Roxie's not "new" anymore!

Tony Jones

Strictly speaking, of course, she stopped being new when she left the forecourt.

Then she stopped being new again when the next registration code (58) came out. But neither of those made any practical difference since I wasn't planning on selling her.

Now it's really hit home. On March 1st, the warranty ran out AND she was due her first MOT.

Local garage has passed her, but reported brake pads getting thin (fair enough at 40k miles). However, also reported brake DISCS ridged round the edges, due to pads not reaching all the way. Total cost £350! :'(

Wondering if they were trying this on, I rang the Main Dealer 12 miles away, who know the van well. Apparently this is pretty normal nowadays, and if I took it there they'd charge topside of £500! Small consolation was that if I'd had it diagnosed last week it still wouldn't have been done under warranty - wear and tear!

So I'm back in the "real world," of garage bills and MOT tests. AND need to sort out my own breakdown cover once again!

Ah, well, nothing lasts forever does it?

Guest Peter James

The local MOT station told me my old van needed new discs as the braking was a bit uneven, caused by a rust patch on the discs, caused by it being stood for a while. I just sanded the discs smooth and it passed. But the rust kept coming back in the same spot, so the MOT station was right and I had to get new discs in the end.

Thing is, it isn't just the pads that wear. The discs wear down a surprising amount too, and they have to be a minimum thickness for strength and heat absorbtion

Since they did away with asbestos in pads, the pads now have a high iron content and are very hard and wear the discs down much quicker. It is quite normal these days to have to replace the discs at the first or second pad change.

catinou - 2011-03-03 12:58 PM

Tony Jones - 2011-03-03 11:49 AM

Ah, well, nothing lasts forever does it?

I know the feeling Tony!! ;-)

Seriously, can it really be 3 years since you got Roxie???? 8-)

'Fraid so Jenny - we're none of us getting any younger. Do you remember the time while I was "awaiting delivery," and used this avatar?

image2.jpg.dee79de45e3aca36858639d5f6784f17.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

Yes and the "Beast" is coming up to its second MOT...not in the least concerned as at last one chap said it was like new, and at only 15000 miles I should fink so

Getting a bit awkward to sell it now as if I dont order the new van in March I wont get it in time for summer trip to Croatia... might have to leave it till next year. I have 2 people interested but they have vans to sell as well*-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I don't get this replace disc thing, surely if on the brake tester they are performing within spec,and are not pulling over to one side the vehicle should "pass" or is it progress. Last year my car passed no problem but I know for a fact the discs were scored to hell, go figure, perhaps he was not looking for work that week !

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-05 7:04 PM

I don't get this replace disc thing, surely if on the brake tester they are performing within spec,and are not pulling over to one side the vehicle should "pass" or is it progress. Last year my car passed no problem but I know for a fact the discs were scored to hell, go figure, perhaps he was not looking for work that week !

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear.

Roxie passed her MOT no problem, but local garage doing the test "reported" the pads/discs situation (1-2000 miles left"), and since we're taking her to France and Spain next month I decided to let them get on with it - after I'd checked the "likelihood" with the main dealer. Dealer had actually reported the pads themselves when it last went in for a warranty job, so it was only the discs that were news to me.

Archived