Number of axles

nuevoboy

Numbskull here again. :D

Just booked online, a couple of CC sites for next week.

On the form it asks for number of axles.

Whilst presuming this was mostly for caravan users, I put our 'van down as 1 axle (on the rear obviously).

Should I have put down 2 (1 front, 1 rear)?

Hope they're not expecting a uni'van to turn up. ;-)

I have a tag axle van. the 'check box' on the website is actually intended for Caravans, single or twin axle. I think that you will find that you only have the two options to input '1' or '2'. I always put '2' but if i did not have the Tag Axle i would put '1'.

On the right hand side of the campsite description there is a bit that says something like 'Site Info'. In there it tends to state the maximum length of Outfits and if they do not accept twin axles. However, these are not always accurate e.g. C&CC site at Devizes, their website states that it will not take outfits over a certain length. Because my M'home exceeded this I rang the site directly and they told me they can accommodate RV's and that they have told the Head Office to amend the Web site details, which to date they have not *-)

Some sites dont allow tag axle motor homes or twin axle caravans , this i assume is to stop the grass verges or pitches from being torn up , but a phone call is all it takes and you might find you can get in , i had a tag axle 28 footer , [ 3 axles ] and even though the site info said i couldnt use them , when i rang them they said ok . Worth trying . ;-)

At Devises the wardens have changed, but so has the site. There is now much better access for longer vans. We stayed there with our 8.5 metre tardis over the New year. Usefull pub nearby or along the towpath.

C.

nuevoboy - 2011-03-02 4:18 PM

Numbskull here again. :D

Just booked online, a couple of CC sites for next week.

On the form it asks for number of axles.

Whilst presuming this was mostly for caravan users, I put our 'van down as 1 axle (on the rear obviously).

Should I have put down 2 (1 front, 1 rear)?

Hope they're not expecting a uni'van to turn up. ;-)

When using the online form you are asked to choose your outfit from a 'drop down' box. This gives a number of options including Motorhome and caravan if you choose caravan it will ask how many axles if you choose motorhome it will change the question and ask if your outfit is an RV.

But don't ask my why because all the CC sites I have been on allow you to choose your pitch so I can't see that having advance warning of outfits that may be difficult to position isn't much help to the site managers

:-S

eric hobson - 2011-03-03 11:49 AM

With regard to Devizes, tried in Oct. 2010 with tag-axle 28ft 7in. Point blank refusal by wardens, could not make them change their minds, even directed me to site next door. I believe wardens have now changed but who sets the rules? :->

Shocked and Stunned. I will try again later in the year and see what they say. I have an Autotrail Comanche 28' 7" long and Tag Axle, stayed there last year with no problems whatsover, no problems with approach roads, no problem with entry/exit to the site, pitches (hardstanding) accommodate the length of the van so no ripping up of grass. If they refuse me I will ask for a reason, a change of Warden is not a good enough answer and I will take it to their Head Office if needs be.

I stayed at Devizes in June. The C&C Club website wont let you book a sight if over 26ft. You then ring which I did with my 27ft Euramobil. Booked OK/ no problems with access, (not sure what the problems were)

Parked however on the hardstanding opposite the office which is a bit more like the car park.

I have to ring all C&C club sites because of the lack of input on the website over 26ft.

Dave

PS. I agree that you can only put 1 or 2 axles on the CC website booking. No facility for 3. I,m a TAG axle and I usually put 2

Hi Big Momma, when I tried to book devizes the warden said they could only accomodate up to 28ft. When I said I could overhang a pitch she said that was not possible as all pitches were backed onto hedges and I would be stuck out in the road. I told her the picture in the club brochure clearly showed a pitch which I could use without problem, she said that was reserved for disabled use and was kept clear at all times for that purpose. At that point I gave up and re-planned my route using friendlier sites.

Because of length I always ring the sites direct and this is the only time I have had a problem. Also stopped at Ashbourne last year, nice site with many large pitches but listed as 26ft max. Could not pre-book with club even though computer showed I had stayed there a few months earlier. :->

The Caravan Club web booking arrangements are clearly geared to Caravans of the non motor species.

As Clive says I have yet to see a one axle motor-home so I always pit "two" in the drop-down box.

I have actually written to the CC pointing out this aberation in the programming of the booking site (and suggesting that it may be symtomatic of a more general lack of appreciation of the differing needs of motor-caravanners).

Regretably I have had no response whatsover from them !

Archived