was a nightmare especially when ever he wanted to drive 8-)

So I had time to experience the Hymer brand, which I found to be ok, but nothing special, the upholstery didn't seem to be able to put up with my old mans weight, as the cushion where he sat developed a permanent sag *-) I was also surprised that the sink drain pipe split 8-) Plus the way the base vehicle (Fiat) struggled to get grip, going up steep hills :-S

But worst of all, as we are keen cooks the lack of worktop was a real pain *-)

Progress eh? :D

Guest Peter James
Stock is still coming in at Brownhills Newark. I was there yesterday to change my gas bottle, they have even got new Hymers for sale parked all round the edge of the visitors car park, everywhere else was full. I had a quick look inside one of them which looked fabulous. But I was surprised to see it sits on 15" wheels instead of the 16" I would have expected in a premium vehicle of that price range. Not that the woman looking round it seemed to care. All she was interested in was getting a pattern book to choose the upholstery.

My 3.5 tonne Hymer 544 is now 6 years old from new. Apart from the electric step, nothing has gone wrong. It feels like it will go on forever. It works in all weathers and there is no sign of damp.

It lacks soul, but design and build quality are better than anything else I see at the price apart from perhaps Euromobil.

I'm a contented Hymer owner.

Brock - 2011-03-04 10:33 PM

It lacks soul, but design and build quality are better than anything else I see at the price ...

Interesting observation and I wonder if there'll come a time when quality becomes that good that none of them will have any soul - like Japanese cars. Makes you think but doubt if I'll be around

V

Vernon B - 2011-03-05 5:27 PM

Brock - 2011-03-04 10:33 PM

It lacks soul, but design and build quality are better than anything else I see at the price ...

Interesting observation and I wonder if there'll come a time when quality becomes that good that none of them will have any soul - like Japanese cars. Makes you think but doubt if I'll be around

V

How I wish the Japs would enter the m/h and caravan market. If anyone could deal with internal space layouts properly and improve quality its got to be the Japs/Koreans.

Give me a Jap car anytime that keeps going and going, rather than a better styled car that is unreliable. I'd take reliability over style everytime.

I used to drive only French cars, then bought several Toyota's and Nissan's, no contest, Japs win every time.

Archived