Selling energy from house solar panels

art338

I've just had a call from someone telling me how I can be paid money (say £1,000) by selling back excess energy from my house panels. NO!

If the scheme is that good then this is what I will offer you ... You pay me the £1,000 first and claim back the energy that I will collect from my panels, sounds fare to me, you say its guaranteed, so you have nothing to lose.

That way I'm covered should it be cloudy every day and there's always the chance of a volcanic ash cloud covering the sun, Mt Vesuvius and other volcanoes have erupted in the past, nothing is impossible. No, there are too many hidden problems; plus governments change 'the goal posts to suit'.

If a solar panel scheme is that good why are the government and other enterprising bodies not exploiting the situation by 'planting' fields of panels to collect the energy, far cheaper than the labour intensive oil seed rape collection.

No thank you, you go first and prove it works, and then I may join.

art

Guest Peter James
You may well get enough sun in Sussex to make money on this as long as the Government grants keep coming. But you would be unlikely to get the best deal from a cold caller.

If any scheme is operated through an agent and he goes out of business then all the suggested benefits are lost.

No goverment or body would be daft enough to make a guarrantee without a let out clause, its like any house improvement scheme, a change of ownership makes the contract null and void.

If it really is guarranteed then I see no problem in paying me first as they still cannot lose.

art

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2011-03-04 2:30 PM

There's some more info on this thread.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22648&posts=18

Thanks for the update Tracker. Obviously it all depends on continuing taxpayer subsidy.

Like so many investments, it all depends on what the politicians are going to do. (and why Banks hire politicians to find out)

Guest Tracker

My understanding is that once you have your PV system up and running whatever the FIT is on the day you start is the figure that will be guaranteed for 25 years index linked.

However the FIT rate is under review, mainly to make abuse by larger solar farms less attractive, and is likely to be reduced for all new systems as soon as Chris Huhne makes his mind up.

The large scheme loopholes should have been forseen and prevented before what turns out to be yet another cock up bill was passed in the first place.

We are obviously not paying the civil servants and legal bods enough money to get quality legislation passed and right first time!

The Govt hope to get this through parliamnent before the summer recess in June, so if you are going to go for it do it sooner rather than later seems to be the name of the game?

Guest Tracker

Absolutely - you and me both!!!

But this one is an EU directive which is less untrustworthy than a UK government directive - marginally - I think!!

Archived