Desperately seeking a 12 volt blender

helenG

For health reasons, often have fruit milkshake for breakfast every morning making sure I get my 5 a day. Usually in the van, we forgo this and make do with cereal but we are hoping to go off on a long trip soon and will miss our fruity start to the day.

We don’t carry many gizmos with us as don’t want to be the sort of people who trip the electrics every time we cook, but did wonder if anyone has ever come across a blender that works on 12 volts?

thanks for any help- you will be keeping us going.....

Guest Tracker

Hi Helen - welcome to the madhouse!

I don't imagine your mains blender uses that many watts of power so an inverter (boosts 12v to 230v) might be your best bet?

If you could look at the label on your mains voltage blender and tell us what wattage or amperage it is we can help you decide the best way forward.

It is not a difficult job to DIY fit an inverter but you do need to know what you are doing as getting it wrong could destroy your van. However any competent caraban or auto electrician should be able to do this for you.

This is the sort of thing I have in mind - but I am not an electrical expert!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/600w-dc-12v-to-ac-230v-power-invertor-48724

Can only find USA supply from a quick search.

Appears they are popular amongst the American Boating fraternity.

One of the links identifies "Coleman", so if you can find a local "Coleman" stockist they may be able to help.

http://www.blenderexpert.com/index.html

http://www.amazon.com/Blender-Glass-Carafe-Stainless-Steel/dp/B001449XFE

http://www.shopwiki.com/12-volt-blender

Hi Helen, and again welcome to the forum,

Am I right in assuming from your second paragraph that you do normally use EHU (electric hook up) when on a site?

If so then take your 230v hand blender from home.

I have just looked at our Braun hand held blender and it is rated at 600W max. This equates to 2.6A and should be well within any EHU's capacity. If overly concerned about tripping the supply then just ensure everything else is turned off before using it.

As an aside, to get an equivalent power (600W) blender to run on 12v would need 50A! That would need some seriously heavy cables and is far more than any cigar lighter can deliver! (normally 10A max). I suspect any 12v blender will be of little use to stir anything more than a milk shake!!!

HTH,

Keith.

Guest 1footinthegrave
That's OK if you've got all your teeth, I'm down to six, maybe I should get a blender :-(

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-04 2:38 PM

That's OK if you've got all your teeth, I'm down to six, maybe I should get a blender :-(

Or maybe a good set of dentures. Would you blend all your food? I don't think so. Liquidising fruit is just another fad from across the pond. Even with your limited number of molars coupled with a good set of dentures you should be able to cope with fruit.

Helen

Probably the simplest and cheapest solution will be to take whatever you use at home, if it is just a blender.  (If it is a juicer, it may be rather bulky for what it does.) 

Somewhere on the blender (probably underneath) will be a rating plate, that will tell you (among other things) its Voltage, and Wattage or Amperage.  If it quotes Amps, if less the 5A it should be fine to use pretty well anywhere without risk of tripping a site supply, but you may have to restrict yourselves to using only one appliance at a time.  If it quotes Watts, simply divide this by 230 (the nominal supply Voltage), to get the Amps.  However, since 5A @ 230V = 1150W, I'd be very surprised if you would be even half way there with your blender, probably nearer 300W or 1.3A.  You could even use that in Portugal!  :-)

It's the electric kettle you have to watch, with many being near 3kW, which will take out most site supplies!  You will need one near 750W, if possible a bit less, with reduced capacity - so it doesn't take all day to boil.  :-D

starvin marvin - 2011-03-05 11:57 AM

Or maybe a good set of dentures. Would you blend all your food? I don't think so. Liquidising fruit is just another fad from across the pond. Even with your limited number of molars coupled with a good set of dentures you should be able to cope with fruit.

We had to liquidise gf mothers fruit for her, strange she could eat such things as corn flakes but fruit would get 'stuck' and she would end up in coughing fits, ah the delights of terminal oesophageal cancer.

colin - 2011-03-05 8:35 PM

We had to liquidise gf mothers fruit for her, strange she could eat such things as corn flakes but fruit would get 'stuck' and she would end up in coughing fits, ah the delights of terminal oesophageal cancer.

Colin....thats the worst thing ive ever heard!!!!!!!!

that cant be right

i didnt like my mother in law.. but throat cancer!!!! i must have read it wrong

jon

Guest 1footinthegrave

I am going to make more use of smileys, it was a joke, can't see the funny side of the throat cancer bit though ( delights ), I've got a pal who has been to hell and back with this dreadful disease, just a small lump on his neck was the only clue like a blind boil, only 49, non smoker, done all the right things, eaten all the right foods, fit as a flea, etc. Mmmmmmm

Well it just goes to show what goes throu peoples minds that they would think that I would wish such a long and painfull death to the person that was more of a mother to me than my biological mother.

And for those that think I'm rather flipant about it, well if you've had cancer and are in remission you also might develope a black humour about it. ;-) (thought I'd better include that smiley)

p.s. Sorry Helen to have dragged this thread down to the gutter.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Colin, I guess just a bad bit of wording, I did not take it to mean what the other poster took it to mean. Perhaps folk are not ready to joke about a disease that causes people to choke, lose their voice, ad infinitum, and of course ultimately their life. Sorry for your loss, and life is S**T sometimes.

Archived